Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding A Cutter For My XC-540

Discussion in 'Roland' started by quikseps, May 25, 2007.

1. quikseps

quikseps Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Okay...I have this nice XC-540 however also using it as the cutter too is taking WAY TOO LONG due to the nature of my jobs (small decals). I figure I could almost double production if I can cut while the printer is printing other jobs, so, the need for an external cutter?

Anyhow, since I'm new and need to ask dumb questions here goes:

I'm looking into buying a Roland GX-500 to use as my cutter for the XC-540. Question is, does this simply take the file generated from Versaworks and do its thing with the crop marks, etc?....And accurately? Or am I getting into adding a potential problem by not cutting on the printer itself?

Also, if this cutter addition works, would you suggest getting another computer for the cutter or can a single computer drive the printer's RIP and cutter simultaneously?

Thanks again!

Steve

Tags:
  2. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    The GX will work for you cutting needs.......Its one nice machine.......I think versaworks will run the cutter and printer both on one computer....

3. quikseps

quikseps Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Thanks ProImage. Appreciate the reply. Any other thoughts or opinions from all those more knowledgeable than me, LOL! is also very much appreciated.

Steve

4. BobbyFosson

BobbyFosson Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Versaworks will not drive an independent cutter.

5. customsticker

customsticker Member

Apr 23, 2007
    I thought about this same thing. My question is, the GX-500 is a 50" cutter or so. Will we be able to only cut up to 50 or even 50" wide when we have a 54" printer?

6. LightHouse

LightHouse Member

Mar 17, 2007
    you could go for a graphtec fc7000 series as well. and i beleive you would have to run a seperate computer otherwise it would be cumbersome and slow.

7. Robert M

Robert M Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2007
    colorado
    Gx 500

The GX 500 will take up to 54" material, but will cut to 47". I'll check if you can cut only to a Roland cutter in Versaworks. There may be an option of using the Cut Studio software that comes with the GX series. There is a GX 500 demo unit available at $3995.00 if you go that way

Robert
    800-328-1306

8. customsticker

customsticker Member

Apr 23, 2007
    With only a 47" cut width, there is no reason to consider this as an external cutter to a Soljet.

Why would roland do this? Just seems dumb.

9. quikseps

quikseps Member

Mar 23, 2007
    You ain't kidding. Started looking at a Graphtec cutter but there's a boatload of issues here since I could not use Versaworks to determine the number of decals I want to print. This would have to be done in Illustrator to create a file with 50, 70, 100, etc., pre-spaced decals which is a major pain. Only other solution might be using Flexi which I don't have and at $3,000 for Flexi and another $4500 for the cutter, its starting to get expensive.

One would think Roland would make a 54" cutter that can read a Versaworks file?