• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

alternative to Gatorfoam

Tony Rome

I have been experimenting with cutting (or having Harbor cut) some helmets shapes out for me in gatorfoam for some local schools and then I put decals over them.
However, I realize, this gatorfoam is too expensive. Sure I can fit about 6 on a sheet, but still over $100 for a 4x8, a little salty.
The customer wants that .5" to 1" 3d look. What else could i use that would be less money but that could be cut CLEANLY with a router?

I am not totally opposed to cutting something by hand, but it is so nice when I send it to Harbor and they send it back cut perfect and ready for the decal.

I have tried some cheaper foam, but man the stuff is easy to damage and unforgiving once the decal barely touches it.
With gatorfoam if I make a mistake I can lift it back up.

Any ideas...is gatorfoam just ridiculous and overboard for what I am doing?
It is not like the customer needs it super durable but if it drops I sure would like it to still be OK.

THANKS!!!

Tony Rome

yeah seems like UltraBoard is the only other solution, but sure doesn't save much money. Any advantages other than saving $10

Sign Eagle

yeah seems like UltraBoard is the only other solution, but sure doesn't save much money. Any advantages other than saving $10

Ultraboard is easier to cut with a knife and the edge of ultraboard is not as sharp, doesn't need to be sanded. Both aterials are available in over size sheets, 5x10, while moe expensive, you might get a better yeald and lower the unit cost.

Typestries

FWIW, we could supply 1/2" Ultraboard, high quality flatbed print it one sided and rout it for only a bit more than you pay for the routed sheet now. Give me a shout if interested, I won't put prices here but I think you would be surprised. We do a regular run of something very similar for a client in W. Va. on a regular basis and the end users rave about the product. I can send you a printed sample, just shoot me PM or email. Thanks

petepaz

unfortunately we are always fighting a price/cost issue but some jobs you just can't cut corners. the ultra board or gator are going to give you the best result and if you don't have a router/cnc to cut with you are kind of at the mercy of the vendor.