Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add Camo Dipping to your Services

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by wrappin, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    My uncle is the local gun-smith. There is no such law about dipping guns. You got some bogus info.

2. cbsigns

cbsigns Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Virginia
    Correct, there is no law about dipping guns. You are not allowed to keep the receiver overnight unless you are an FFL, though. Everything else(barrel/grips/handguards/magazines) is just parts.

3. wrappin

wrappin Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Lubbock
    Funny stuff.....

4. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    :corndog:

Attached Files:

5. Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps Kentucky Wraps

Mar 6, 2009
    Bluegrass
    That's odd. So you can let somebody "borrow" your entire gun for as long as you want (if they aren't a felon)...but you can't let someone have it overnight if you are paying them for something? Gotta love nonsense laws.

6. wrappin

wrappin Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Lubbock
    Here is a pic of some recent dipping...

Attached Files:

7. k.a.s.

k.a.s. Very Active Member

Aug 8, 2003
    NE ohio
    Are you just using this home kit, or have you bought the equipment to do this as a business? I have really looked into doing this, but I think if you want to do it for real you need a spray booth because you have to prime and clear everything you do.

Kevin

8. wrappin

wrappin Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Lubbock
    We started with their kits and then switched over to buying the bulk supplies from them (they sell all the parts individually)

9. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    No thanks, i'll stick to B2B work.

10. megacab

megacab Member

Sep 12, 2010
    I know this is really old, but I do not want to see somebody get caught in a pickle over something they read on the net that was wrong. But here is what the ATF has to say about those that dip gun parts:

Here are the ATF rulings:

18 U.S.C. 921(a): DEFINITIONS
    18 U.S.C. 922(a)(I)(A): LICENSES REQUIRED
    18 U.S.C. 923(a): LICENSES REQUIRED
    27 CFR 478.11: DEFINITIONS
    27 CFR 478.41(a): LICENSES REQUIRED
    Any person who engages in an activity or process that primarily adds to or changes
    a firearm's appearance, by camouflaging a firearm by painting, dipping
    , or applying tape,
    or by engraving the external surface of a firearm, does not need to be licensed as a
    manufacturer under the Gun Control Act. Any person who is licensed as a
    dealer/gunsmith, and who camouflages or engraves firearms as described in this ruling
    does not need to be licensed as a manufacturer under the Gun Control Act. Any person
    who is engaged in the business of camouflaging or engraving firearms as described in this
    ruling must be licensed as a dealer, which includes a gunsmith, under the Gun Control
    Act.

11. wrappin

wrappin Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Lubbock
    Useful info... Thanks. Aside from dipping guns, I see a big market in dipping automotive parts and taxidermy type things (deer skulls, horns, etc...)

12. wrappin

wrappin Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Lubbock
    I also found this site which offer similar camo dipping kits, but in brand name camo patterns like Realtree, Mossy Oak, and Muddy Girl: www.camoDIY.com

13. wrappin

wrappin Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Lubbock
    Curious if anyone ever did the camo dipping...

14. studebaker

studebaker Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    Hydrographic printing

Good news Sightline the process is finally here in 2015, I've been printing custom hydrographics for the last six months, and it's been a blast! But I agree with you about the the actual dipping process, it's way too much work and hassle for me to do anything other than print the stuff.

15. Bretbyron

Bretbyron Member

Feb 7, 2015
    Angels Camp, CA

Nice comment in the pic.:omg:

16. wrappin

wrappin Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Lubbock
    lol...........

17. wrappin

wrappin Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Lubbock
    Anyone actually try the dip kits? Have pics?

18. wrappin

wrappin Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Lubbock
    Have used several of these kits with good results.

19. Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps Kentucky Wraps

Mar 6, 2009
    Bluegrass
    So you don't have to be licensed as a "MANUFACTURER" but you DO have to be licensed as a "DEALER" but only if you are in the "BUSINESS OF" camouflaging or engraving...

Looks like you can do your own all day long as a hobby with no licensing whatsoever.

20. hcardwell93

hcardwell93 Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Indiana
    You would be required to obtain a Type01 Federal Firearms License to receive a firearm from an individual, perform work on it (they have left the building by this point), and return it to them at a later time.

If a customer drops off a gun with you to perform work and comes back another time to get it then you need an FFL. However, If a customer brings a gun to you and stands there while you are working on it you do not need an FFL. The difference being who has possession, and you only need licesensed to have possession of guns that aren't yours.