• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

After I get an edge what else do I need

deep six

Hi

OK, I have my eye on a Gerber Edge II actually being sold by one of the guys on this forum. Thing is he is just selling the Edge, no plotter, no foils no dongle (whatever that is)
Just wondering how much am I going to be up for to get all this working. Looks like I need a plotter, foils vinyl, dongle??
Oh, seller is throwing in a set of Omega OEM software, but is that all I need to run it, some other software required also??
I did read a thread where someone had moved a printer to another PC and needed a code to reinstall the software, is this going to be an issue also??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
make sure the seller has the shipping clamps for the print head otherwise there could be damage in shipment...as for software, as long as the omega software comes with the usb dongle, you'll be able to run the edge....just make sure the software is the print version, not just the cut version....

obviously you'll need the vinyl and foils (if you're just looking to start up with the edge, there are a lot of really goods deals on foils on ebay...i'm guilty of purchasing from there occasionally)...as for plotter, you'll need a fifteen inch plotter with the bomb scope (at least that's what i call it)....if you still have q's, feel free to pm me.

GARY CULY

You will need to learn how to fill the areas with color and place the cut lines ,youll need to learn bleeds ,layering .all that before you actually print anything ....the omega manual is huge ,theres a million things thay put in there that a man dont need daily ..if you have someone familiar with omega they could teach you in an afternoon how to at least make basic signage .........getting text ,sizing,bordering ,shadowing,adding fills and outputing to edge ...then youll need to learn laminating ,putting it in the plotter sending the cut files properly ....you probly wont be making a ton of decals 2 hours after you hook it up .probly 2 days..within a wekk youll be able to mass produce 500 or so small decals effeciently ....and in 6 months or so youll be rockin

chopper

Hi

OK, I have my eye on a Gerber Edge II actually being sold by one of the guys on this forum. Thing is he is just selling the Edge, no plotter, no foils no dongle (whatever that is)
Just wondering how much am I going to be up for to get all this working. Looks like I need a plotter, foils vinyl, dongle??
Oh, seller is throwing in a set of Omega OEM software, but is that all I need to run it, some other software required also??
I did read a thread where someone had moved a printer to another PC and needed a code to reinstall the software, is this going to be an issue also??

you are going to need a lot more than design skills, with out the dongle to run the software, and a cutter to do the contour cutting it isn't worth much, the chance you can replace the dongle with out buying the complete software is about zero, you will need to then get software, cutter, foils, vinyl, and a laminator, if you want to protect the prints.
then you will need to learn how to run all the above, I am not saying you couldn't do it it just will take a while to get it all down,
you need to spend some time researching the equipment and the prices of said equipment to make an educated decision before buying,.
good luck //chopper

signage

The Edge 2 requires your parallel port to be ECP or the printer will not work!
You also want to see it print before you purchase it to make sure the head has no blown pixels, the heads are expensive and are not user replaceable. The software is useless without a dongle!

D Phat

You will need a plotter. We use a gerber enVision 375 (15" plotter). As far as foils go, you can purchase them from a wholesaler they also have replacement foils that you can drop in the existing cartridges. Check Fellers or possibly Advantage for these. The edge is a great tool to start with. We bought a sovent printer 2 1/2 yrs ago but kept the edge. It's a great back up for us and great on decals as well.

Good luck!

os101king

Rogaine. Learning Omega will cause massive hair loss (you'll be pulling it out in clumps) but once you've got the hang of it you're good.

::ONEBADBUG::

no dongle (whatever that is)
It's an electronicly coded security locking device used for Hardware or Software. In other words if the key is missing then something is not going to let you use it witout its presence to 'unlock it' on the system...

I would ask which key (dongle) is missing and then ask why they are offering it without it.

And if they are the original owner of the machine and/or software and it were simply misplaced or broken then they should be able to get a replacement one for you to include with it...

If they arent or they can't?
Then you have only 2 other options for replacing the missing key...
Slim & none

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't want to wreck a deal for someone here, but judging by your questions... you're almost 100% lost and don't have a clue as to what you're doing, so in fairness, I don’t want to see you get burnt either.

Before you buy this machine, find out from a reputable friend, here on :signs101: or from a dealer…. what all you need in order to get this thing up and running…because that machine alone with what you’ve mentioned so far is very lacking.

After finding out what additional items you’ll be needing, make an accurate list and price it out… then you can figure out if it’s a good deal or not. If it’s legit…. the seller will wait for your answer.

Good Luck………………..​

Replicator

I don't want to wreck a deal for someone here, but judging by your questions... you're almost 100% lost and don't have a clue as to what you're doing, so in fairness, I don’t want to see you get burnt either.

Before you buy this machine, find out from a reputable friend, here on :signs101: or from a dealer…. what all you need in order to get this thing up and running…because that machine alone with what you’ve mentioned so far is very lacking.

After finding out what additional items you’ll be needing, make an accurate list and price it out… then you can figure out if it’s a good deal or not. If it’s legit…. the seller will wait for your answer.
<b>

Good Luck………………..​
</b>

Bravo Good Fellow . . . !

Service Sign Co

Shipping to Australia sounds risky for the equipment,and I guess would be fairly expensive. Should have seen the shape the box was in after mine was shipped.

TheSnowman

Yea, the Dongle thing is your biggest issue right now. You could be buyin' some non-legit software. If you can't get it, I believe you've gotta shell out some big bucks to get another one, basically re-purchasing the software.

deep six

Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions. I do have some design skills as I already draw up my decals and sub them out. I wouldn't say I'm a guru and can always learn more but I have the basics.

Just now trying to figure what my total cost is going to be given that I will need a plotter, vinyl, foils, and possibly new software.

TheSnowman

If you can, try to figure out a way to buy new. Then you aren't surprised...you'll know the exact amount you'll need to get everything, instead of finding out later that your short something.