• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alternative to 3M IJ35C?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I'm going to look into this. I think the main reason folks use their laminator is that they have one already... and space constraints of course. But I hate unloading the laminator to mount prints, and I'm constantly worried I will mess up one of the rollers with something like .090"
If you have the room, buy a turd chinese laminator on ebay for mounting then you wont worry about that.

ikarasu

If you dont do much mounting you can use the chinese ones off ebay that dont use air. The air makes loading the prints really quick though.... so if you have a dozen or two dozen things to mount, it takes half the amount of time.

I get that people have a laminator so they use it. We do a lot of aluminum signs... and everytime we get behind they try to get me to use the laminator to help mount prints... I outright refuse just because I don't want the sharp edges to risk damaging the rollers. I know a lot of people use their laminators for mounting, and maybe its not an issue and its just in my mind... but I wouldn't want to risk my rollers when laminators are very sensitive to cuts and cost as much as a highway handyman to replace the roller on.

The way I see it... Lets say you save an hour a week by not using a laminator. If you value your time at a poultry $20 an hour... thats $80 a month, or almost $1000 a year. So that highway handyman pays for itself in 2 years, just on time saved, let alone wasted material if your laminator keeps messing the mounting up.

Some stuff isn't worth fighting with to get to work properly. A flatbed applicator was one of the best purchases we ever made - A handyman comes in a close 2nd. If we didnt have a flatbed applicator though, I cant see us not buying a few highway handymans... It seems expensive for what it is, but the time / frusteration saved is worth it

Andy D

That is good stuff, but it is thin. My version is 4 and also 5 mil thickness.
Bigfish, send me info please.

I'm going to look into this. I think the main reason folks use their laminator is that they have one already... and space constraints of course. But I hate unloading the laminator to mount prints, and I'm constantly worried I will mess up one of the rollers with something like .090"
Can you link me to the one you're looking at?

Andy D

and everytime we get behind they try to get me to use the laminator to help mount prints... I outright refuse just because I don't want the sharp edges to risk damaging the rollers. I know a lot of people use their laminators for mounting, and maybe its not an issue and its just in my mind... but I wouldn't want to risk my rollers when laminators are very sensitive to cuts and cost as much as a highway handyman to replace the roller on.
Something to consider is to use a "wrap liner cutter" it's a knife that cuts the backing liner without cutting the graphic, cut across the print right in the middle, and mount from the middle to one side and then the middle to the other side. You wouldn't have to worry about aluminum edges gouging your rollers.
That's what I do and it help a lot.
100-023.jpg

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Get one of these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32794081542.html
we used one for a year before we got our flatbed applicator. It was a huge improvement on mounting times and easy to use.
Even after their sales pitch, it is still a good idea
>>>>
1.Do the real surface waterproof
2. Air oxidation, delay
3.The film covering the stain resistance, surface cleaning
4. Prevent the printing surface scratch
5. Improve the printing or photo texture, grade
6. To increase hardness
7.Contract, archival film, prevent malicious modification
>>>>>

Andy D

I'm a fan of these. I use them to split the backing on laminate when loading the laminator. Works great unless is the 3m 8500 series, that sh*ts too thin.
Yeah, same here. I also pull of enough lam for the panel split it in the middle and run it that way.
I run into issues with unlaminated prints with a dark background or when printed on cheap vinyl.
Is there a particular brand of cutter you like?

Andy D

Arlon 3420 satin. It the only true satin I've come across, not like 3m's luster, which I call gloss all day. I find I can convince 99% of customers that they want satin, so less unloading and loading.
No type of cutter.. I use Briteline satin BTW.

Andy D

Somewhere I have a plot template for the boots if anybody wants to buy their own roll of tape and make them...
Yes please & where do you get the material? I hate buying replacements, they cost almost as much as buying a new knife.

Old Timer

Probably 80-90% of what I do in-house is outdoors short to mid term signs on flat panels, 1-16 months.
I have been using 3M IJ35C for the mid term signs but haven't been happy with any type
of vinyl for short term signs. Is there a off-brand vinyl type with comply adhesive that's less than the 3M IJ35C? The thicker the better.
We have been using HP Prime Air GP. no noticeable difference