Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airport sign falls down-kills boy

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by lenwardus, Mar 23, 2013.

1. lenwardus

lenwardus Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Tags:
  2. Haakon

Haakon Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Norway
    "Orsorio said that from what he saw, the sign appeared to be attached to the wall "only with liquid nails," which is a caulking-like substance similar to heavy duty hot glue."

Wow... hope this is not the case!

Very tragic and sad..

3. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    how incredibly sad for the family. There is no excuse if indeed they only used liquid nails or silicone.

*steps on soapbox*
    This is why you see so many of us b!tch on here about knowing what you are doing when it comes to installing a sign. I saw a thread a while back about a sign on top of a building that was not mounted safely from the previous sign person and how they - the new sign person - needed to convince the client that the whole structure needed to be redone rather than just replacing a face. Showing them something like this may be the convincing they need.

No one is going to die from a poorly mounted 4mm coro sign. But when you start talking structure and weight load you damn well better have some engineering knowledge of what you are about to install because it IS a real life and death issue if something goes bad. Making the sign is easy, but making sure it is mounted correctly requires not only some common sense, but some degree of engineering and/or construction knowledge.

*steps back off soapbox*

4. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    someone will likely face a negligent homicide charge over this.

5. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    And they should.

6. lenwardus

lenwardus Member

Aug 28, 2011
  7. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    :goodpost:

+1

additional video here, showing a crew of workers repositioning the sign that fell and crushed this family... giving you a sense of how big this thing really was, which is actually a 6x10ft. aluminum cabinet flight display with LCD monitors. It may as well have been a small car.

added note:
    We built and installed the flight displays for Milwaukee International Airport, and mechanical fasteners were most definitely used! Never, NEVER, did we think, nor attempt to convince ourselves, that liquid nails would be enough to keep these things from tipping over!

Attached Files:

8. Sign Up Graphics

Jan 8, 2007

A big, big lawsuit here :omg2:

9. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
  10. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

many airports...........have "in house" sign shops......if so then the airport insurance will cover it.

11. fmg

fmg Very Active Member

Dec 14, 2009
    No insurance will bring back the victim.How absolutely awful.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  12. Techman

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    Won't cover the homicide charge.

I remember a post a while back. Some of us said it was stupid to even consider using liquid nails. A couple others aid ya it was cool.

I always thought its stupid to depend on liquid nails for anything more than foam letters. . Now I think its negligent and stupid.

13. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton
    Ban assault signs!!!

Also have background checks on all the workers who install signs.

:omg:

14. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    wonder if this was the lowest bidder or a someone who just has no clue? totally agree that when we do jump all over a shop that has no experience and has no clue what they are doing, we aren't always being jerks.

but speaking of jerks, protec, WTF? seems like you jump into threads and post that same stupid a$$ type of comment like this relates in any way at all, is that the best you have? if so, we have seen it time and time again from you and it wearing thin

15. cajun312

cajun312 Active Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Louisiana
    Local news reports say that section of the terminal has been open less than two weeks since a multi million dollar upgrade.

16. fmg

fmg Very Active Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Are places like airports not union controlled as to who they contract out jobs to?

17. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    You're an a***ole, show some respect, a 10 year old has died and this is what you have to say! Not everything is a opportunity to forward your political beliefs!

What a horrible thing to happen, my thoughts are with the family. This is an installers worst nightmare.

18. Techman

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    I pray it's NOT one of those cases where some manager said not to drill any holes in the walls. Looking at that display and noticing the center of gravity. It was an accident waiting to happen. There is no evidence of any bolt or bracket being pulled from the walls studs.

19. fmg

fmg Very Active Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Just looking at the news video, I honestly cannot believe that this type of structure was adhered to the wall with Liquid nails, what on earth were the people thinking that installed it. That is pure negligence and it cost someone life.I sit here shaking my head at how pathetic some people are!! Screw all the B/S with the lawsuits etc etc This kid lost his life.

20. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    I also saw a video of about 6 men lifting it back into place against the wall. People who installed it there probably thought it would stay up like a coke machine because of the weight. Such a tragedy to happen to that family.