• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

adobe premiere pro

WildWestDesigns

The problem with Linux is none of the mainstream graphics vendors (Adobe, Corel, etc.) are supporting it with any native Linux coded software. Which distro would they even support if they wanted to make Linux ports of their apps? You can run "virtual machines" inside Linux to support Windows software, but emulation is at the core of it. Emulation can rob performance and create compatibility headaches with things like drivers. It's not a user friendly approach either.

I couldn't disagree with this more. I have found running VMs to not only be user friendly (and that's using VirtualBox, not commercial software like VMware, which is even more so), but also, my Win 7 VM runs quicker then it did directly installed on hardware. Now that does depend on hardware and what you use on it.

Also bare in mind Linux is the kernel, not the distro. All Linux distros share the similar kernel (shoot even Android users the Linux kernel and if a company has an app running on Android, then they have something that supports the Linux kernel). Distros just wrap around the GUIs and other programs due to their philosophy on what an OS should be like. But at it's heart, they all share the same structure which is the kernel.

If I were them and have to choose, I would pick an Ubuntu derivative (although I prefer Fedora and 2 out of 3 Linux machines use Fedora). That seems to be the far popular distro (and the respective derivatives) out there. And you also have LTS support as well. However, here is the kicker, since the Linux kernel is at the heart of all of these various OSs, it should run on any of them, given the proper amount of resource. The biggest difference between them all is the package manager and what it is, but then that isn't much of a concern as distros have everything already compiled and ready to install in their respective repositories (something, ironically, MS is getting around to as well, there are quite a few things in Win 10 that have been around in Linux for quite a few yrs, of course, their partnership with Red Hat might further that as well). Now the hiccup, is due to the philosophy of a distro is where they might not support it. For instance, VMware runs on Fedora, but they don't officially support Fedora, because Fedora has a vicious EOL cycle (13 months on average before a particular version goes EOL).

Now, if you are hardware strapped, I would use a distro that is lightweight, so that way you might be able to allocate more then 50% to a VM. For easy math, I typically allocate proportionately, but pick a lighter version of a distro helps offset and add more to the VM.

Through Wine there is some support without having to run a VM.

If I was going to do any platform switch anytime soon I would go Mac, even though that too would involve dual booting Windows.

Dual booting isn't without it's stability issues as well. I would far and way rather run a VM, then dual boot. Again it depends on resources.

I have no idea if or when Corel will try to release another Mac version of CorelDRAW.

I doubt that they ever well. If they ever did port a newer version to Mac, it more then likely wouldn't work without some bugs and people will go "Bluh, you don't get this with Adobe on Mac, Corel sucks". Then, of course, you also have the ideology that you can't be a true professional designer unless you use Adobe products (and then only on Macs), so you have that issue to deal with as well.

The Mac thing only appeals to me out of a standpoint of security. The user base of Windows is so huge it makes the platform a giant target for criminals. A couple or so days ago one of our suppliers got their computers hosed with a piece of ransom-ware that locked and encrypted every disc drive it could touch. Macs aren't 100% trouble free in terms of security, but since the OSX platform has such a small share of the market very few hackers try exploiting it.

Yet another reason gone with Linux, it even has other layers of security. Now, in all honesty, any computer that is connected to an outside network is never going to be truly safe.

Now, I haven't had an issue with Windows and security since XP days, so I think a lot of it has to do with what people do on their computers as well.

WildWestDesigns

Adobe on Android

The problem with Linux is none of the mainstream graphics vendors (Adobe, Corel, etc.) are supporting it with any native Linux coded software.

I just checked and Adobe has a whole slew of apps on Android (which is based on Linux), so they have already ported some things over to the linux kernel as it is.

Autodesk as well.

Now, these are like iOS apps and not full fledge desktop apps, but again, that is some support for Linux.

Given that, they already have their foot in the door with the Linux kernel.

I would say it's more about Linux's stance on Open Source (open source does not mean free, it just means that you have access to the source code upon the asking, some think open source and free are one and the same) then anything else, although you have things like VMware that isn't open source, but available for Linux.

tim99

If it comes to a duel boot system, ill just stick to using premiere pro on my laptop. which is a windows 10 laptop but it doesn't seem to have any issues running this. other than the fact that its tiny i3m possessor and 2gb ram runs slower than a turtle.

tim99

forgot to mention this is cs4 im working with, honestly i refuse to pay $600 a year for the rest of my life..

WildWestDesigns

If it comes to a duel boot system, ill just stick to using premiere pro on my laptop. which is a windows 10 laptop but it doesn't seem to have any issues running this. other than the fact that its tiny i3m possessor and 2gb ram runs slower than a turtle.

Since the one that you can't get it to work on sounds like a custom build to me, I have to wonder if it's the interaction of a couple of components (and their respective drivers that may or may not have full Win 10 support) that are giving you a hard time.

forgot to mention this is cs4 im working with, honestly i refuse to pay $600 a year for the rest of my life..

This is primarily why I went with the VM, but the way things were going with MS is the reason why I went with a different OS as a host.

Have you updated your BIOS for your MB? I tried looking back through your comments, but I couldn't find where you said you didn't or you did.

tim99

Ya this is my third build... I'm a little embarrassed now i never even thought of updating the bios on this I will give it a shot here shortly

Ragnabrok

Just as a secondary diagnosis, http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Try this, set it to 1024MB and run, if you immediately start getting more than 0 errors that'd explain a lot.

just to further isolate, i'd imagine your motherboard has video out on it, you could yank out the video cards, and try running it from the Intel HD on that i5. At least if it works there, you know where the problem lies.

Also, i knew several years ago some Adobe programs were accelerated with CUDA, which is an Nvidia thing. Nvidia likes to make their stuff run terribly on not-Nvidia hardware (looking at you, gameworks)

tim99

got the bios updated... cool new loading screen but no luck on pro. ill try the factory graphics tomorrow.

here are the results of that test you wanted me to run it ran for a little over 20 min
attachment.php

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 136

tim99

UPDATE

Premiere pro began working with crossfire on, so I would assume it does not like having more than 1 screen. in any case I can live with only 1 screen for video editing.

Thank you all for all the ideas and help on this!

WildWestDesigns

UPDATE

Premiere pro began working with crossfire on, so I would assume it does not like having more than 1 screen. in any case I can live with only 1 screen for video editing.

Thank you all for all the ideas and help on this!

That sounds strange.

Did you have it running in dual monitor mode when you had Win 7 on there?

If so, there is still a stability concern somewhere (probably still within the drivers, hopefully ironed out as things go a long (as long as there is support for your video card)).

tim99

Windows 7 and windows 10 both had the exact same hardware configuration and both where running 3 monitors. with crossfire on it brought it down to 1 monitor and it worked.. Im not sure myself as to why that would fix it but it did. I got in some light editing today with no issues so far. That being said im sure you are right and I will most likely see this issue again somewhere along the lines. With as Pricey as video cards are anymore I hope they continue support at least for a little while longer.