• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question 70% isopropyl alcohol

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Anyone know where I can get some on the cheap? Apparently the local stores are out. I accidentally bought ethyl alcohol (no I'm not drinking it). And it's an odd smell. Like GIN.
I normally buy alcohol at walmart, but with this silly coronavirus, I'm having a hard time locating it. That being said, we are growing as a business and will be needing more of it. I was fine when it was 1.96 for 32 oz at walmart. I could pick up plenty. But it seems like when I look online for larger quantities, they are a bit more expensive. Does anyone have a site that they go to buy it in bulk?

Thanks.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Try your ink supplier, our Ink supplier for the mimaki gives us swabs, alcohol, cleaning fluid, the works!

(might be a little more expensive but should do you until people stop washing their hands again)

signbrad

Like Lasermike, I always bought my solvents from a chemical supply. I could get 5-gallon and 10-gallon jugs of lacquer thinner for $7 per gal and VM&P for $4. I don't remember the cost for isopropanol but it was far cheaper than buying pints and quarts of rubbing alcohol. Once I had the jugs, I just took them back for refills. Of course, those are very old prices.

Alcohol from a chemical supply will probably be "pure" alcohol (called 99%). But if you mix it with water you achieve the same solvency as rubbing alcohol. Alcohol and water mixed is often a better general solvent than straight alcohol, because it is, technically, two solvents mixed. In my janitorial days I learned that water is the "universal solvent."

The alcohol sold in paint stores is usually ethanol that has been adulterated so that it cannot be consumed. It's known commonly as "denatured." Ethanol is miscible in water the same as isopropanol, and it's cheaper. Would it work as well?

Another ethanol I like is scotch. It, too, mixes well with a little water, as well as ice, but try it with Drambuie. The mix is called a Rusty Nail and it's amazing. Two parts scotch, one part Drambuie. Use less Drambuie if it's too sweet for you. Amber and delicious. But drink just one.

Brad in Kansas City

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Like Lasermike, I always bought my solvents from a chemical supply. I could get 5-gallon and 10-gallon jugs of lacquer thinner for $7 per gal and VM&P for $4. I don't remember the cost for isopropanol but it was far cheaper than buying pints and quarts of rubbing alcohol. Once I had the jugs, I just took them back for refills. Of course, those are very old prices.

Alcohol from a chemical supply will probably be "pure" alcohol (called 99%). But if you mix it with water you achieve the same solvency as rubbing alcohol. Alcohol and water mixed is often a better general solvent than straight alcohol, because it is, technically, two solvents mixed. In my janitorial days I learned that water is the "universal solvent."

The alcohol sold in paint stores is usually ethanol that has been adulterated so that it cannot be consumed. It's known commonly as "denatured." Ethanol is miscible in water the same as isopropanol, and it's cheaper. Would it work as well?

Another ethanol I like is scotch. It, too, mixes well with a little water, as well as ice, but try it with Drambuie. The mix is called a Rusty Nail and it's amazing. Two parts scotch, one part Drambuie. Use less Drambuie if it's too sweet for you. Amber and delicious. But drink just one.

Brad in Kansas City
Come on now, you're not a real painter if you can drink just 1

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
26b582fcdf7db65d46aa2edbe2fa6de977cc5d47-14.jpg
Just got back from walmart and they were all out. I have enough on hand to last about a month. What was more odd was the isle that they have the teeth flossers was cleaned out dry... nothing left. Explain that one

JimmyG

Ha! all our local stores are cleaned out of hand sanitizer, alcohol, glycerin, aloe gel, paint masks and TOILET PAPER.....go figure...!

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Ha! all our local stores are cleaned out of hand sanitizer, alcohol, glycerin, aloe gel, paint masks and TOILET PAPER.....go figure...!
Yea, I live on one side of Houston and my business is on the other side of Houston. I think I've probably checked every CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, HEB, Kroger between north and south and to no avail. I'm a hoarder of toilet paper and germex, but people have gone nuts.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Have you tried a paint store?
I called our auto supplier for masks, legit use in the shop not paranoia. All out, respirators, dust masks cartridges and everything else. Even the stupid pre-filters that go on reusable respirators are gone.
I'm used to hurricane panic and its a bit crazy how much different this is in terms of what people are buying. People do realize this doesnt give you the shi*ts right? Why all the TP? Is KY sold out too, I mean, its gonna be boring sitting inside for an extended period if it comes to that.
Cheap trick here, lens wipes are fully stocked, they are alcohol wipes that the idiots haven't figured out yet.

Chuck B

Riff Meister
Can anyone weigh in on whether the denatured alcohol works as well?....any concerns substituting this for isopropanol?

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Midwest seems to have plenty. Don't go crazy please.
They also have 55 gallon drums.
upload_2020-3-10_9-45-55.png

TopFliteGraphics

It's like people never washed their frickin hands or wiped their asses before. WTF, basic hygiene should always be the same, not just when the media hypes up the latest "pandemic."