Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question 70% isopropyl alcohol

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Geneva Olson, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Geneva Olson

Geneva Olson Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Webster, TX
    Anyone know where I can get some on the cheap? Apparently the local stores are out. I accidentally bought ethyl alcohol (no I'm not drinking it). And it's an odd smell. Like GIN.
    I normally buy alcohol at walmart, but with this silly coronavirus, I'm having a hard time locating it. That being said, we are growing as a business and will be needing more of it. I was fine when it was 1.96 for 32 oz at walmart. I could pick up plenty. But it seems like when I look online for larger quantities, they are a bit more expensive. Does anyone have a site that they go to buy it in bulk?

Thanks.

Tags:
  2. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Try your ink supplier, our Ink supplier for the mimaki gives us swabs, alcohol, cleaning fluid, the works!

(might be a little more expensive but should do you until people stop washing their hands again)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lasermike

Lasermike New Member

Jun 12, 2019
    Sanford FL
    Try your local chemical supply company. My local supplier sells 99% isoproply alcohal five gallon buckets.

4. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    Check farmer's coop as well. Tractor Supply etc.

5. signbrad

signbrad Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Kansas City
    Like Lasermike, I always bought my solvents from a chemical supply. I could get 5-gallon and 10-gallon jugs of lacquer thinner for $7 per gal and VM&P for $4. I don't remember the cost for isopropanol but it was far cheaper than buying pints and quarts of rubbing alcohol. Once I had the jugs, I just took them back for refills. Of course, those are very old prices.

Alcohol from a chemical supply will probably be "pure" alcohol (called 99%). But if you mix it with water you achieve the same solvency as rubbing alcohol. Alcohol and water mixed is often a better general solvent than straight alcohol, because it is, technically, two solvents mixed. In my janitorial days I learned that water is the "universal solvent."

The alcohol sold in paint stores is usually ethanol that has been adulterated so that it cannot be consumed. It's known commonly as "denatured." Ethanol is miscible in water the same as isopropanol, and it's cheaper. Would it work as well?

Another ethanol I like is scotch. It, too, mixes well with a little water, as well as ice, but try it with Drambuie. The mix is called a Rusty Nail and it's amazing. Two parts scotch, one part Drambuie. Use less Drambuie if it's too sweet for you. Amber and delicious. But drink just one.

Brad in Kansas City

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
    • I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 1
  6. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Come on now, you're not a real painter if you can drink just 1

• Like Like x 1
  7. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    26b582fcdf7db65d46aa2edbe2fa6de977cc5d47-14.jpg Just got back from walmart and they were all out. I have enough on hand to last about a month. What was more odd was the isle that they have the teeth flossers was cleaned out dry... nothing left. Explain that one

8. signbrad

signbrad Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Kansas City
    I admit that I'm a lightweight. I don't drive after a Rusty Nail, either. The Piano Room is only six blocks so I just walk.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JimmyG

JimmyG Premium Subscriber

Apr 1, 2005
    Register, GA
    Ha! all our local stores are cleaned out of hand sanitizer, alcohol, glycerin, aloe gel, paint masks and TOILET PAPER.....go figure...!

10. Geneva Olson

Geneva Olson Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Webster, TX
    Tractor Supply is all out.

11. Geneva Olson

Geneva Olson Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Webster, TX
    Yea, I live on one side of Houston and my business is on the other side of Houston. I think I've probably checked every CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, HEB, Kroger between north and south and to no avail. I'm a hoarder of toilet paper and germex, but people have gone nuts.

12. Geneva Olson

Geneva Olson Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Webster, TX
    suddenly dental hygiene became important with the coronavirus?

13. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Have you tried a paint store?

14. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    I called our auto supplier for masks, legit use in the shop not paranoia. All out, respirators, dust masks cartridges and everything else. Even the stupid pre-filters that go on reusable respirators are gone.
    I'm used to hurricane panic and its a bit crazy how much different this is in terms of what people are buying. People do realize this doesnt give you the shi*ts right? Why all the TP? Is KY sold out too, I mean, its gonna be boring sitting inside for an extended period if it comes to that.
    Cheap trick here, lens wipes are fully stocked, they are alcohol wipes that the idiots haven't figured out yet.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JimmyG

JimmyG Premium Subscriber

Apr 1, 2005
    Register, GA
    How many wrap guys use alcohol for cleaning & prep.....?

16. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
  17. Krissy Louderback

Krissy Louderback Member

Aug 5, 2019
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Tubelite sells 91% by the gallon and 5 gallon. I've also ordered it through Amazon.

18. Chuck B

Chuck B Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Richmond, VA
    Can anyone weigh in on whether the denatured alcohol works as well?....any concerns substituting this for isopropanol?

19. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    Midwest seems to have plenty. Don't go crazy please.
    They also have 55 gallon drums.
    upload_2020-3-10_9-45-55.png

20. It's like people never washed their frickin hands or wiped their asses before. WTF, basic hygiene should always be the same, not just when the media hypes up the latest "pandemic."

• Agree Agree x 2