• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adwords: Money for nothing or works?

ugh my stomach is upset in regards to marketing being a 'shotgun approach' and only because i feel bad when i see people make comments like this because i know they are spending money that they don;t need to be spending and they are not getting the results that they should be for the money they are spending (when what they should be doing is investing and generating a return)...i hate it when i encounter this because it doesnt need to be this way. your marketing should be focused. you need to define, refine and focus your resources to areas that are generating results..it can be done.

Jon Aston

Amen, brother Striker.

Ranking tops with Google is great (and no small feat) but how much qualified traffic that number one listing of yours is sending your way is what really matters. Make sure you`re optimizing for the right terms, using Keyword Research. Here's a pretty good primer. This applies to organic search optimization and pay per click campaigns.

Finally - and ultimately - what really matters... Is how much of that traffic you`re actually able to convert into either sales, or prospects in your sales funnel. In a few weeks, I`ll have something more to share on that subject. And more. PM me with your email address if you want to be sure you don`t miss it...

Rooster

I spend about $50 a month and it more than pays for itself.

You won't have the phones ringing off the hook, but if you research your keywords and target area you'll find it's a good ROI.

CentralSigns

Good advice, thanks. What I'm doing is setting up a website and using adwords embeded in the page codes to try to get some organic rankings. I know it takes 30 days for the average search engine to find your pages and listings. Hoping that a $30 per month worth of adwords brings up my business till i get good organic listings.

I spent most of last Sunday doing the google maps thing, so all set up there, Finding some competition is using a couple other directories to advetrytise in. Going to check them out as well.

I live in a Ski town so winter can be busy, our hill has the second highest vertical in North America. Most black runs. My wife and I I run a small sign business now and during the summer school break we hire our kids to help around the shop. One knows the install stuff and the other is a computer person. It's usually a little busier from April to Oct. I'm hoping to double sales with the web site and advertising that way.

Before summer want to be into my own Roland 300i, instead of subing it out to family in another town. Usually a $20 bill every print job, and a huge fudge facter.

Fatboy

My entire business is build on google ad words.Excellent return....but then I am in South Africa.....

CES020

My entire business is build on google ad words.Excellent return....but then I am in South Africa.....

So we should just start sending all those banner and sign requests we get in emails to you, since you are local? :doh:

Joe Diaz

Does not know if it works ... But feels it really would depend on the products or services....

I think there is a lot of truth to that. Have we used Adwords on our shop's website. No. But we have used them for our haunted house and it worked great.

Here is how we know: After we turned adwords on we noticed an increase in traffic on our haunted house site. Then that year we noticed an increase in patrons.

We like to speak to as many of our haunted house customers as we can. We like to find out where they came from, How they found us, whether or not they enjoyed show and where we can improve. We were able to check our findings with Google Analytics and found that some of the folks we spoke to found us because of Adwords.

Here's the deal. It's just one out of a hundred different tools you can use to market yourself. You can use Adwords till your blue in face. It may do it's job
of directing people to your site. It may do a flawless job. But if your site isn't easy to navigate, If the site it isn't attractive or professional in appearance, if it doesn't have information the visitor is looking for, or if your examples of work aren't what the visitor had in mind, then there is good possibility investing in Adwords won't be worth it to you.

I don't think of Adwords as a replacement for SEO on your site. I see it as an additional boost. Well it work for your specific signshop websites? I don't know and I don't think any person can 100% answer that for you. There are too many variables. But you can set a budget or a price limit and at least test it out for yourself. It is easy to set up. Worst case scenario you are out only the amount of money you felt comfortable investing, but then you would at least know for sure.

I'm hoping to double sales with the web site and advertising that way.

there is a 'general' rule in regards to marketing endeavors that in short says that the percentage of change you can expect to see in increased sales is in relation to the percentage of change or increase you make in your marketing. So if you are making a 5% change you shouldn't expect to see more than a 5% increase in sales.

