• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

advice please for first printer

john4mel4eva

I need advice on a first printer. I dont have much money to start with so I need to make the most of it. I have seen this printer, Encad 750 60" large format inkjet printer, and Roland PC 600 and also various HP and Epsons. Im really stuck any advice welcome

john4mel4eva

Welcome to Signs 101....

For someone who has so much equipment listed in your profile you sure ask alot of question about buying equipment for the first time....

I have been lucky in the respect that where I work, we had a wide and varied range of sign making equipment but all this equipment is extremely expensive and I wanted advice on the lower end (and in essence cheaper end) of the market.

TheSnowman

I'd sub it out unless you are doing the volume to get the right tool for the job. I bought mine before I stumbled across S101, and I knew nothing about subs. Had I been able to do it over again...I'd subbed everything and kept my $40K over the past four years.

jawdavis

From someone who has subbed out jobs for the past 4 years or so, I would say make the investment in a machine, if you have the right volume. It may depend on the area you're in, but it's rare to find anyone who cares as much about your jobs as you do. True, the liability of screwing up prints is now on you, but the return on investment (at least in our case) has definitely paid off.

We purchased a Roland XC-540 in Sept. '09 and have had it running almost nonstop since. It's a great machine, and Roland's Versaworks is a really great beginner RIP. Not shelling out $3,000 for RIP software has to figure in there somewhere. We now have an HP L25500 running alongside the Roland and I'd recommend both machines to anyone.

Hope this helps.

AUTO-FX

he still hasnt indicated what he intends to produce with a printer - but your right, if it's practical to sub it, sub it. There's lots of people here that would print for you.

Techman

both encad and pc 600 are beyond their years. They run good but newer stuff is about for less than you think.

Fred_B

Mutoh Value Jet 1304 ~$17K look to Wasatch they have a rip for the VJ for around a grand. Sub out is OK but I'd rather have the printer (I do) and print as well as sub. My Mutoh rocks.

I have owned my Mutoh Valujet a little over 3 years and it still prints as great as the first day I used it. I have a small shop and got the 1204 and 95% of the time that size is just perfect but there are times that the 54" or larger would be nice....I just didn't have the room or the extra money at the time.
I don't regret my equipment purchase at all! Well worth it!