Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aaaaaaaaargh!!! Carved a sign wrong!! (I hate Flexi)

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by signmeup, Jun 29, 2010.

1. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    I forgot to convert my file to curves before I opened it in flexi and cut the mask for this sign. Flexi makes fonts weird when I open files with fonts in them. Being a sign maker, this happens fairly often. It made "Town Hall" thin and off centre. I hate when this happens!!! I can't believe I didn't notice this. As soon as I had the sign carved and stood it up I saw the mistake. Ughhhh! (you know the feeling...)

Why does this happen to my fonts? I have the fonts obviously.....it's all on the same frikken computer. It's only a matter of time before I do this again......

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Because Flexi does not recognize kerning brought in from other programs, it sets it all back to the default settings.

3. Signs By Steve

Signs By Steve New Member

May 18, 2010
    Huh turn the blank over and use the other side. Just saying.

4. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    It also did something odd to the W in Town and changed the weight of the font in the bottom line. "Berwick" and "Town Hall" are the exact same font...... it's not just kerning.

5. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Can't....already cut the grooves for the steel frame. I don't usually do it that way. I usually cut the frame grooves once the sign is finished. Figures....

BTW....this is just a rant.

6. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I guess you can call it a wake up call to keep a close eye on what it does from now on.

A shame for sure.....

I use Flexi but have not seen this problem before. When you say you forgot to convert to curves...did the original come from Corel? I wasn't even aware that you could open a file in Flexi like that and have always sent everything as eps files from Signlab or Corel when using Flexi for printing or cutting, with the assumption it could never open the files in their native format. Interesting....but now that you say it screws them up I will continue doing it the way I do.

7. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Add a device on the right. The right device of the right weight will look as if you planned it.

8. Sign_Boy

Sign_Boy Major Contributor

May 18, 2007
    USA
    Sorry to hear that.
    Why not save one version with fonts converted for Flexi?
    This way you'll be safe.

9. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario

why not just export as an eps file and save a step

10. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    I don't know the answer to the font/flexi question but can you do on 1" thick material the inside shape with new letters? you can mount it to the face of this sign and it will just be more dimensional looking without having to totally start over.

11. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks for the suggestions. I can't alter the sign...it's been approved by council as is.

I "copy" what I want to cut from Corel and "paste" it into flexi. Saves time messing with files. (well...not this time)

It just can't deal with fonts... you have to convert to curves first. I'm going to carve the other panel before I patch this one and redo "Town Hall". It'll give me a chance to calm down. Actually I'm very calm... just pi$$ed at myself. (and a little at flexi)

12. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    I try to always measure thrice and carve once. Been there, done that, and have the carved shirt too!

13. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    No can do Marlene the sign has to be made as approved and also match the other signs I've made for the town.

I'll cut a "Dutchman" patch and re-carve the lettering. Maybe a step by step of the repair process will make some good out of this. It's very difficult to patch HDU because it's so soft. The tricky part is the painted area won't sand the same as the unpainted patch.

14. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    I save that step too. Copy from Corel and Paste into Flexi. No files. ( I can screw up just as easily by selecting the wrong file.)

15. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    What about an exclamation point! Yeah..... that's the ticket.....

16. Pat Whatley

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Like and exclamation point!

It's TOWN HALL! Woo hoo!

Sorry, I feel your pain. I'd love to see a step by step of how you're going to fix it.

17. Pat Whatley

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Damn, you already said that.

18. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    what's a Duthcman patch? just curious. glad you can fix it. yes, a step by step of how you fix it would be great! not only to fix a sign but would be helpful when a customer needs a line of copy changed.

19. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    "Dutchman": It's a bit derogatory I guess. The term comes from the famed frugality of the Dutch. In wood working, a defect in a tabletop (for example) would be cut out by routing the area and a piece of the same type of wood would be set into the routed area and sanded flush. Usually the patch would be made first and then placed over the defect. The craftsman would then cut around the patch with a knife to mark the area to be removed. Then a hand router would be employed to remove the unwanted area and the patch would be glued and hammered in. Done right it's hard to see the patch unless you're very close.

20. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Ha Ha.... it's the kinda patch one makes when you need to deceive the on-lookers from seeing your original mistake. Anyone that can perform this... is a true master. We've done it with bevels on the edges to make it fit and seat better.

If this doesn't make sense.... when it's intentionally done... it's called inlay and you try to make your work noticeable.

Way to go signme.... show a few steps along the way and show these people what real craftsmanship is all about. No getting a real mechanic down.... they'll always make it it like new. :thumb: