Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airplane Vinyl

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Bigdawg, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    We have to do some 18" x 96" vinyl on the bottom of the wings on this plane. My plan is to use Oracal 751 Black on it... but having never done an airplane wing before, I am wondering:

1. Is this the right material for the job?
    2. Do we need to use any kind of primer or anything?
    3. Are there any pitfalls? Issues?

Pictures of one of the actual planes is attached.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

Not well enough versed in different models of aircraft but if that flys above levels requiring pressurization (10,000 feet I think) than it will require recertification by the FAA amongst other things. There is actually vinyl made specifically for high altitude/high speed aircraft which sign suppliers do not offer like 3M VS films - these are also resticted for sale to certified users as the FAA requirements on aircraft are very specific. For low speed low altitude I think you will be fine but I'd still switch it up to the best vinyl you can get (951). Be aware and have the pilot or mechanic clearly point out and access panels, sensor holes, etc. Also be aware that aircraft and very thin and flimsy - you can dent it pretty easily if you are not careful.

3. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    make sure you have a signed contract that you are not responsible for anything that may happen to the plane after installation. You want to want to be careful to not cover up any sensors or pressure valves.

4. jzorn

jzorn Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Fond du Lac
    You HAVE to clear this with the mechanic for the airplane because you are changing the weight and balance of the aircraft. It may seem like nothing to you, but every ounce changes the flight of the plane, and need to be accounted for. Again, it seem like nothing to you, but the airplane WILL fly different after you install the vinyl. A FAA form 337, and a airplane log book entry is usually REQUIRED to be legal to fly! You are required by law to have the mechanic sign off on ALL changes to an airplane.

5. MrSalumi

MrSalumi Member

Oct 27, 2012
    earth
    I basically interpreted this as Way Too Much Liability!

6. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    I think? Maybe? Could be? Might be?
    People do not know for sure yes make a post?
    Weight and balance? Not a problem
    Liability? Nope not a problem.

Is that a spray plane? A mosquito Plane? I worked on one like that years ago.

A good quality cast is used. Make sure all the spray, exhaust residue and wax is absolutely gone. It must be cleaned twice. Talk to the A/P before hand to see about cutting in around those inspection ports. You have to remove the screws and then put them back in. The inspectors have to look in there all the time. Up near that engine nacelle there is a thin trim strip where it transits from the wing. You do not want to go over that.