• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A con Artist Customer

CheapVehicleWrap

we use 18X24 yard signs to get people in the shop and hope they want more. ive tried to get the owners to raise prices on a lot of things, but they are relatively absent, and claim to know what people will pay for things, and "they wont pay $35 for a yard sign". I cant even get them to do an overhead worksheet so we can update our hourly rate.

Unless your employer is independently wealthy, I'd keep my resume updated. Or, start thinking about venturing out on my own. An employee who has the bottom line in mind is a VERY rare breed.

Locals Find!

we use 18X24 yard signs to get people in the shop and hope they want more. ive tried to get the owners to raise prices on a lot of things, but they are relatively absent, and claim to know what people will pay for things, and "they wont pay $35 for a yard sign". I cant even get them to do an overhead worksheet so we can update our hourly rate.

If you move to Florida you can come work for me. I will let you set prices as high as you can get people to pay and cut you in for part of the profits. Your boss is an idiot.

ucmj22

our sign shop was started because the owner was buying about 15K in signs a year for his main business, so he figured he would make his own. It's me and one other designer in the shop everyday. I am the designer, applier, manufacturer, purchaser, product researcher / tester, estimator, and all around shop manager, and I understand that an employees financial well being is tied to the company that they are employed by. Therefore I try to do everything I can to turn a profit, but even the best employees can be turned weary by neglect and incompetence..... Speaking hypothetically of course....

SignManiac

You need to grow a set of balls or let your competition set your prices. But if you do that, you won't be around long. Tell you wife to find a better class of friends.

gnemmas

For those that have flatbed, why would you take an order for 20 coro sign, 18x24, at $1.25/sf, a woppy $75 order? Even for wholesale?

SignManiac

For those that have flatbed, why would you take an order for 20 coro sign, 18x24, at $1.25/sf, a woppy $75 order? Even for wholesale?

I have a flatbed and still wont do them for less than $20. each, Machine needs to make money, not chump change.

midnightmadman

I have a flatbed and still wont do them for less than $20. each, Machine needs to make money, not chump change.

Just to put it in perspective she is asking for 18x24 full digital print for $16 now and cut into 4 equal sections of 9x12's Thats what she said the others quoted her. And thats printed on vinyl and applied (I don't have a flatbed)

ucmj22

Just to put it in perspective she is asking for 18x24 full digital print for $16 now and cut into 4 equal sections of 9x12's Thats what she said the others quoted her. And thats printed on vinyl and applied (I don't have a flatbed)

If you can't make any money off of it, neither can the guy down the street. Let him take the hit

GVP

I don't understand why some get bent out of shape over this kind of thing. It's just business. This is the amount of money I want/need for the job - if you don't want to buy at that price, then thank you for your inquiry - sorry we can't do business this time... next!

Techman

That makes it even more onerous. She is asking you to do the cutting for free too. Added laber for a cheap low ball job. Let her run down the road to the other supplier. Geeses there comes a point when it is ridiculous to hear their demands.

Fanaticus

Everybody wants something for nothing. It doesn't hurt them to ask. We just need the balls to say no. It's hard to pass on a sale or turn friends down but if you don't they'll expect it every time. You're no longer doing business with them, you're just doing them a favor.

It's sad when it's for a friend and they begin to take advantage of it, when you can no longer do it they tend to not like you so much anymore.

I constantly tell friends I don't do the things they're asking for, but they keep asking. Over and over and over.

Or the "friend", that you only know because of another friend, who you occasionally run into and they say the want something done, then ask for the "friends" discount.

You can't be a slave.

CheapVehicleWrap

Everybody wants something for nothing. It doesn't hurt them to ask. We just need the balls to say no. It's hard to pass on a sale or turn friends down but if you don't they'll expect it every time. You're no longer doing business with them, you're just doing them a favor.

It's sad when it's for a friend and they begin to take advantage of it, when you can no longer do it they tend to not like you so much anymore.

I constantly tell friends I don't do the things they're asking for, but they keep asking. Over and over and over.

Or the "friend", that you only know because of another friend, who you occasionally run into and they say the want something done, then ask for the "friends" discount.

You can't be a slave.

If I didn't know better, I'd say you've stolen my identity.

midnightmadman

The only issue I have is I am 100% confident they have something big brewing and a potential (for whoever) they have doing there signs etc. to do lot (and I mean a lot) of work. I know it sounds far fetched but believe me I know for a fact its happening as we speak. What they are doing has been exploding at a fast rate and just got bigger over the last week.

But on they other hand, from their track record I would bet at some point if it became big enough I would just get squeezed out of the picture and they would start ordering them wholesale somehow. They are reselling the these signs as a little package that go with other stuff.

ucmj22

The only issue I have is I am 100% confident they have something big brewing and a potential (for whoever) they have doing there signs etc. to do lot (and I mean a lot) of work. I know it sounds far fetched but believe me I know for a fact its happening as we speak. What they are doing has been exploding at a fast rate and just got bigger over the last week.

She will beat you up on that job until you arent making any money again, so whats the point?