• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advise ME. MagneticSigns stick better/which brand/squareOR rounded Corners?

kevin3vd1

Advise ME. In making Magnetic Signs stick better,which brand of magnetic material stays ON better, and does square OR rounded Corners help keep it on the vehicle better?
Thanks for your help.
KEV

kevin3vd1

Which material works best at 30 mills???

Which material(COMPANY BRAND) works best at 30 mills???
Need to keep it on the truck.
May have a good customer.
Thanks for the HELP!
KEV

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Round corners are so the thing won't start to lift in the wind.

When you have a square corner there necessarily exists a point near that corner where the area of the material is insufficient to hold its mass. It will start to lift at this point and, at speed, peel away and fall off.

As far as which brand, there isn't a whole hell of a lot of difference between any of the name brands.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Stay with the name brands like Magnum Magnetics or ProMag. They have more poles per inch than cheaper versions.

Rounded corners help in a number of ways that have already been mentioned by Bob. In addition, a square corner makes a convenient but not recommended lift point when removing mags because it will have more tendency to crack and break off ... especially in below freezing temperatures.

Most magnets are lost by customers because they don't take care to put them on without leaving air gaps. Always apply where 100% contact with steel is made. Never store magnets on back seats or trunks. The heat gets to the rubber causing the dimensional integrity to be lost ... resulting in a wavy magnet that never makes full contact after that and is easily blown off.

7oaks

Listen to OP. Walmart for a corner rounder found in the section where you make scrap books. Hobby lobby also.

Ken

SignManiac

Years ago I found a brand of magnetic material by the name of Magnatron. It was the strongest material I ever worked with. It was made from lithium ionized particles that were energized at a low level. They acted like a battery and turned the material into a low level electromagnet. You couldn't get this stuff off of the car unless you shorted it out with another piece of metal placed onto the surface.

I think they stopped making it because it was too expensive but it really worked well.
If you can't find a corner rounder, a quarter and an exacto knife work just as well.

mark in tx

ProMag or Magnum Magnetics.
Round the corners.

I had one of those corner rounders from Walmart that lasted 3 years!
I did finally spend the 150 bucks for a Lasco model 20, and it does 3mm sintra as well.

S

Sign-Man Signs

Also, warn your customers about cleaning their mags at least once a week. The front edge collects metal particles from the road and eventually will rub or scratch the paint on their vehicle. We included a cleaning instruction sheet with each set.

thmooch

I have the Wally corner rounder also. Recently I picked up a Zutter - Round-It-All. Cuts up to 1/8" material. This is not a replacement for the $200+ corner rounders, but may have a place for the low volume corner round use. I have only used it a few times, so I can not say yay or nay at this point(so far so good).

http://store.scrapbook.com/pp-zu-2806.html

Also at Hobby Lobby

Sign Works

Magnum / Rounded (Lassco Corner Rounder)

Attachments

• media.jpg
    media.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 157