• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alternative to 3M IJ35C?

Andy D

Probably 80-90% of what I do in-house is outdoors short to mid term signs on flat panels, 1-16 months.
I have been using 3M IJ35C for the mid term signs but haven't been happy with any type
of vinyl for short term signs. Is there a off-brand vinyl type with comply adhesive that's less than the 3M IJ35C? The thicker the better.

Reveal1

Briteline Duration X (Grimco) pretty decent and almost identical to the 35c of a couple of years ago before 3M screwed it up.

Andy D

Are you skipping lamination?
I use 35c as my go to cheapie, but it has to be paired with some arlon 3420 to be stuck by inexperienced hands.
I don't laminate coro or styrene, I offer it as an add-on but nobody chooses it.
The issue I have is that my laminator sucks and if I try to mount any vinyl that's not a thicker and air egress I get bubbles I can't work out.

Andy D

Really? Honestly I've never tried to mount unlaminated through the laminator, but perhaps the laminator is the heart of the issue?
If I try to laminate vinyl, I either get horrible bubbles if the pressure is a tad too low, or it bunches up and wrinkles if the pressure is a tad too high and a happy middle is next to impossible to get.
I have to mount the vinyl first and then laminate... even then I have to stop the laminator, pull the lamination off and restart about 1/4 of the time.

Last edited:

Andy D

FYI, I just found a source for $160 54" x 50 yards, so I guess that's as good as I will get & stick with that.

Andy D

That's a pretty fine price indeed! Who has that deal?
Still gonna say, maybe the laminator needs to be replaced...

PM me and I will be happy to link you up... they deliver to my area but I believe if you buy more than $200 they ship for free...but you will need
to call and check that.

My laminator is they type that both sides go down separately & the weight of the roller should be enough pressure, but it has a horrible low spot, so I have to apply
pressure & if either side has a tad more pressure it screws up.
My plan is to switch out the top roller with the bottom one and see if that helps... If not, what I have done with a different laminator was to take the rollers to a machinist
and let them lathe it down, it work perfectly before and I talked to a local guy who says he has done that before, I really don't want to take my laminator apart if I can avoid it.

Andy D

I'll take ya up on that!
It sounds like you're doing a lot to take care of the laminator, I'm guessing it's not a frequently used machine? Or you have cruel bosses who like to see you suffer?
No, the business owner is a great guy, couldn't ask for a better boss.. I don't do a lot in house, mostly to get stuff for our clients in a bind.
Check your PM.

ikarasu

Grab a highway handyman for sign mounting. I never understood why people use a laminator to mount prints... It's so slow / combersome. If you don't do enough for a flatbed applicator a highway handyman works great.... I believe we just paid 2k for a 36" version.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
FYI, I just found a source for $160 54" x 50 yards, so I guess that's as good as I will get & stick with that.

I can do better actually, and my rolls will be 164', should have it nailed down today. My goal is to get it delivered under $155 on 54"x164'

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Probably 80-90% of what I do in-house is outdoors short to mid term signs on flat panels, 1-16 months.
I have been using 3M IJ35C for the mid term signs but haven't been happy with any type
of vinyl for short term signs. Is there a off-brand vinyl type with comply adhesive that's less than the 3M IJ35C? The thicker the better.
Switched to Briteline Duration X as well, then switched to Avery 2903 and love it. So much I've switched my usual 3M IJ180V3 over to Avery 1105 EZ.