• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adwords

Centro Graphics

Adwords what a mine field it is. We have only just started this last month and getting to grips with it and Ad groups to put up.

One we strangely are struggling with is how potential customers would search for Large format print. So scenario.

Mr x has been tasked by his boss to find a company to produce a large graphics at the business premises: Could be any of these:

• On the wall.
  • On the windows
We have been monitoring our ads for this but seem not to be getting the desired impressions, or more importantly clicks.

What search terms would you use/ are using?

I realise that ultimately we want organic searches of our services but for now its pay time. Any pointers appreciated.

Steve

Techman

when your local competitor finds out you use paid ad words. He will click it 53 times a day for weeks.

Bly

I just spent a few minutes yesterday doing the same thing, checking prices. Heh.

binki

try fathead, wall graphics, large wall graphics, decals, large decals, large wall decals

particleman

Adwords what a mine field it is. We have only just started this last month and getting to grips with it and Ad groups to put up.

One we strangely are struggling with is how potential customers would search for Large format print. So scenario.

Mr x has been tasked by his boss to find a company to produce a large graphics at the business premises: Could be any of these:

• On the wall.
  • On the windows
We have been monitoring our ads for this but seem not to be getting the desired impressions, or more importantly clicks.

What search terms would you use/ are using?

I realise that ultimately we want organic searches of our services but for now its pay time. Any pointers appreciated.

Steve

Adwords is a very complicated beast. In your situation it will be difficult to tune this type of campaign for a variety of reasons.

Do you provide a full checkout experience or do your rely on people to pick up the phone and call? If the later you are going to have a much harder time tracing sales/leads. At the very least you need a landing page with a contact form where people submit their contact info to you. This provides a clear connection to where they found you. This is critical to justify what you are spending.

As far as keywords this is the other issue. Say you advertise "fathead" I wouldn't do this for a variety of reasons. For one this is probably a very competitive keyword already. Arguably this isn't even what you are selling since fathead is not really aimed towards business. "Wall Graphics" while much more broad is probably better. Customers also don't know industry slang like "large format digital graphics" so you probably won't have much luck with that. I see you are in the UK. Be sure to use the geo targeting features also.

All in all adwords works well for some things, others it can be difficult to capture the quality clicks.

Techman

Originally Posted by Techman View Post
when your local competitor finds out you use paid ad words. He will click it 53 times a day for weeks.
Those days ended in say 2004.

.. Yes google got sued over this, but google is not able to stop it all.

there have been several explosions of abuse since then..

right now they are being looked at again.. so it is not fool proof.

one way it works is.

An abuser opens a site,, then posts,,
This site may be shut down unless you click this link.. and other little tricks like that. There will be hits from different IP's that seem to be random. But in fact are being prompted by that one location. google does not refund for this .

FrankenSigns.biz

The problem with AdWords is 1) Competition. There are corporations with DEEP pockets competing with you. What makes you better? Turn time may be the only chip you have to play. 2) clicks vs 1st sale. What are you selling? How many Clicks at $5 each can you absorb per sale? If it takes 10 $5 clicks to sell a $99 banner, Googles going to eat yor lunch.

particleman

There are few different groups of sign shops on this site. The largest segment here appears to be local sign shop owners that have an online presence in that they use their website as an informational/portfolio type site. For this group yes if you goto google and advertise "wraps" you'll be competing nationally with everybody. The good news is that is totally worthless. With Adwords you can dial in the geographic area down to just your service region. Although you will have some national chains competing with you you can make your money go way further since you are only displaying ads to a small region.

signworldusinc

Merchant Member
some ideas would be looking at the Google's related searches and most definitely looking at your competitors ads to find out what keywords they are using. Try using keywordspy.com to see what your competitors are using.

signswi

Why would any of us list our adword keyword groups. That would be insanity. Hire a PPC company or use Adwords Express.

Centro Graphics

Some great tips there fellas thanks

I am not worried about a competitors clicking our ads so much, BIg bro google does get them and they do nt charge for these bad clicks.

Yeah industry slang is the one I am researching, or what would any joe put into google. Checking out keyword spy, I had seen that beofre somewhere but had forgotten about it, could be a handy little tool, although $89 a month basic a little

Steve

Salmoneye

Sticker - We might discourage the term but if it sticks to the wall lots of laymen still call it a sticker. Wall sticker?

Hicalibersigns

A really great resource for Adwords advertising is a book called, "Get into Bed with Google." You can order it from Amazon for $20.99.

spudstr

Most PPC campaigns with adwords needs at least 15-20k /month budget to run. Reason being is you also have a "ramp up" period with google where they will test the ads and gauge your CTR, the better CTR you have the better rate you will get, i.e cost you less because more people will click it.. and google makes money when they click it.. not see it.. so the higher the CTR the cheaper the rate and more exposer overall you will get.

Prepare to spend at lest 90 days in the sandbox before you start seeing results. Adwords is the easiest to work with and the most complex.. its very powerful with what people can search for and be limited in searching on.

particleman

Most PPC campaigns with adwords needs at least 15-20k /month budget to run. Reason being is you also have a "ramp up" period with google where they will test the ads and gauge your CTR, the better CTR you have the better rate you will get, i.e cost you less because more people will click it.. and google makes money when they click it.. not see it.. so the higher the CTR the cheaper the rate and more exposer overall you will get.

Prepare to spend at lest 90 days in the sandbox before you start seeing results. Adwords is the easiest to work with and the most complex.. its very powerful with what people can search for and be limited in searching on.

Umm, no sorry. You don't need to budget 15k-20k/ month. That is simply wrong. You can budget a few hundred a month(or less) and be successful. Also, 90 day sandbox is wrong. You can join adwords, get your ads approved in less than a day, and be displaying next to the big players that same day if you want. Yes you may pay MORE per click with a lower budget and CTR, but you can show there if you want.