Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little cold today

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by piccadillysigns, Jan 21, 2013.

1. piccadillysigns

piccadillysigns Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Ummmm I think I will do some sign designs in my office today!

An Arctic airmass over Manitoba combining with light to moderate northwest winds are producing extreme wind chill values of minus 40 to minus 45 over Southern Manitoba this morning. At these extreme wind chill values frostbite on exposed skin may occur in less than 10 minutes.

Tags:
  2. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    sounds really cold. we are going down below zero on Tuesday and it just makes most outside work impossible as things break. stay inside and stay warm!

3. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

Yup ... That's a cold one!

Here today we have windchills of -30 .. So a little warmer than Manitoba. Last Friday i was out all day installing and it was -18 with windchills of -26. Not bad if you kept moving, but once you stoped ... brrrr.

Supposed to be colder tomorrow and Wednesday ... I am happy i have no exterior installations scheduled for those days!

4. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    We're getting it pretty bad too. Last night it went down into the 60s but the wind made it feel like 59. :omg2:

5. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

Going down to Florida next month (Satellite Beach) ... Will confirm if it is cold or not! :rolleyes:

6. KevSign

KevSign Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Orange, CA
    Next 5 days 77-80 Orange CA.

7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Chill factor around here this week... to be about 0º.

8. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    are we all using the same scale?

9. Caitlin

Caitlin Member

Jan 4, 2013
    It's been around -40s celsius here as well with windchill warnings.

Yesterday we had the extremely bright idea to try out our new ice fishing shelter in -41 windchill. I still haven't warmed up yet! :omg:

10. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Sorry, I'm talking Fahrenheit.

11. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

When it's in the minuses both scales come in pretty close to the point where there are no numbers anymore ... That's when it is just plain stupid @#$%^ cold !!!

12. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

You know it's cold when you can't leave the beer outside or else it will freeze.

13. genericname

genericname Active Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Canada
    Thought I'd be smart and save what was left of the keg this way, after I had my housewarming party. Went in to check on everything the other day, and my shed smelled like beer. What hadn't frozen solid had exploded. :doh:

Took out the trash this morning, and it was so cold, the garbage bin lid snapped in half as I pulled it off. Good thing I was wearing three layers for the walk to work!

14. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

Everything either explodes or breaks off in this weather !!! :frustrated: ... And i'm sorry for your loss (re: beer)

15. piccadillysigns

piccadillysigns Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Just did a little experiment for my 2 year old Daughter
    Tossed a cup of hot water up in the air out side, not one drop hit the ground, vaporized in the air, now that's cold!

16. genericname

genericname Active Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Canada
    Thank you, though it wasn't a huge loss; a few mason jars, and a couple wine bottles full. Considering how much we got out of the keg, that's easily within an acceptable loss level. Still, it was from my neighbourhood brewery though, so anything wasted is at least a little sad.

So cool! Is there a modern equivalent to Mr. Wizard, Beakman, or Bill Nye? I'd be afraid to raise a kid in a world without awesome televised hydrogen explosions.

17. DKgrafix

DKgrafix Very Active Member

-40 is the same temp on both scales, Fahrenheit and Celsius

18. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    It's 10 in Chicago and cold but at least we have NO snow, not even a trace of it.

19. OlsonSigns601

OlsonSigns601 Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Its 7 NW of you and its suppose to snow Thursday.

With the 60mph winds we had Friday & Saturday, we've got two signs that came down. Pan Face Cover for the LED Gas Station Prices and a billboard got some wind behind it and pulled it up.

I don't mind the extra cash, but it sure does put a stain on getting everything else done.

20. Richard G

Richard G Member

Just did a little experiment for my 2 year old Daughter
    Tossed a cup of hot water up in the air out side, not one drop hit the ground, vaporized in the air, now that's cold!

No that's not cold.....That's crazy... I remember seeing snow when I was much younger and I am glad I haven't seen it for the last 40 years.