• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Acrylic Letter Glue?

mharrison

I have some acrylic letters from Gemini with the clear pad mounts. I have the clear acrylic stips that these letters have to be glued to for the couragated building mount. Has anyone glued these before, and if so I would like to know what glue you used. Gemini said I needed to have acrylic glue but could not tell me where to get it. Any help would be appreciated.

Martin

:thankyou:

skyhigh

crazy glue works great.

Ok I'm just fooling around. I don't want someone thinking I'm serious. Use the ips stuff like jhilldesigns suggested.

I don't know why everyone is going with these strips on currogated buildings. They remind me of "training wheels" for a kids bike.

Bigdawg

Just Me
crazy glue works great.

Ok I'm just fooling around. I don't want someone thinking I'm serious. Use the ips stuff like jhilldesigns suggested.

I don't know why everyone is going with these strips on currogated buildings. They remind me of "training wheels" for a kids bike.

We're doing one right now with the strips. Owner doesn't want all the little holes that 32 separate letter mountings would leave...

why do you call it training wheels?

skyhigh

We're doing one right now with the strips. Owner doesn't want all the little holes that 32 separate letter mountings would leave...

why do you call it training wheels?

Well Stacy, this is just MY personal opinion. I think the stips look like crap, no matter how well you disguise them. 2nd, it seems that those unfamiliar with applying letters to a corrugated building, think it must be the ONLY way.

Now if the frontage has Italian marble, I can see not wanting to drill a bunch of 1/4" holes. We are talking a corrugated metal building.....if the letters are ever removed, then calk the holes when you repaint.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Well Stacy, this is just MY personal opinion. I think the stips look like crap, no matter how well you disguise them. 2nd, it seems that those unfamiliar with applying letters to a corrugated building, think it must be the ONLY way.

Now if the frontage has Italian marble, I can see not wanting to drill a bunch of 1/4" holes. We are talking a corrugated metal building.....if the letters are ever removed, then calk the holes when you repaint.

not arguing - this is the first time we've had to do it and it's only because it's customer requested... but if the owner of the building doesn't want those holes, I ain't gonna give them to him so IMHO it has to be an option... or I give up this REALLY big job and someone else does it.

Is there another way to avoid 2 holes for every letter? I'm not an installer, so I could be missing something so if there's a better way, please share.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow, sky........

I almost said something similar, but held back, because I knew it would be taken the wrong way.

It's sad, but it's getting to the point where no one feels safe or free to give good sound advice without getting their head bitten off.

Here at our shop, most of the stuff comes from my past, learning or just do it and see if it works. I have close to 40 years in it. Jeremy has about 8 years, Larry has 55 years in it, Carol has almost 30 years in it. However, the majority of people are questioning every little move for the correct way to do things, but aren't questioning some of the home-made methods of devices that are generally industry no~no's.

There are those times when you just don't take the messy or unappealing look of some substrate, installation method or fabrication style vs. just getting the job done and let the buyer beware.... meaning for not that much more money, it could look and last a heck of a lot better.

I'm not insinuating ANYONE in this thread at all. This is in regards to many many posts over the last few months. People are getting very touchy on both sides of the fence.

I can't wait for the mixer...... let's 'bump' that one up again.

Techman

ever removed, then calk the holes when you repaint.

Nope, not i metal buildings.
They will eventually leak. The metal and caulk move to much. Leaks.
Use the screws that hold the sheets on. Make a frame with those screws to mount with.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Wow.

Gemini was the one that suggested it when I called to talk to them about mounting options... they sell the pieces if you want them from them...

I wasn't biting anyone's head off in this thread.. I honestly wanted to know if there is another way... I'm NOT an installer... so I called the pros and asked...

now you and skyhigh seem to think it's a "homemade" way of doing things even though the "pros" recommended it...

Just wow.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Stacy...

I don't doubt for a minute that Gemini suggested or recommended doing what you posted, however, in their catalog it clearly shows how to mount a letter to a corrugated wall. It's what sky had mentioned and I eluded to about questions over the last few months.

Please understand... this is not meant towards you or anyone in particular..... just the general trend that seems to be creeping into our industry and is becoming huge topics of late.

Again, Gemini will tell you whatever you want to hear in order to finish a sale. As you said in your own post, if you can't do it, the next guy will. Same goes for Gemini. The next guy might make his own letters or buy from one of their competitors, so they will give you anything to make you happy. That does not mean it's the preferred or best way to finish off a job.

In addition, there isn't ONE installation picture of the method you described anywhere in their catalog..... at least 2010. Do they sell the parts to do it ?? Of course, because there are far more people doing this stuff, not capable of selling and/or doing it the correct way. They need to be prepared.

During the Atlantic City Sign Show this past December, I was talking to my Rep who has a large territory. They've been downsizing like crazy and still meeting their deadlines. Dick said the reason for this is because of the CNC sales and people doing it themselves to cut them out. They are scrabbling to make ends meet. If it means selling you a few tubes of silicon to get the job done.... it beats not making the sale at all.

Again, don't take this personally. I was not speaking of you, but you were honest enough to post it and it shook my brain cells a little to rattle this off. Its not meant to hurt. If it did, I apologize.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Gino...

the landlord will not permit the holes to be drilled into building for letters. Period.

Customer asks for alternative mounting method.

As a professional, we provide that option... would you have turned down the job? I'm not going to.

I'm not hurt in any way. I'm just surprised at the response -that's all. I just called Gemini to question them about this and why it would be considered unprofessional.

They took a little exception to that. Her words "If wasn't an established and reliable way of mounting, we wouldn't offer it. Apparently whoever said it was "unprofessional" has not run into a situation where drilling holes must be kept to a minimum."

skyhigh

Wow.

Gemini was the one that suggested it when I called to talk to them about mounting options... they sell the pieces if you want them from them...

I wasn't biting anyone's head off in this thread.. I honestly wanted to know if there is another way... I'm NOT an installer... so I called the pros and asked...

now you and skyhigh seem to think it's a "homemade" way of doing things even though the "pros" recommended it...

Just wow.

I don't think Gemini RECOMMENDS them, but rather offers them as an alternative. Like I said, FOR THE RIGHT APPLICATION, if you must (although there are better ways than the strips) use them.
If you're using them because your afraid of the corrugation, then pass the job or learn as you go.

A couple weeks ago, we had a veteran forum member ask about doing a corrugated building. I sent him a PM to offer my EXPERT advice.....he never responded. Him being a veteran of this forum is the only reason I extended myself.

Tech, what do you do if the screws are not in the area where the letters are going??? Screws being (usually) every 4ft on the vertical, the chances of hitting them are slim, especially if you're installing above, lets say garage doors with 3' above to the soffit.....you won't have any.

Stacy, good luck with the project.

skyhigh

In their catalog, they have the rails on page 23. One notation the size of a business card....thats it. Do they work, sure. Are their times when you must use them....maybe, but I would use something else.

Did you notice its not one of their standard mounting options, and they NEVER show a pic of a rail install? Wonder why? could it be, it looks like chit?

JUST MY OPINION.