• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advise on 30" or 54" Rolls of Material?

Stratguru

I'm buying my first equipment in the next few weeks and as I have a smaller available work area (15x20) I was considering going with a Roland VS-300i 30" machine. Also a smaller laminator and cutter.

After talking to a vendor today, they advised me that 30" rolls are hard to get and much more expensive. True?

Just wanted some expert opinions from the fine folks here. Thanks!

2B

you want to get the biggest machine you have room for. We went with the VS 640 models even though 95% of all we do is on a 54" media the other 5% is a life saver.
54" rolls are MUCH easier to get, as for the cost that depends on the supplier.

if you are getting the VS that is a printer/cutter, why do you need another cutter if you are tight on the room?
another option for tight room is to use a BS (big squeegee) for your lamination needs

Stratguru

Thanks so much for the reply.

I was considering a separate cutter based mostly on reading threads here from people that have Roland's and preferred a separate cutter. Second was a need to cut some thick laminate from time to time that may be trouble for the Roland - 12mil Convex.

thx again!

Drip Dry

I prefer a second cutter. Roland can be finicky about accurate cuts.

The larger printer ( 54") would be my choice. You will be sorry with the smaller machine. A 30" machine can only print about 27"
We just finished printing 14 - 4' x 8' prints mounted to coro. How many 36" banners will you have to give up because you can't do it with a 30" machine

ChrisBrunner

We started with a 40" cutter when they were the bee's knees (if they ever were) and now they're impossible to get material for. 36" and 54" are pretty standard roll sizes, if you've got the scratch definitely go for the 54" and get one with auto registration if you're going from print to cut, saves a ton of time in the long run and way more accurate.

petepaz

we bought a 30" roland for our first machine and with in a year we ended up buying a 54" machine. if you can handle the area it takes up (and it's not much more than the 30") go bigger. like already mentioned if even for a small amount of use at the larger size it just gives you more options.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Without knowing your financial abilities, I'd say go with the 54" in both printer and laminator. Not just for the availability of product, but also because two weeks after you get a 30" machine, you'll get an order for 5x 36" banners. :rolleyes:

In that small of a room, you may need some kind of ventilating system, unless you have good air flow, even in winter/cold months when you're trying to keep it warm inside.

mbarrett1250

Print/cut

Get the larger machine and definitely get the cutter separate!

Look at it this and maybe this will help with your decision!
When you're printing you cant cut and when you're cutting you can print. So you will be slowing your production time
down! So you will want the cutter separate!

Podiummxdesigns

Thanks so much for the reply.

I was considering a separate cutter based mostly on reading threads here from people that have Roland's and preferred a separate cutter. Second was a need to cut some thick laminate from time to time that may be trouble for the Roland - 12mil Convex.

thx again!
Get a 54, I purchased a 30'' VS300 and a 54 seal laminator. Wish I got a 54 now. Will get one soon. The 300 will cut thru 12mil like butter with a 60/sandblaster blade. I cut thru 21mil everyday, one pass. Just a heads up.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
After talking to a vendor today, they advised me that 30" rolls are hard to get and much more expensive. True?

30" rolls are one of the most common sizes. We sell Arlon and Oracal brands and I have never seen one of their product lines not offer 30" rolls as a standard size. Price per square foot is the same too.

The 30" Rolands are great starter machines especially if you are tight on space. Like others have posted in this thread, if you can afford going bigger, I would. We sold a 40" machine to a customer against our recommendation to go bigger. 2 months later they were regretting not going with the 54".

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
We've been running our Roland 30" for a few years now. We make do and tile certain jobs, as well as outsource some of the bigger stuff and it gets old. We have plenty of shop space, but not enough space in our printing room to go with a 54", let alone the 64" that I've been drooling over. We have some major shop layout changes coming to allow the bigger printer, but lately have been too busy making deadlines to work on the shop. As far as the material, there are no problems getting 30" material vs. 54" for the most part.

Sidney

I agree with master arts...

30" Rolls are very limited!!! Try to bump up the size, if it's possible.