Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A new career?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AH, Mar 22, 2007.

1. AH

AH New Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Hello everyone. My name is Andy, I'm 28 years old, and I'm working with another newbie on this forum - my brother, mike rau. I'm a mechanical engineer by education. I worked in product development/r&d for 6yrs, but unfortunately I was a victim of massive layoffs in November. I love where I live (Upper Peninsula of Michigan), but engineering jobs are hard to come by here. Long story short - the two of us are now doing vinyl graphics with the Gerber Edge 2 and the EnVision plotter. So far I find the work both fun and rewarding. We've set up in my friend's shop where he runs his business dealing with car audio, remote starters, window tint performance parts, etc. So far the two businesses seem to complement eachother nicely.

Tags:
  2. THATgirl

THATgirl Very Active Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Hi Andy....good luck to you and your brother in your new venture.

3. 7oaks

7oaks Active Member

Aug 12, 2004
    LOUISIANA
    Sounds like you have a future there. Good luck.

Ken

4. RE-APP

RE-APP Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Welcome Yooper!

5. mladams7259

mladams7259 Very Active Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Welcome Aboard!

6. TLG

TLG Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Say "Ya" to da UP, eh?
    Stay warm in the hinterlands and welcome from the sunny SE.

7. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    WELCOME! to the Asylum! Would you like your med's now?

:Welcome: 2 :signs101:

8. Ken

Ken Major Contributor

Feb 7, 2005
    BC
    Well, I can understand Michigan being in decline for your profession. The Big 3 being on hard times. Do you consider sign vinyl/making to be a career, a trade, an art form? I guess all of the above.
    I'd caution about the psuedo partnership with the audio/window-tint friend.
    What is the back-up plan B?
    A plan should be implemented. A flow chart of possibilities/capabilities to let you know where this will go. You're obviously a smart guy and still young.
    Would you consider a change of locale to continue in your profession?
    Personally, that is what I would do, at your age. But there are many reasons why someone would not want to move away from familiar surroundings.
    I wish you and your brother all success in this venture.
    Kind regards...Ken

9. Former member

Former member Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Welcome to the party....you'll learn alot from the folks here.

10. gvgraphics

gvgraphics Very Active Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Welcome to the Big leagues!!!

11. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Welcome Aboard!

12. AH

AH New Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Ken...Thanks for your advice and viewpoint. I'm not quite ready to give up engineering quite yet - there are a couple opportunities I've been working on. As far as the vinyl graphics world, the intention for now is to help get the business up and running, learn the software, application, etc. while at the same time, it's helping me in the $$ department while I'm inbetween jobs. As I stated earlier, so far I enjoy the work and wouldn't mind staying involved part time even after I return to the world of engineering geekdom.

13. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    Welcome from Oklahoma!

:Welcome: to :signs101:
    I lived in the UP (KI Sawyer AFB "76-"78") for about 2 years. Loved it! Can't hardly blame you for not wanting to seek work somewhere else. Good luck! ​

14. Wild Hare

Wild Hare Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Quincy, Ca
    Welcome! I changed carrees a couple of years ago to signmakeing. It was tougher than I expected, but very rewarding.
    Jamie

15. masterdesigns

masterdesigns Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Even if the garage brings in business for your friend, it will still be a great way to get your name out there. Good luck and Welcome
    Bob

16. Ken

Ken Major Contributor

Feb 7, 2005
    BC
    A.H., one thing I really enjoy about this business , is when I drive around my community ,I get to see designs that I have not only designed, but produced, and sometimes installed myself. I've made my mark..for all to see.
    I love that. I think that's what keeps most of us doing what we do. I guess there's some ego involved with this...lol
    Regards...Ken

17. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Hello and welcome from PA

18. belongie

belongie Member

Feb 27, 2007
    welcome, from marinette, WI! Sorry this is a bit off topic, but I saw mention of KI sawyer. I laugh everytime I think of that old afb. for the longest time my daughter believed the pilot landed that plane on the pole! Anyway, where about in the up?

19. ENTDesign

ENTDesign Very Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Welcome from Troll-land

20. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Another welcome from PA