• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Affordable exterior wall mounted sign substrate around 1/8" to 3/16" thickness.

Boyblue

I understand that they will both yellow but will either PVC or Polystyrene last a year before yellowing? If neither of these can go a year without yellowing then I'll need to find an alternative. Coroplast has been specifically rejected because it is associated with those cheap roadside signs, plus the ridges show through. So what is your go to material for affordable exterior wall mounted signs?

Last edited:

2B

agree some form of ACP (aluminum Composite Panel) Grimco, NGlantz, Reece all have budget brands

Boyblue

$35.00/sheet is good I'll check my Rep tomorrow. Any ideas on what to do with the Maxmetal unfinished edge?

Boyblue

Leave it exposed, clear coat it, add a edge cap.

What is the intended usage, is this as a replacement to the styrene job?
The signs will be mounted on a wall near the entrances to introduce a new product. Yes, we're definitely using polystyrene indoors but I'm having second thoughts about outside. I'm not sure how long the styrene will hold up.

Johnny Best

Styrene in your area, Bahamas, will not last long outside. Becomes yellow and brittle.
The black edge on the Maxmetal does not look bad, you can always get white rattle can plastic spray paint to spray the edge.

Boyblue

Styrene in your area, Bahamas, will not last long outside. Becomes yellow and brittle.
The black edge on the Maxmetal does not look bad, you can always get white rattle can plastic spray paint to spray the edge.
I'm going to give both options but I'd like to give an approximate time frame for the Styrene. Is 6 months a reasonable estimate?

DJr

I'm going to give both options but I'd like to give an approximate time frame for the Styrene. Is 6 months a reasonable estimate?

Should last 6mos if 1/8" thick wall mounted. If using Max Metal you will definitely want to spray the edge as the salt air will start to corrode the aluminum edges quickly. I live in south Florida and have the same issue here. Solid aluminum blanks would be a better option. Street sign grade .080 aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boyblue

Should last 6mos if 1/8" thick wall mounted. If using Max Metal you will definitely want to spray the edge as the salt air will start to corrode the aluminum edges quickly. I live in south Florida and have the same issue here. Solid aluminum blanks would be a better option. Street sign grade .080 aluminum.

Nice one, I'll check the price on .080 tomorrow. Is it more expensive than Maxmetal?

DJr

Nice one, I'll check the price on .080 tomorrow. Is it more expensive than Maxmetal?

A little bit but worth to not have issues in the harsh climate. When I explain this to my customers they usually don't mind paying a little extra for the quality and longevity. Good luck!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What size are we talking about and how many ?? How are they to be mounted ?? How fragile is the area they are gonna go ?? In other words, could you use gator ?? I know you don't have flatbeds in your neck of the woods, but are you putting digital prints on these as well..... or die-cut vinyl ??

boxerbay

You can cut some baseboard molding and glue it on the face around the edges with construction adhesive to create a nice frame.

TimToad

.080 Aluminum will cost two or three times as much as DiBond/ACM/Alupanel, etc. and in my opinion is overkill for a project only intended to last a year.

Besides, if the concern is salt attacking the aluminum edge, doesn't a solid aluminum panel have the same elemental makeup?

Johnny Best

The solid aluminum does not get affected like the thin sheet of aluminum on the ACM. It just has a slight edge breakdown from the salt air from the ocean over time. If the sign is located at least a half mile from the ocean you will not get that reaction.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Same thing around here along the Jersey shore. 1/2 mile in and there's no concerns, but along the coastline, it's corrosive city for many substrates.

Anyway, .080 aluminum is not really the thickness the OP was searching for in this thread.

Last edited: