• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

adobe premiere pro

tim99

hi everyone, does anyone have any experience getting premiere pro to work with a graphics card? every time i open it or sound booth they instantly close with an error this is beginning to drive me crazy here. i already made sure all software and drivers where up to date and have graphics cards set at factory settings..

System is a windows 10 with an i5
graphics cards are AMD 5770 HD

WildWestDesigns

Did you upgrade to Win 10 from another OS version?

I have had zero problems with Premier when it was installed onto an OS (no experience with Win 10 though), but I know mom had some issues when she upgraded from Win 7 to Win 8, that's why I asked if you had upgraded to Win 10 versus to just a computer with Win 10. Apparently, one of the permissions got broken.

Main reason why I don't suggest upgrading, just do a fresh install (for a variety of reasons).

WildWestDesigns

Thanks i will give that a try tomorrow. this pc was upgraded from 7 to 10

Just to make sure, I'm primarily talking about a fresh install of the OS and then a fresh install of the programs. Not just a fresh install of the programs.

If you are just going to try to fresh install of the programs, you need to make sure that you can deactivate those programs before you try to do a fresh install of them. Do you have any other CS5 programs that were purchased with those in a suite? I'm thinking CS5 as I think that was the last CS version that they used Soundbooth in, I think it was Audition from 5.5 onward (which is a shame, I did like Soundbooth). Typically the activation code is linked, activate (or deactivate) one takes care of them all. But if they were all bought separately, that's something else.

Even if you are able to get into other CS programs fine without error messages, it would be better to have everything deactivated just in case something really bad happens while trying to fix this issue.

tim99

Finally had a slow enough day to try the fresh installs,

no luck on this sadly, I did a fresh install of windows 7 and allowed everything to download and re update. The program does not close on its own now, instead it just sits there when i create a new project with a blank screen.. So i created a new sequence then the program force closes once again.

Somehow i fell like this is still a graphics card issue.. Ill try going down to a single graphics card and screen over the weekend and see how that goes.

WildWestDesigns

Finally had a slow enough day to try the fresh installs,

no luck on this sadly, I did a fresh install of windows 7 and allowed everything to download and re update. The program does not close on its own now, instead it just sits there when i create a new project with a blank screen.. So i created a new sequence then the program force closes once again.

Somehow i fell like this is still a graphics card issue.. Ill try going down to a single graphics card and screen over the weekend and see how that goes.

When you were messing with it with Win 10, did you have a driver that was for Win 10 (hopefully something with some testing behind it and not just a quickie out there to get one out there for Win 10 driver)?

tim99

AMD hasnt updated there drivers for my model on windows 10 yet, so the driver i been using is a windows 7 driver direct from there website

Ragnabrok

AMD hasnt updated there drivers for my model on windows 10 yet, so the driver i been using is a windows 7 driver direct from there website

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows+10+-+64 <- HD 5,6,7 and 8 series for windows 10

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/workstation?os=Windows+10+-+64#catalyst-pro <- Fire pro series for windows 10

If you've got an HD 2,3 or 4 series i feel bad for you son, they got 99 drivers but win 10 aint one.

I'm surprised it would even install drivers for windows 7 on 10, it should have told you it was the wrong OS.

WildWestDesigns

The only other thing that I can think of, if this is a pre-built machine that you are upgrading, are the specs good enough for the upgrade?

If it's right on the line in certain areas, that might be causing some quirky results.

tim99

Alright thank you everyone for your help on this, sorry its slow going on getting back to everyone.

we are getting closer (i think) premiere pro lets me create a new project now.. it still crashes instantly when i try to do anything with it but at least there is some interfaces loading up this time.

this is not a pre-built system. although I do admit it was not made with premiere pro in mind, more so for illustrator and Photoshop.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• program.jpg
    program.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 157
  • system info1.jpg
    system info1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 177
  • system 2.jpg
    system 2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 157

WildWestDesigns

If the only thing that you did was put in a new driver and you got further then at least partially it is a driver issue.

Have you had any unexplained crashes or any other programs act up on you? Any artifacts happening on renders or anything like that?

If it is something that is relative to the video card demands of Premier and needing a good driver, it might be one of those wait and see things. Sometimes that's the price of trying to be "bleeding edge", especially with Windows. Especially if everything worked fine when it had Win 7 on it.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Tim99, are you running Creative Suite 4 version applications? I ask that because of the mention of Soundbooth. Years ago I ran a CS4 Production Premium suite license on my work computer; it came with Soundbooth. When I upgraded my personal CS license to Master Collection CS5.5 that had Audition in it rather than Soundbooth.

Anyway, I have read about numerous issues in the Adobe user forums regarding Windows 10 and older Creative Suite software. Some apps, such as Acrobat Pro, may fail to activate, hang intermittently or just not launch at all.

Adobe isn't doing anything to patch old CS4 and CS5/5.5 generation software. They're probably not doing anything with CS6 either. I'm wondering when they'll turn off the activation servers for CS3 and CS4 applications. CS1 and CS2 activation is already dead.

In using Windows 10 you may be forced to hop on the Creative Cloud train. We've already had to make the jump here at my workplace.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate on my personal notebook PC. Even though I'm prompted all the time to upgrade to Windows 10 for free I'm not going to do that on that old PC. The current Adobe CC apps, including Premiere Pro seem to work just fine on it. But I also have the comfort of knowing I can run my old CS5.5 Master Collection suite on it too if need be.

