• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice needed...

Wowee18

Looking for some advice on a printer. I'm starting a small banner operation from my home. Looking to start small and slow and on a tight budget.

I found a guy looking to get rid of a Mutoh Prism Jet 38" 1.5 y/o for $2k. Sound like a good price? will this fit the bill as far as giving me some flexibility/value for the price - doing full color banners. I know its small but I need to start small and have the thing pay for itself.

Also, I will be needing software. Please tell me I don't have to start with a Flexi or some other $3k RIP? Alternatives?

Thanks for any advice!

Mark
Grand Rapids, MI

Jackpine

Looking for some advice on a printer. I'm starting a small banner operation from my home. Looking to start small and slow and on a tight budget.

I found a guy looking to get rid of a Mutoh Prism Jet 38" 1.5 y/o for $2k. Sound like a good price? will this fit the bill as far as giving me some flexibility/value for the price - doing full color banners. I know its small but I need to start small and have the thing pay for itself.

Also, I will be needing software. Please tell me I don't have to start with a Flexi or some other $3k RIP? Alternatives?

Thanks for any advice!

Mark
Grand Rapids, MI
That printer will do everything except 4'x banners. $2k is a good price but be sure it will need parts and labor if it has not been taken care of it. I would NOT buy Flexi as a RIP. Just my opinion. I use Ciberprint as a RIP. It is easy to use and very versatile. www.cibercat.com or www.cibersupply.com and you can dowload a working copy. It will print demo on the prints since it is a demo. Good support and priced right. This RIP and Corel you are set. I'm sure others will have their choices. Can you see the printer print?

speedmedia

If I where you I would look into a 30" Mimaki printer or a Roland. Either of those will beat out the Mutoh hands down with speed, reliability and quality.

If you come across something that is bigger just sub it out for the time being until you can afford to upgrade.

Thanks,
Kurt Dietrich
Speed Media

high impact

Great price for a used Prism jet.

I would recommend Flexi-Pro for banner production and RIP. You can buy a legit dongle version 7.6 used for about $1200-1500

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I had a Mutoh 38" printer. 2 K is a very good price for it. It will print banners very good. Is easy to work on if it needs it.

For software I would check out Vinylmaster pro at the very bottom right corner of this page. So scroll on down thar and check it out.

Wowee18

Thanks for the advice... I hope to pull the trigger on this before its gone. Also, I can't seem to find the ink cost per sq./ft. anywhere. Anyone know this?

Techman

Also, I can't seem to find the ink cost per sq./ft. anywhere. Anyone know this?

Irrelevant.

Ink is such a small part of the equation thats its not even a consideration.

Carl Crabtree

Ink cost is less than .50 s.f. depending on coverage. The mutoh is a great little printer. A little slow, but easy to use and service.

Wowee18

I just purchased a basic RIP - FlexiPrint SE. Should that along with Photoshop and Illy be sufficient? Or should I expect to need something more than that?