• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A question about RTA cut vinyl production volumes

Rooster

I have a client we're putting a proposal together for that has a large number of locations and possibly some serious production volume of cut vinyl RTA decals.

We could be looking at needing to produce between 2,000 and 28,000 cut vinyl decals a month (possibly more). This is beyond anything I've done in the past and will require hiring additional staff and possibly (probably) some extra equipment.

For those that are doing high volumes of RTA cut vinyl decals, how many decals per shift would you expect an employee to produce?

The decals would be a line or two of text, probably in a script font so a moderately difficult weed compared to simple large block letters. Font size would be in the range of 2-3" tall and 30-75" wide. There would also be a larger size of 22" x 30" and possibly up to 22" x 75" which could include both the text as well as simple logo or symbol. All single color vinyl.

Also given the possible volume of these things, we're looking at getting a bar-code system set-up to track an order through production and integrated it into our shipping. I obviously don't want to have to run the vinyl through a separate printer to print a barcode on them, nor apply a decal to them as it's a possible point of error to do it manually. Are there any flatbed or friction fed cutters out there that can print barcodes on the job as they cut?

sneakers

I can reply to the barcode question. To print a barcode all you have to do is type the info you need in the barcode and change the font to whichever barcode system you choose. When you pick your barcode system you need to pick a barcode font that works for you. Most barcodes you see at most any store only use numbers in the code but if you need letters you will need the code 39 font (code 39 cannot use capitol letters). A barcode reader just reads the font like text and converts the words or numbers to an item in your database.
Hope this helps.
Gary

Rooster

You need to run the numbers for your in-house production VS. subbing it out.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do, but looking to confirm my numbers with another shop that produces these things in volume. Subbing it out is out of the question. I need to ship to 2,000 locations and the logistics of having it done by an outside supplier and then organizing the shipments would be as big a task as getting the correct production line set-up.

Right now I do far more print, or print and cut than straight RTA cut vinyl, so my projections might be off and the volume level that this could generate might get me into a pickle if my numbers aren't correct.

It's easy to figure out the manufacturing capacity of the equipment, but people are a whole other matter. A weeding and masking assembly line is something my current volume has never demanded.

signguy 55

I can't believe you wouldn't sub that out. There are vendors that wouldn't blink at that kind of job. To think that you are actually thinking of hiring extra help, paying payroll taxes, extra insurance and buying extra equipment..................

That kind of job and that kind of volume every month doesn't even sound real, but maybe it is. Just the shipping to that many locations would be nightmare.

What if a year down the road this customer finds someone to them $1.00 cheaper per cut decal, you'd be left holding the bag ( a mighty expensive bag!!)

Techman

Get them done outsource. There are places that will do those so cheap you cannot imagine including shipping. Stouce comes to mind.

There is no way you can do them in house cheap enuf.

Locals Find!

With that kinda volume you would be better subbing out the work in lots. Example 2000 pieces design #1 etc..etc... Have them shipped to you. Then at most you would need one or two employees to fill the p.o's as they come in and ship them.

or you could do the same thing yourself in house and have a machine knocking these out all the time to keep your inventory levels up. Either way your going to need to maintain an on hand inventory of every design prior to the order coming in to be able to fill them in a timely manner.

You could have your PO system barcode the work orders that get handed down so you know when each is filled and shipped. Contact your shipper they should be able to either setup a system for your or refer you to someone that can integrate with theirs.

royster13

A couple things about outsourcing.......

There is no indication of the quantity of each design.....May not be high enough to outsource.....

Also, OP is in Canada and shipping from US is not always a smart idea....brokerage and freight can cancel out even the best deals in the US....

CanuckSigns

I can't believe you wouldn't sub that out. There are vendors that wouldn't blink at that kind of job. To think that you are actually thinking of hiring extra help, paying payroll taxes, extra insurance and buying extra equipment..................

That kind of job and that kind of volume every month doesn't even sound real, but maybe it is. Just the shipping to that many locations would be nightmare.

What if a year down the road this customer finds someone to them $1.00 cheaper per cut decal, you'd be left holding the bag ( a mighty expensive bag!!)

This:goodpost:

Just be careful, we have had a few customers coming to us with pie in the sky ideas similar to what you are proposing, none of them have even come to fruition. if the customer is looking at this kind of volume, they will probably end up doing them in house, lets face it, cutting and weeding single colour vinyl is not rocket science, and the tools to do it cost next to nothing (in the grand scheme of things)

Outsource it for a bit untill you can see if the job is going anywhere, than if it is, you can look at building up your in house production (i.e. outsource 15,000 pcs, do 5000 in house and gradually lower the number you outsource)