Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adhesive Remover

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by carter75, Aug 3, 2012.

1. carter75

carter75 Member

Jul 5, 2012
    I am semi-new to the site. I just stalked around without joining and reading threads at first but have since joined, obviously, and have really enjoyed reading and learning some new things on here. My question is, what are some of the different types of products you use to remove adhesive left behind after removing the vinyl? One shop that I worked at made their own mixture and it consisted of around 1.5 qts of Xylol, 1.5 qts of Paint Thinner and 1 qt or so of denatured alcohol. The stuff removed adhesive like lightning but you had to wear plastic gloves and be well ventilated so you didn't pass out. Anyone else have any "recipes" of their own that they use?

Tags:
  2. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Depends what it's on obviously, but...

Rapid Remover
    Robinson lighter fluid
    MEK

...all work really well.

3. 401Graphics

401Graphics Very Active Member

Sounds harsh. I use GrafxGone (citrus based remover). Or CrystalTec ultra remover, which i found to be to harsh and leaves marks on painted surfaces, and also smells like a diaper. Sometimes i use alcohol if i dont have a citrus based remover around.

4. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    RApid REmover.. about the best..

5. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    rapid remover all the way. Of all the methods and products Ive tried this one is the ONLY one Ill use and I swear by it

6. Fatboy

Fatboy Very Active Member

Wipe it down with vinegar and then remove it with benzine.

7. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    ya, chemically,,, the benzine ring is almost identical to your DNA carbon ring. A perfect way to cause a genetic mutation. Yup, good stuff.. If you want to grow another appendage.

8. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    +1

9. IronHawk

IronHawk Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Bestine or alcohol, depending on what material it is on.

10. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    depends on what you're trying to remove. buytl cellosolve will get inside a sticky pressure sensitive adhesive and turns it into boogers of rubber. also it has no cutting ability so you can wipe it on just about anything.

11. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Might grow another appendage....might turn into one of the X-Men. Sometimes you've got to weigh the risk/reward.

12. Brad Knight

Brad Knight Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Believe it or not, WD-40 will break a lot of adhesives as well.

13. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Enamel reducer

JB

14. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Spray some on your bait next time you go fishing and hang on.

15. DizzyMarkus

DizzyMarkus Active Member

Jan 23, 2012
    +10

Markus

16. boxerbay

boxerbay Active Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Darkside of the Moon
    sulfuric acid.

17. Hi all, Well My post is a similar question. I'm new to using a laminator and I got a lot of adhesive from a laminate (jam) in the botton roller of my laminator. Which are your recommendations (product) for cleaning the roll without damaging it ? thanks a lot in advance

18. Suz

Suz Very Active Member

Apr 9, 2010
    The Great Northwest
    + on the Rapid Remover (citrus based), and since I'm a screenprinter and have this on-hand: Franmar Icky Sticky Unstuck (soy based), or Goo Gone (citrus based and you can get it at the grocery store), or believe it or not, peanut butter (!) which you probably already have. :)

Of course you might not want to use Peanut Butter on something you are working on for a Customer, but I have used it on some of my own things when I was out of everything else. Hey, it takes gum out of a kid's hair, Mom showed me that. LOL!

19. Ohsigns

Ohsigns New Member

Aug 4, 2012
    This is our best weapon

My 50 years in the business we found DS4 from denco to be the best and its safe for :signs101: YouHoverrossi@gmail.complastics too,.. Ive cleaned solid sheets of glue from lexan withease

20. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Just a question has anyone ever tried Adhesive OFF? Does it work as good as Rapid Remover or is it a waste of time?