• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

a strange way to get artwork

binki

i have received photos of something someone wanted printed, the best was of a tattoo but the latest number one way is someone sent a photo taken from a cell phone of a computer screen showing the artwork they wanted. the best part is the image showed the file name and it ended in .ai :clapping:

Haakon

Haha, only thing missing there is having it sent inside a word document :Big Laugh

But hey, everyone knows that you just click a button on your computer, and a sticker pops out? Right? :tongue:

binki

Haha, only thing missing there is having it sent inside a word document :Big Laugh

and using copyrighted/trademarked materials. yes we have gotten artwork in word documents before and it would have been one for the record books if this was a word document (or better yet, word perfect!) with a pasted in cell phone picture of an ai file that had a harley davidson logo with their company name in it. that would have been too cool.

omgsideburns

I had a customer print something out from word, scan it, and then email me the scan.. and tell me "I designed this in word, I hope that's ok."

I couldn't figure out why a pdf from word would look so bad until they told me the process...

Haakon

I sent a draft for proofing as a pdf to a customer once, got it back as a pdf but with adjustment/corrections made by a ballpoint pen. He had printed it to paper, drawn on it with a ballpoint, scanned it, and posted the jpeg file from the scanner embedded in a pdf file :)

Then I made a new draft in Illustrator based on the doodlings made by the customer and emailed that for proofing. Made me laugh getting the file like that, but it got the job done ;)

Custom_Grafx

LOL, luckily it happened only once, but I had a client who had to get a logo vectorised - old building of some sort from 50-60 years ago. Had a logo on it like a sailing club's or something. Not to mention, it had to be vectorised for a CNC engraving machine, so had to be single line, optimised for a 0.5mm v-cutter or something. So I had to keep as much detail as possible for that cutter - while making it all work.

"Can you do it?"

sure... have you got a file?

"yeah I do... don't know if you can use it..."

I can do anything (this is when I first started, thought I was superman)

"ok... here it is... "

sends me a low quality photograph, of the logo on the side of the building... from an ANGLE!

I reskewed it out best I could with perspective tools, and redid it in coreldraw.

The only thing I sort of did right in the whole transaction, was my price I think (was barely enough though IMO).

I had one the other day...

"doesn't the computer generate that cut line by itself based on the graphic inside it?"...

jiarby

This one was on "clientsfromhell.com" yesterday.

"I’m not able to open PDF files - I don’t use a Mac. Luckily, my assistant was able to open your PDF, print it, scan it and save it as a JPG. I have to say, the colors you’ve chosen are horrible. Everything looks muddy. But I do like how the whole picture is slanted; it looks totally MTV."

Rooster

I don't mind when people embed files in word docs anymore. The new docx format is just a glorified .zip file. I just change the extension from docx to zip and decompress the file and grab the original file from the folder it creates when it decompresses. I don't even have to open word.

binki

I don't mind when people embed files in word docs anymore. The new docx format is just a glorified .zip file. I just change the extension from docx to zip and decompress the file and grab the original file from the folder it creates when it decompresses. I don't even have to open word.

nice trick. i will have to try that with the next one we get like that.

...it looks totally MTV

'That ain't workin', that's the way you do it, money for nothing and your chicks for free'

GypsyGraphics

A client just now email me a dog photo place in a Word doc and i immediately thought of Rooster's post. I gotta admit, i didn't see the advantage of changing the extension to Zip, other than not having to use Word (which is a pretty good reason alone).

Change the extension, open this Zip and my first thought was "what's the deal with all these files, where's the photo?"

attachment.php

FilesScreenshot.jpg

I find the JPG photo a bit burried... okay cool.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE....

I'm curious to know if there any difference in the image quality in the JPG vs copying the image from Word and pasting it into Photoshop.

This side by side comparison in Photoshop, with no adjustments to the file.
the top image is from the .docx
the bottom image is the JPG

Get a load of this.... there's a tremendous difference in the image quality!!!!! Zippity Do Da Day!!!!

attachment.php

ImageComparison.jpg

AWESOME TIP ROOSTER!!!!!! :U Rock:

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I missed the folder in there called "media". All the jpeg components of the doc file are contained in there. My sample docx was full of cruddy art so nowhere as good as gg's

Fred and Rooster. This needs to be be made as a new post in the tips section. I don't have the latest version of Microsoft office so I use openoffice. It does not always open docx files as well as MSOffice since it is opensource software but all I ever care about are the graphics within

This is a good tip for others with the same problems or as gypsy has discovered

AUTO-FX

This is fantastic information! I had no idea you could just change the extension! Does this work with others?

GypsyGraphics

Fred and Rooster. This needs to be be made as a new post in the tips section....

This is a good tip for others with the same problems or as gypsy has discovered

I agree!!! Rooster's tip should be it's own in it's own "tips & tricks" thread.

I still can't get over what a difference changing the extension made in the image quality!

mesheau

Hey can you send me your logo in vector format?

Sends JPEG

Oh, I mean can you send it as a vectored AI or EPS file so I can use it for cutting?

Sends JPEG embedded in AI file

1291179207-913114-345x278-1291174846RAGE-face.jpeg

This was dealing with a graphic designer from a government agency.