• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Add Camo Dipping to your Services

Mosh

My uncle is the local gun-smith. There is no such law about dipping guns. You got some bogus info.

cbsigns

My uncle is the local gun-smith. There is no such law about dipping guns. You got some bogus info.
Correct, there is no law about dipping guns. You are not allowed to keep the receiver overnight unless you are an FFL, though. Everything else(barrel/grips/handguards/magazines) is just parts.

omgsideburns

:corndog:

Attachments

• 603082_10151586131214505_1807383913_n.jpg
    603082_10151586131214505_1807383913_n.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 210

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Correct, there is no law about dipping guns. You are not allowed to keep the receiver overnight unless you are an FFL, though. Everything else(barrel/grips/handguards/magazines) is just parts.

That's odd. So you can let somebody "borrow" your entire gun for as long as you want (if they aren't a felon)...but you can't let someone have it overnight if you are paying them for something? Gotta love nonsense laws.

wrappin

Start your own camo dipping business using the DIY Camo Dip Kit from http://www.camodipkit.com/

The ONLY Pro-Grade Camo Hydrographics kit on the market that you can do at home. Perfect on guns, deer skulls, hunting gear, auto parts, and more. Over 40 camo patterns to choose from plus carbon fiber, wood grain, skulls, and other neat designs. Complete kits are available, or you can buy individual supplies including camo film, activator, paint, clear coat, etc...

Here is a pic of some recent dipping...

Attachments

• Skulls Pistol.jpg
    Skulls Pistol.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 169

k.a.s.

Are you just using this home kit, or have you bought the equipment to do this as a business? I have really looked into doing this, but I think if you want to do it for real you need a spray booth because you have to prime and clear everything you do.

Kevin

wrappin

Are you just using this home kit, or have you bought the equipment to do this as a business? I have really looked into doing this, but I think if you want to do it for real you need a spray booth because you have to prime and clear everything you do.

Kevin

We started with their kits and then switched over to buying the bulk supplies from them (they sell all the parts individually)

megacab

I know this is really old, but I do not want to see somebody get caught in a pickle over something they read on the net that was wrong. But here is what the ATF has to say about those that dip gun parts:

Here are the ATF rulings:

18 U.S.C. 921(a): DEFINITIONS
18 U.S.C. 922(a)(I)(A): LICENSES REQUIRED
18 U.S.C. 923(a): LICENSES REQUIRED
27 CFR 478.11: DEFINITIONS
27 CFR 478.41(a): LICENSES REQUIRED
Any person who engages in an activity or process that primarily adds to or changes
a firearm's appearance, by camouflaging a firearm by painting, dipping
, or applying tape,
or by engraving the external surface of a firearm, does not need to be licensed as a
manufacturer under the Gun Control Act. Any person who is licensed as a
dealer/gunsmith, and who camouflages or engraves firearms as described in this ruling
does not need to be licensed as a manufacturer under the Gun Control Act. Any person
who is engaged in the business of camouflaging or engraving firearms as described in this
ruling must be licensed as a dealer, which includes a gunsmith, under the Gun Control
Act.

wrappin

I know this is really old, but I do not want to see somebody get caught in a pickle over something they read on the net that was wrong. But here is what the ATF has to say about those that dip gun parts:

Any person who engages in an activity or process that primarily adds to or changes
, or applying tape,
or by engraving the external surface of a firearm, does not need to be licensed as a
dealer/gunsmith, and who camouflages or engraves firearms as described in this ruling
does not need to be licensed as a manufacturer under the Gun Control Act. Any person
who is engaged in the business of camouflaging or engraving firearms as described in this
ruling must be licensed as a dealer, which includes a gunsmith, under the Gun Control
Act.

Useful info... Thanks. Aside from dipping guns, I see a big market in dipping automotive parts and taxidermy type things (deer skulls, horns, etc...)

studebaker

Deluded Artist
Hydrographic printing

I've looked into this before. Historically you cannot make the prints yourself. These are generally gravure printed onto PVA material which is beyond the scope of most of our shops. Gravure is a sort of intaglio printing process where the image is etched onto a plate, then installed onto a drum for printing. Not at all economical for any sort of one off custom work. Last I really looked into it though there were a few digital processes being devoloped and tested possibly printing the image onto a sumblimation sort of heat transfer, than pressing that onto the PVA sheet. Been a while though so I really am not sure how far along that has come or if any sort of direct inkjet printable PVA is around yet. The problem is the PVA (polyvinyl alchohol) film reacts to liquids so directly printing to it with an inkjet is not something you would want to attempt unless you like the idea of the material melting in your printer.

It would have to have some sort of barrier carrier and like I said the last I looked into it a couple of years ago there were companies quickly working on ways to make it economically printable in house for one offs. The catch I see with that though is just like the kit listed here.... the barrier to entry is going to rapidly become too low. If any joe off the street can do it himself why pay you an upcharge to do it for him. That being said, if you have a huge tank and are dealing with large peices that would certainly be a niche that someone would not want to attempt in a home setting. I also do not like that currently your only choice is all the pre-made patterns that every other dealer and the public can also buy at the same price as you. Not to mention that the patterns are printed in massive bulk in China, what do you think the odds are that the China factory actually licensed every one of the images/patterns they are printing? lol

It's also a bit more of a fiddly process than the many sites would have you think. The item itself requires just as much if not more prep than something you might wrap in vinyl. More if it needs to be primed and have a basecoat applied. Then it gets dipped where you have a very limited timeframe from when you spray the activator on the print in the water to when you dip the item, to how long you leave the print to "set" on the item before you must quickly rinshe it to halt the setting process. Then in 99% of cases you will then need to clear coat the item to protect the new water transferred print on it.

Good news Sightline the process is finally here in 2015, I've been printing custom hydrographics for the last six months, and it's been a blast! But I agree with you about the the actual dipping process, it's way too much work and hassle for me to do anything other than print the stuff.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps

, or applying tape,
Act.

So you don't have to be licensed as a "MANUFACTURER" but you DO have to be licensed as a "DEALER" but only if you are in the "BUSINESS OF" camouflaging or engraving...

Looks like you can do your own all day long as a hobby with no licensing whatsoever.

hcardwell93

So you don't have to be licensed as a "MANUFACTURER" but you DO have to be licensed as a "DEALER" but only if you are in the "BUSINESS OF" camouflaging or engraving...

Looks like you can do your own all day long as a hobby with no licensing whatsoever.

You would be required to obtain a Type01 Federal Firearms License to receive a firearm from an individual, perform work on it (they have left the building by this point), and return it to them at a later time.

If a customer drops off a gun with you to perform work and comes back another time to get it then you need an FFL. However, If a customer brings a gun to you and stands there while you are working on it you do not need an FFL. The difference being who has possession, and you only need licesensed to have possession of guns that aren't yours.