• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Acrylic issues - advise please!

Rage Wraps

Ok guy this is going to be a stupid question but I need some advice. I am working with acrylic and this is not my first time. I am putting clear over it and I used rapid tac. I never had a problem before using it but it is cracking. Now the client decided they don't want to use it with clear anymore and want it removed. No problem. I am cleaning it off with alcohol and it is still cracking. I have done this a number of times but I don't know why this is happening now. Any advice?

Thanks.

Rage Wraps

I did find out today there are two types of acrylic and I don't know if it is cast or extruded. I have worked with acrylic so many times before doing frosted looks with polished edges using rapid tac and cleaning it with acrylic so many times that it was never a problem. I am thinking where they got the material is a mix between the two types of acrylic.

John in Cali

I have been told that acrylic with flame polished edges will likely crack with alcohol, while sand polished edges are fine.

Rage Wraps

I am with you Pat. It makes no sense. I can't put it through the laminator because they are small pieces that have a contoured shape to them to fit a display booth. I didn't supply the acrylic so I have no glue what kind it is.

m giese

Most likely you have purchased extruded acrylic, the difference between extruded and cast is huge. alcohols and solvent based chemicals will ruin extruded within a very short time... think minutes.

I would contact your vendor, find out what you purchased.

There is also a cost difference between cast and extruded, and that can be a hint also... If there was information on the masking, FF is extruded GP is cast

Let us know what what you determine please...

Mark

Steve G.

I've learned the hard way that Alcohol WILL crack acrylic.
Maybe not every type, or all the time, but it can and will.

while cleaning Letter track with alcohol, it cracked at every place I drilled through.
I contacted my supplier and they confirmed alcohol should not be used on acrylic where it was cut or drilled.

I've since tested and saw it crack over and over.

Whatever your issue is, I'd play it safe and eliminate the Alcohol from the equation.

MikeD

There are special chems for cleaning / prepping acrylic. Consult your vendor; they probably sell it or can source it for you. We process so much acrylic that our prep chems come in bulk and are distributed in generic bottles throughout our plant- I will see if I can find the name of the product we use and re-post for you.
Mike

Rage Wraps

Thanks for all the advice. I did find out what the problem was and how to prevent it after testing some samples at my suppliers place this morning. Extruded acrylic with flamed edges will crack and cast with flamed edges won't. I will provide examples tonight when I am at my desk. I am doing this from my phone right now.

artbot

i believe cast with flame polished has cracked (the right term is craze) on me before with spray paint being applied afterward. the flame polished edge is shrunken (tightened like the head of a drum). some fluids can break that surface tension thus the edge crazes.

Techman

cast plastic will usually come with a paper liner.
Extruded will usually come with a plastic liner.

Why are some flame polishing when chemical polishing is so much better?

HulkSmash

1/2" acrylic doesn't come in roll stock. (think of how big the spool would have to be)

I've cleaned thousands of pieces of acrylic with iso alcohol and have never seen it affect the acrylic. I've also applied lots of graphics with rapid tac (on acrylic) and have never seen it crack. Flamed edges, shape cut, holes cut, straight flat cut etc.

What brand of acrylic are you using? Worst case scenario you can prep with just water/drop of soap but I like to soak the whole face down with alcohol so you get that good "bite".

Another thought/possible workaround - why aren't you mounting with a laminator? If you have a half decent laminator it will mount to 1/2" acrylic no problem. Depending on the panel size and if it's extruded, I have seen larger/thicker panels that obviously weren't 100% true in thickness, where the vinyl wasn't pressed all the way down across the panel - but it's only happened a couple of times. I'd say it's worth a shot rather than ruining more acrylic. If you're using something like 3651 clear it will lift up without leaving adhesive as long as you strip within a couple of hours.

Hope that helps - any questions let me know. :thumb:

If you have any micro cracks in the acrylic and the alch. Gets in there it will crack it..