Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air bubbles on metal signs

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by dgipe454, Nov 23, 2006.

1. dgipe454

dgipe454 New Member

Nov 23, 2006
    I am a newbie and have learned a lot but have a lot to learn. I have no problem with banners and core plastic but everytime I try to do metal signs I get a bunch of little bubbles under the vinyl. I clean the surface with alcohol, tape in middle and lay one side at a time.. I've tried squeezes, rolling pins and other things... Is their a trick, or do I need a tool like the Big Squeezie.. If so what model for a 24" cutter? Thanks Denny

Tags:
  2. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    There's not a trick, there's just good technique. The flatter and more non-porous the substrate the better your technique needs to be. What you describe might indicate that you're not using the squeegee to put the vinyl in initial contact with the substrate, you're not using sufficient pressure, the pressure isn't reasonably uniform across the entire edge of the squeegee, you're not properly overlapping your squeegee strokes, or some combination of these things.

Especially properly overlapping your strokes.

3. imaSIGNr

imaSIGNr Very Active Member

Jan 15, 2006
    There are all the pros and cons of using wet applications to get air bubbles out by using such things as Rapid Tac, Splash etc. It may work for you if you are somewhat new to it. You could try it ...and what bob says, it comes down to technique even if you use wet appl......

4. nxtremesign

nxtremesign Member

Aug 4, 2005
    sound like u need to used more pressure and over lap the squeegee strokes
    steve

5. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    Its all technique But first you have to use a properly prepared squeegee. And you must have properly prepared/applied app tape as well.

App juice is not needed or could be needed. All depends on your prepaeration skill.s

6. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    Of course you could do it the easy way with a Big Squeegee!

:Welcome: To :signs101: from Oklahoma!​