I am all for Home Runs, take them and enjoy them when you get them...but we need to realize that is not how it always works. Our goals and expectations need to be realistic.

Now with that said I want to add that it is my belief that you should never be overinvested in any marketing plan, campaign, strategy whatever...I know some people that take the above rule and figure that if they invest HUGE dollars they have made HUGE change and will see HUGE rewards...your marketing needs to remain flexible as you begin to clearly identify who your dream clients are and the most effective way to reach them (and then the most effective way to get them to buy) you need to shift the resources you are putting out in areas that are not as productive into those that are.

In addition buying patterns change, new products and services become available, new advertising opportunities need to be thought about, etc etc. There is always room to improve your marketing.

imagep

A few years ago we developed a site just for internet sales (screenprinting). We spent thousands on adwords and had a lot of clicks. Only a very small percent of clicks turned into jobs, many of the customers were just tire kickers, and a lot of them were total lunitics. We did get a few ligitimate jobs, but we were running a loss of about $1,000 a month on the program. I discontinued it, but to this day we still get one or two new customers a month due to word of mouth from other customers who found us by adwords, and we have established a handful of repeat customers.

During the past few months we have fired several of those repeat customers because they were PITA customers. One of them would ask me two weeks in advance if we could complete his job by X date, of course I would tell him yes, then I wouldn't hear back about the job until the day before he wanted it shipped out - he would tell us "you should have the shirts tomorrow and I need it to ship Fedex by the end of the day, I will send you the artwork in a hour." Then we would get the artwork about 3pm the next day and had just a couple of hours to complete the job. just was not worth the hassle.

But we do have a few great customers that we got from that. One will order a couple of thousand shirts every 6 months or so, he doesn't care what shirt colors so we are able to clean up all the extras that are on our shelves and fill in a lot of the rest of the order with discontinued colors purchased at discounts.

Long term, if you are offering a repeat customer type of product, it may be worth it. Short term, it is a big waste.

image you have identified a huge piece of the puzzle. the goal should not be just to attract more customers but rather it should be to attract more of your ideal customers, you can not do that until you identify who they are.

once you have identified who your ideal customers are the next challenge is how do you reach them...and once you reach them, as you learned... how do you convert their interest into sales, traffic to your site is simply traffic...you have to develop ways to convert that traffic into sales.

Dan Antonelli

Here's a site we just finished: http://bermudasigns.com/

He's #1 for bermuda sign shop (out of 20 million listings)
#3 for bermuda signs (9 million listings)
#1 for bermuda truck lettering
#1 for bermuda custom signs

And top 5 rankings for a whole lot more. What's interesting is the site launched a week ago. He already scored a huge job from the site. He paid once for a site, and will never need to spend a dime on adwords.

As Dan said, yes, it makes me sad to see guys dropping big dough on adwords. Generally, you are sending them to a poorly optimized site (thus the need for adwords), and usually, not an attractive site (resulting in wasted clicks, no time spent on the site).

Brands Imaging

Dan...

i agree with you...but no offense, your competition is bermuda...not NYC, Philadelphia, or Chicago...and you were lucky enough to get BERMUDA and SIGNS in the same domain...which really shows the lact of competition.

nice site though!!

Dan Antonelli

jasonx

Listings alone isn't a very good indication. How many searches get conducted for that keyword coupled with how many indexed pages give you your KEI. The higher the KEI the more valuable the ranking.

KEI = Keyword Effectiveness Index

signmeup

Oh please.... I'm ranked #1 if you search "show piece signs". Get any domain name and type it into google with out the dot com and it comes up number one. Cheap parlor trick.

jasonx

I'll give you an analogy.

Once my brother came home from an athletics carnival. He was entered into a running event. Now my brother was over 100kg he was a wrestler not a runner.

I asked him what he came he announced I CAME SECOND very proud of himself. I couldn't believe it.

My next question was how many people entered the race he paused and then said TWO.