• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice on "FOR SALE" sign?

signgal

We do a lot of these type signs and fortunately sellers are getting the concept of less is more and actually paying for 2 and 3 colors but believe me, I've dealt with your type for more years than I care to remember...

Day's definitely taken your original panel idea and done a good job with it. The only thing I'd say is the number needs to be much bigger and that box moved up to allow another line of lettering beneath it.

As far as what to highlight? I think you're forgetting to treat the sign viewers as idiots, Jill. For Sale still needs to be the focal point to get their attention and the phone number second, so they can dial or write it easily. I usually do all the other gobbley goop in a bullet format, so it does busy up the sign too much. People can pull over to get that info, even though we know they won't and this guy is making a mistake putting all that on there.

Don't you love when the customer ignores your advice, shreds your layout and then asks, "That looks good, right?!"

Baz

I would lay it out to read as:

FOR SALE (drop the "by owner")
prime commercial property
X acreage
new (X# sq ft) building with rental house and utilities
price
phone #.

Notice i switched "with" and "and" for the rental house/utilities.
Personnaly i would drop the "by owner" because really ..... who cares!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I like to make my leasing signs architectural, the added cost is not that high, and you can sometimes pre-assemble and drop it in.

I also add a scale person to convey the idea of scale and proportion.

I have done a few graphic standards for large commercial leasing companies, one thing they had was a solid background for their copy area, FOR LEASE and PHONE NUMBER were usually the main read. If color was added it was generally on the copy and maybe some color band somewhere. There was a marketing reason for it and I went to some marketing meeting once about 12 years ago... my eyes glazed over with all the info so I can't tell you the reason they had. I would make 2 layouts, one the way the client wants it, one or two the way I thing it should be done.

On the smallest copy on the signs shown, the copy is 3" and 5 5/8" tall.

Attachments

• jilly-sign.jpg
    jilly-sign.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 115

Jillbeans

Here is what I drew up this morning as a rough thumbnail before going to see this guy today. I have known him my whole life so I don't think he's gonna rip me off. Going to try to talk him into losing "rental" and adding a bedroom amount or something. Rick those are exactly the colors I was going for.
:thankyou:

Attachments

• prime.jpg
    prime.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 115

iSign

Here's a 3x5 I did last month.
I was going for "classy" too. It's 1/2" MDO, 1-shot and vinyl on a "Vector Art" panel...

Attachments

• stice3x5.gif
    stice3x5.gif
    65.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited by a moderator:

Jillbeans

Aw heck Bob, the guy asked me out when I was 15, was my brother's best friend, and I was not allowed to date till I was 16. You know I gotta give him some lovin'.
I won't go into price in the open forum, but he quibbled a bit. Then I said, "Hey listen, if it sells the property for you, it's worth it."
Got the deposit check.
Is this OK? Kinda based off my sketch. To me, it's really lacking something.
Not sure if it looks better with SQ.FT. or it spelled out, and I was able to convince him not to put that rental part in there.
He liked highlighting the acreage and the prime part.
:design:

Attachments

• jack.jpg
    jack.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 103

SignManiac

Looks really nice Jill. The only thing I might change is to lower or make a tad smaller the commercial property in the upper right corner. My eye seems to be pulled up there and that might even be because Prime is pointing up to that corner.

The fonts are great, easy to read, nice prioritizing of that much copy, and the colors are perfect!

Here I went ahead and made the minor change!

Attachments

• prime.jpg
    prime.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 96

Jillbeans

Really?
The more I look at it the more I really hate it.
I think it needs a border, but that might be tricky due to the way the guy is installing it.
Back to Corel!
:)

Jillbeans

OK no border, you talked me out of it.
Better or worse?
Maybe getting too Halloweeny.

Attachments

• jack2.jpg
    jack2.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 109

iSign

Last edited by BobbyFosson; Today at 07:25 AM. Reason: Offsite images...

Bobby (or any admin) ...I went to the trouble of preparing a .gif with a transparent background, to better represent the look of a non rectangle sign layout (without a white rectangle around it)... & uploaded to the Signs101 photo gallery. From there, the thumbnail came up with a black square around it :omg: ...but I didn't give up yet... after completing the image processing clicks, I clicked to enlarge the image & the transparent background seemed to work in that instance. Then I used the photo gallery code provided for medium image & there was this black background that didn't belong there.

I'm writing this because the ability to use transparent images certainly has its place in graphics discussions between graphics professionals, and this used to be possibly within Signs101, so I wanted to know if it is still possible & how to achieve it.

SignManiac

Jill, here's my take with a few bits and pieces here and there, based on your concept, there must be hundreds of different possibilities with this sign.

Attachments

• ForSale-19.jpg
    ForSale-19.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited: