• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

after a plotter need advice

penrite1

hi ppl

just on the lookout for a new plotter and have found a few on ebay which suit my price range

i am trying to start a medium size business to cut for cars on a weekly basis and just wondering about which plotter is the best for it's value

i have found these 2 on ebay and as their technical specifications have a broad range of functions im really not the pro when it comes down to it coould some of you give me some advice on the cons n pro on the both thanks heaps

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380083259348

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190269820635

thanks
regards

Poconopete

Welcome from PA USA
Never had a rabbit cut my vinyl so I can't help with your choice. Name brands-Roland, Graphtec, Summa are what a "medium size business" should be looking for if you plan on
sticking around a while.

penrite1

Thanks for the warm welcome pete

I understand where you're coming from, but trying to start budget for now as that is the best i can afford and hopefuly months down the track i will be able to upgrade to a rolland

But going by the specifications of these machines do you get the 'bang' for your buck??

RebeckaR

The advantage to buying a name brand like Roland or Summa is not just in the quality of the machine. It's also in the quality of the support you receive after you get the machine and you're trying to figure out what the @#$% is wrong and why you can't get it to work.

That is something to consider when you purchase an import from a seller on Ebay. What kind of warranty do they offer? I didn't see anything about that on the ads.
Do they offer tech support to get you up and running?

What software to you intend to use to operate the machine? If you are already familiar with a graphics program like CorelDraw, and you are fairly computer savvy as far as connecting hardware, you'll probably be okay. If you're a newb... you're in for quite a learning curve.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thanks for the warm welcome pete

I understand where you're coming from, but trying to start budget for now as that is the best i can afford and hopefuly months down the track i will be able to upgrade to a rolland

But going by the specifications of these machines do you get the 'bang' for your buck??

Probably not. We get a fair number of people joining here attempting to do what you want to do. My opinion is that it's false economy and risky. You will very likely waste enough time and materials just getting half as good of results as if you bit the bullet and bought a quality brand from a reliable dealer who will install and train you, then support it after that.

penrite1

thanks for that

yeah well i am very familiar with flexi sign, have used it at my previous sign writing occupation where i worked. so i am okay with the art designs process i may need a little bit of catching up to remember but that shouldnt be too hard.

i will get to the owner regarding warranty and tech support. good advice thanks, that is a important thing too.

Also, the quality of the blades, do they vary from blade to blade and how long they do last before you need to replace or for each brand or is it all up to how much you cut.

OldPaint

heres the thing about BUYING brand name plotter TO START WITH.
i bought my 1st plotter in 1992, i was lucky and got a ROLAND PNC-1000(then was only a couple yrs old, and had almost no use on it)for $1600. ok? stay with me now....
2000 i bought a ROLAND PNC-1100, for $1000, wider, faster plotter AND I SOLD THE PNC-1000, for $550.00.
ok? ANNNNNDDD in those 8 yrs i owned the PNC-1000, I cut a load of vinyl, and it drew a lot of "pounce patterns"
for me....ANNNNNNND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT!!!!
same this with my PNC-1100, which i sold THIS YEAR))))
thats why you BUY BRAND NAMED EQUIPMENT.

Alphonse43

Hi Penrite1, Welcome from Melbourne. Stay away from the cheap plotters, to go with a name brand - Roland, Graphtec or Summa would be a far better purchase. Here's a few N.S.W. dealers. http://www.rolanddg.com.au/ http://www.asigns.com/signtools/Support/Graphtec/FC7000-130.htm A-Signs stock most plotters & a range of software. There are many dealers in Sydney, just do your homework and compare prices & support. Speading the extra bucks now, will pay off later. Best of luck.
Alphonse43

penrite1

thanks for the advice and thanks for the welcome alphonse good to see another person from the aussie lands!! :)

i will look further into the rolands and wait another month to save the extra $$$ then thanks heaps for your advice, i have always used roland at work and i know what you all mean about how durable and reliable they are..totally agree

outlaw- that must have hurt!! :| good to see you went for the 2nd one they must really be good.

Techman

Either get a good cutter or forget it.. You are taking a half step. There's no commitment in buying something on the cheap. No commitment means no success. There are dozens of used but name brand cutters around. If you really intend to do this then wait your time and get a real machine.

sarge

welcome from puyallup .. you going to spend more money screwing with that rabbit then it is worth .. get something like a summa .. you can use corel draw, and winplot is free .. no dongles to screw with .. everyone i know that has/had a rabbit didnt use it longer then 4 months .. a good machine just tracks so much better saving you money in vinyl and time