• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

a business card or a hot mess??

thinksigns

SnowFlake
So I had the idea to put vinyl letters on a mirror and take a picture of the mirror as it was pointed at our storefront. Flip it in Photoshop and voila, our new business card. Well, after about 20 photos, this is the best one. So do you guys think the ideas has merit and to keep trying or should I just go back to a traditional card?

Attachments

• businesscard.jpg
    businesscard.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 113

omgsideburns

absolutely miserable.

edit: Although now that I've read the paragraph, that's a novel idea.. but you could have gotten a better results just doing it in PS.

jiarby

Save it for your community college photogaphy class. Don't play games with your business.

If you have to explain your business card then it sucks.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
seems like alot of work. Why not just take a photo of your storefront and do the lettering in photoshop? What is the advantage?

Unfortunately the storefront in the background does not line up properly and the company name is duplicated which is confusing

thinksigns

SnowFlake
Here is the photo of my front door that gave me the idea. I'm going back to a standard card since I just moved the store and I don't have time to get this idea to look right - if it ever could. Thanks for everyone's opinions.

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 72
W

wetgravy

Interesting idea, bad card. Some of the best cards don't have textures, photos or anything to distract the eye from the text. Either that or there is something to block out the background (partially or fully) to make the text more visible. Personally I wouldn't include your company name more than once unless you have a tag line.

MikePro

hot mess. could have saved time and just photoshop'd, but still too much nonessential content for a business card.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
Putting the text on a regular photo in Illustrator was my first thought when I started going through the photos. However, the "gimmick" of the card was that it was a photo of actual cut vinyl letters. Once you get rid of the gimmick, I think it falls apart.

jiarby

but when I first saw the card I did not notice that was what it was. I just though that it was a horrible layout on a bad picture.

THEN, after I read the explaination I went back and saw that it was cut vinyl on a mirror.

Your average custy won't get it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Has much potential.

I think you have to clean up and think about your photo a little more so it's not so confusing. Your background is definitely overpowering your main theme.... your name. Also, the background is basically of sky, some reflecting fluorescent fixtures and a building that has nothing to do with you.

Deaton Design

If you take a picture of your door with the reflection, then turn the opacity down on the reflection in ps, and add some blurring, this would make your lettering stand out alot better. Its a good idea, just your first one is too busy.:)
Edited to say I tried this, but you would have to add outlines to the lettering to make it stand out.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
Has much potential.

I think you have to clean up and think about your photo a little more so it's not so confusing. Your background is definitely overpowering your main theme.... your name. Also, the background is basically of sky, some reflecting fluorescent fixtures and a building that has nothing to do with you.

The 2nd photo was just the inspiration. I posted it to show where the idea came from. I just wish the text in the first photo was as clear and in the second.

Brandon708

I would think that with all marketing identity that you have created with your shop layout you would have better cards that go with your company's identity.

This is how I would do your cards. I would use a silk laminate finish with the front of the card green and the back blue.

Use the same design inspiration from the sign displays in front of your shop.

Craig Sjoquist

Great idea ... but you need to not make it so busy

one way is put the rest of the copy on the window area only.
maybe just take a picture of the front of store normally add copy in your program

Brandon708

quick layout for what I was thinking about for your card.

I would suggest you tweek and add things

Attachments

• THINK.jpg
    THINK.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 74