• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Airport sign falls down-kills boy

Haakon

"Orsorio said that from what he saw, the sign appeared to be attached to the wall "only with liquid nails," which is a caulking-like substance similar to heavy duty hot glue."

Wow... hope this is not the case!

Very tragic and sad..

Bigdawg

Just Me
how incredibly sad for the family. There is no excuse if indeed they only used liquid nails or silicone.

*steps on soapbox*
This is why you see so many of us b!tch on here about knowing what you are doing when it comes to installing a sign. I saw a thread a while back about a sign on top of a building that was not mounted safely from the previous sign person and how they - the new sign person - needed to convince the client that the whole structure needed to be redone rather than just replacing a face. Showing them something like this may be the convincing they need.

No one is going to die from a poorly mounted 4mm coro sign. But when you start talking structure and weight load you damn well better have some engineering knowledge of what you are about to install because it IS a real life and death issue if something goes bad. Making the sign is easy, but making sure it is mounted correctly requires not only some common sense, but some degree of engineering and/or construction knowledge.

*steps back off soapbox*

MikePro

*steps on soapbox*
This is why you see so many of us b!tch on here about knowing what you are doing when it comes to installing a sign.
... you damn well better have some engineering knowledge of what you are about to install because it IS a real life and death issue if something goes bad. Making the sign is easy, but making sure it is mounted correctly requires not only some common sense, but some degree of engineering and/or construction knowledge.

*steps back off soapbox*

:goodpost:

+1

additional video here, showing a crew of workers repositioning the sign that fell and crushed this family... giving you a sense of how big this thing really was, which is actually a 6x10ft. aluminum cabinet flight display with LCD monitors. It may as well have been a small car.

added note:
We built and installed the flight displays for Milwaukee International Airport, and mechanical fasteners were most definitely used! Never, NEVER, did we think, nor attempt to convince ourselves, that liquid nails would be enough to keep these things from tipping over!

Attachments

• SS 2013-03-23 at 12.05.41 PM.png
    SS 2013-03-23 at 12.05.41 PM.png
    515.4 KB · Views: 119

OldPaint

many airports...........have "in house" sign shops......if so then the airport insurance will cover it.

fmg

No insurance will bring back the victim.How absolutely awful.

Last edited:

Techman

if so then the airport insurance will cover it.
Won't cover the homicide charge.

I remember a post a while back. Some of us said it was stupid to even consider using liquid nails. A couple others aid ya it was cool.

I always thought its stupid to depend on liquid nails for anything more than foam letters. . Now I think its negligent and stupid.

Marlene

how incredibly sad for the family. There is no excuse if indeed they only used liquid nails or silicone.

*steps on soapbox*
This is why you see so many of us b!tch on here about knowing what you are doing when it comes to installing a sign. I saw a thread a while back about a sign on top of a building that was not mounted safely from the previous sign person and how they - the new sign person - needed to convince the client that the whole structure needed to be redone rather than just replacing a face. Showing them something like this may be the convincing they need.

No one is going to die from a poorly mounted 4mm coro sign. But when you start talking structure and weight load you damn well better have some engineering knowledge of what you are about to install because it IS a real life and death issue if something goes bad. Making the sign is easy, but making sure it is mounted correctly requires not only some common sense, but some degree of engineering and/or construction knowledge.

*steps back off soapbox*

wonder if this was the lowest bidder or a someone who just has no clue? totally agree that when we do jump all over a shop that has no experience and has no clue what they are doing, we aren't always being jerks.

but speaking of jerks, protec, WTF? seems like you jump into threads and post that same stupid a$$ type of comment like this relates in any way at all, is that the best you have? if so, we have seen it time and time again from you and it wearing thin

cajun312

Local news reports say that section of the terminal has been open less than two weeks since a multi million dollar upgrade.

CanuckSigns

Ban assault signs!!!

Also have background checks on all the workers who install signs.

:omg:

You're an a***ole, show some respect, a 10 year old has died and this is what you have to say! Not everything is a opportunity to forward your political beliefs!

What a horrible thing to happen, my thoughts are with the family. This is an installers worst nightmare.

Techman

I pray it's NOT one of those cases where some manager said not to drill any holes in the walls. Looking at that display and noticing the center of gravity. It was an accident waiting to happen. There is no evidence of any bolt or bracket being pulled from the walls studs.

fmg

Just looking at the news video, I honestly cannot believe that this type of structure was adhered to the wall with Liquid nails, what on earth were the people thinking that installed it. That is pure negligence and it cost someone life.I sit here shaking my head at how pathetic some people are!! Screw all the B/S with the lawsuits etc etc This kid lost his life.

John Butto

I also saw a video of about 6 men lifting it back into place against the wall. People who installed it there probably thought it would stay up like a coke machine because of the weight. Such a tragedy to happen to that family.