• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Airport sign falls down-kills boy

Marlene

I also saw a video of about 6 men lifting it back into place against the wall. People who installed it there probably thought it would stay up like a coke machine because of the weight. Such a tragedy to happen to that family.

I think you are right that someone thought it would just stand there. someone needs to be arrested for this. liquid nail? really, I wouldn't hang an a 6" x 6" ADA with that junk and they used it on this thing? hard to believe but I'm willing to bet their bid came in way under everyone elses and that is why they got the job

Pat Whatley

There's no sign of liquid nails, silicone, screws or bolts on that wall.

I'm pretty sure I know the company who did the sign work in the airport, they are FAR from being some hack company. Somebody, somewhere, screwed up. This project wasn't a "lowest bidder" kind of deal.

OldPaint

where was the building code inspector? sure as heck was PERMIT PULLED FOR IT....and they passed this installation????? looks like a lot of blame to go around from the company, people who did the install to the code enforcment.......and nobody will do jail time.

Flame

That's horrible. What a freak accident. I will say though that is no 300lb sign if it takes 7 men huffing and puffing, to put it back up. That sucker has to weigh a LOT.

Like has mentioned...I bet they were expecting it to just stay standing up like a coke machine so "no fasteners needed". And this....well........Do your job right or else this **** happens.

signage

I think the engineer of this sign has a lot of responsibility here. If he thought this sign would stand like a coke machine he needs to go back to school. With that thin of a base and those monitors hanging out over it, it is an accident waiting to happen if he didn't have any attachment points to the wall.
As for code enforcement, all they do is collect a check and are not responsible for anything.

SignosaurusRex

First and foremost, My heart goes out to the family of the victims
This is no freak accident. Accidents don't just happen. This is a case of pure criminal negligence...plain and simple. Inexperience and cutting corners cost in the long run. Lack of common sense on this job cost a life and should stand as an example to those that think they can just step out there, learn as they go and go for it. It should also stand as a reminder to the experienced that cutting corners or rushing a job to meet a deadline or maximize profits will come back to haunt.
On a side note....Signs101 is a source of education. Maybe it is time to add a section devoted to industry related Safety issues.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I think the engineer of this sign has a lot of responsibility here. If he thought this sign would stand like a coke machine he needs to go back to school. With that thin of a base and those monitors hanging out over it, it is an accident waiting to happen if he didn't have any attachment points to the wall.
As for code enforcement, all they do is collect a check and are not responsible for anything.

This isn't an engineer's issue. Signs are frequently estimated one way, then engineered differently than they were estimated, and then manufactured differently than they were estimated or engineered. It happens all of the time. Unless there's something not obvious being shown in that video, this is an installation issue. Even if it wasn't engineered or manufactured with the proper anchoring hardware/brackets/etc. built into the sign, the install crew shouldn't have left the site until it was mechanically anchored to the wall OR they should have brought it back to the shop and had the issue rectified. The crew responsible for the installation should have known that this needed to be mechanically anchored to the wall. If it wasn't engineered or manufactured that way - then, yes, it should have been. But in the end, to install it without a single mechanical fastener - that falls back on the installer.

Ragin Cajun

I bought a new stove.

It came with a tipping bracket that should be mounted to the wall at the bottom right.

I thought to myself.....I don't have a kid that will hang on the door so I did not put it.

I put the stove in place....opened the door....it started to tilt over.

I installed the bracket. heheheeh

I guess they figure if you are cooking something heavy like a turkey...you open the door and slide out the shelf...it will tip over.

I am sure with the sign....it seemed secure at the time and no one thought anyone would hang from it.

It could have been designed for a certain TV in it...then later the TV was substituted for a newer model that could have been slightly heavier.

It still should have been anchored to the wall on both sides.

FS-Keith

This isn't an engineer's issue. Signs are frequently estimated one way, then engineered differently than they were estimated, and then manufactured differently than they were estimated or engineered. It happens all of the time. Unless there's something not obvious being shown in that video, this is an installation issue. Even if it wasn't engineered or manufactured with the proper anchoring hardware/brackets/etc. built into the sign, the install crew shouldn't have left the site until it was mechanically anchored to the wall OR they should have brought it back to the shop and had the issue rectified. The crew responsible for the installation should have known that this needed to be mechanically anchored to the wall. If it wasn't engineered or manufactured that way - then, yes, it should have been. But in the end, to install it without a single mechanical fastener - that falls back on the installer.

very true, something as simple as a piece of 2x2 alum angle bolted to the top and the other end tek screwed into all of the studs would have prevented something like that. sooo sad and stupid it was overlooked

petrosgraphics

feel so bad for the family.....

mistakes were made from the get go... before the sheetrock was installed, engineered

drawings were made as to what was to be placed on the wall.. it was not a last minute

change.. (oh! lets just put a bank of monitors here.) more than likely the general

contractor did the install. or a sub contractor working for the general contractor.

installation drawings must have been made......

still, very, very sad..

we have done many installs for national franchises, signs manufactured by a national

company, shipped to us, with all sorts of install drawings. for gods sake, you would not

put channel letters on a wall in a mall location using just PL 400..

signguy 55

I did some work for a guy who built multi story condos in Florida. Anytime he and his wife are on vacation he tells his wife as she leans against the railing on the balcony,

"Be careful about that railing, it was built by the low bidder!"

I thought about that yesterday.

visual800

I spoke with a salesrep from a large birmingham sign co that did the signs ine airport but they sais they did not install these units. Its horrible for sure

fmg

I am looking at the picture with the wall surface shown.It appears that it's not a sheetrock wall rather a Dibond or something similar wall.A lot of the airports have these false walls in place and they have build outs often when they change the layout of the floor plan.It may have been quite possible that this sign would have not have a strong support had it of been attached to the wall.It's not an excuse to not have this type of structure secured to prevent a tragedy like this but just an observation. I travel a lot in airports and have seen these type of walls often.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Very sad story.
Of all the things someone could get hurt by at the airport, falling displays would not have been on my list.

wayne k
guam usa

SD&F

That is one of the saddest things. I feel that when we do an install or engineer a sign, it IS OUR RESONSIBILITY to be sure it is done with safety in mind always. I am here to make money, but not at the expense of endangering lives. We have had customers want to cut corners and save money, but not at the risk of something like this happening. This is someone installing something with little or no supervision from a qualified individual. The ball was dropped and someone died.