WildWestDesigns

Tim99, are you running Creative Suite 4 version applications? I ask that because of the mention of Soundbooth.

I had noticed that earlier when he had mentioned Soundbooth.

It's possible that it could be CS5 apps as well as I had Soundbooth then. It wasn't until CS6 that I had Audition.

I hadn't realized Adobe would be doing their thing on this as well, which is possible and it certainly would fit within their current business model.

To the OP: Might be worth it to look into options for running VM or rolling back to Win 7 if what Bobby is saying is correct, unless you don't mind updating to the CC versions.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I did a quick search and found Soundbooth was in CS5, but that's where it ended. Audition returned in the CS5.5 suite and has been there ever since. Audition had been in the CS1 and CS2 suites. Soundbooth was in CS3, CS4 and CS5.

Old CS software often doesn't work well with new operating systems. Of course that's not a problem unique to Adobe either. I've had to upgrade CorelDRAW due to the same thing (my X5 license would not work in Windows 8). It's a widespread issue.

Older computers generally work best running old software. Old software can tend to have problems on new hardware and new operating systems. I think that's one of the reasons why sales of new computers hit the skids in recent years. Most people know if they buy a new machine they're going to be spending another chunk of money on software upgrades to go with the cost of the new computer.

Switching from PC to Mac (as greysquirrel suggested) doesn't solve any of those problems either. If anything the issue of backward & forward compatibility is even worse on the Mac side. Add to that the cost premium of the hardware, the likelihood you'll have to put a Windows license on it just to run apps like CorelDRAW and it becomes an even more expensive proposition.

But, yeah, if I had to run CS4 or CS5 applications I'd roll back to Windows 7 at least. A CS3 situation might need an ancient Windows XP machine.

WildWestDesigns

Old CS software often doesn't work well with new operating systems. Of course that's not a problem unique to Adobe either. I've had to upgrade CorelDRAW due to the same thing (my X5 license would not work in Windows 8). It's a widespread issue.

That's strange, X5 worked fine on my Win 8. Did you upgrade or did you do a fresh install?

CS2 (at least Ps, and Ai) both worked on Win 7 without issue.

Older computers generally work best running old software. Old software can tend to have problems on new hardware and new operating systems. I think that's one of the reasons why sales of new computers hit the skids in recent years. Most people know if they buy a new machine they're going to be spending another chunk of money on software upgrades to go with the cost of the new computer.

That is true. Mainly due to differences in resources as well. One of the great things that has drawn me more to Linux last year was that you could get a lighter weight distro that works on older or more resource scarce hardware and still be current.

Switching from PC to Mac (as greysquirrel suggested) doesn't solve any of those problems either. If anything the issue of backward & forward compatibility is even worse on the Mac side. Add to that the cost premium of the hardware, the likelihood you'll have to put a Windows license on it just to run apps like CorelDRAW and it becomes an even more expensive proposition.

The biggest thing with running a VM though, is that your host can be just about anything and remain current and you can use your older software. Right now, out of 4 machines, I have 3 that run Linux as a host and have VMs of various Windows setups (all with different and legit licenses) and I can continue to update the host OS to remain current and still enjoy the latest hardware.

But, yeah, if I had to run CS4 or CS5 applications I'd roll back to Windows 7 at least. A CS3 situation might need an ancient Windows XP machine.

CS2 (at least Ps, and Ai) will work on Win 7. During that debacle where everyone was downloading CS2 from Adobe, some on here were putting it on Win 7 machines without issue.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
WildWestDesigns said:
That's strange, X5 worked fine on my Win 8. Did you upgrade or did you do a fresh install?

This was a fresh install of X5 on a new Dell PC with Windows 8 loaded. The installer wouldn't even run. It would get blocked with a dialog box saying that version of CorelDRAW was incompatible and that a newer version (X6) was available that would work. So I had to buy an upgrade.

We had older CS3 and CS4 licenses of the Design Premium and Production Premium suites. Some of those apps were flaky with Win 8 so we moved on to the Creative Cloud thing. Flexi 7 was also an issue, so there was another costly upgrade for one machine. Here just a few days ago we upgraded another of our old Flexi licenses from 7.62 to Flexi 12 just to run that on an old Win 7 machine, the previous machine running Flexi was an old Win XP box.

WildWestDesigns said:
That is true. Mainly due to differences in resources as well. One of the great things that has drawn me more to Linux last year was that you could get a lighter weight distro that works on older or more resource scarce hardware and still be current.

The problem with Linux is none of the mainstream graphics vendors (Adobe, Corel, etc.) are supporting it with any native Linux coded software. Which distro would they even support if they wanted to make Linux ports of their apps? You can run "virtual machines" inside Linux to support Windows software, but emulation is at the core of it. Emulation can rob performance and create compatibility headaches with things like drivers. It's not a user friendly approach either.

If I was going to do any platform switch anytime soon I would go Mac, even though that too would involve dual booting Windows. I have no idea if or when Corel will try to release another Mac version of CorelDRAW. The Mac thing only appeals to me out of a standpoint of security. The user base of Windows is so huge it makes the platform a giant target for criminals. A couple or so days ago one of our suppliers got their computers hosed with a piece of ransom-ware that locked and encrypted every disc drive it could touch. Macs aren't 100% trouble free in terms of security, but since the OSX platform has such a small share of the market very few hackers try exploiting it.