• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Aluminum Faced Routed Letters

PushProductions

Im running into a problem.

Goal: I am trying to achieve a think routed letter with an aluminum face. Mainly using 1/2" PVC faced with .040 aluminum. These also need to be stud mounted which mean routing stud holes into the back.

Problem: My first attempt, I faced the pvc with the aluminum faced. I placed the substrate onto the router table with the aluminum facing down. I route out my stud holes and then proceed to cut the letters out. The problem is when i route the letters out with the aluminum facing down when it hits the aluminum it shoots hot aluminum pieces up into the sides of the pvc (which looks terrible!). I am using upcut bits, i do not have a vacuum table and i just have a mdf sacrifice sheet underneath.

The only solution i have come up with is to place the sheet up pvc on the table and route out the stud holes. Then without moving the pvc, face the pvc with the aluminum sheet and then route out the letters. Since the aluminum is on top all the shavings do not affect the pvc. The down side to this is i like to sent the two pieces through the laminator when i adhere them because it bonds them together much better.

I know there is a solution out there for this problem. Before we got a table in house when always did letters like this through another company and they never had problems(I wish i could just ask them).

So in summery. I need a bit that will not throw the aluminum shards into the sides of the pvc. Or i need to know what others do in this situation.

Please Help!
Thank You

OADesign

Your best best (even though it will take longer) is to set up and cut the pvc. then set up and cut the aluminum. Meaning two separate processes. Then glue the parts together after.

Also if the aluminum is on the bottom, why are you going all the way through? Just decrease the depth on the hole pass so as not to hit the metal.

But I think my first suggestion is the better option.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Your best best (even though it will take longer) is to set up and cut the pvc. then set up and cut the aluminum. Meaning two separate processes. Then glue the parts together.

+1. I've done that on several projects, and it works well. When i bond them, I use a combination of clear silicone and vhb tape.

The last project that I did I used 3/4" pvc backer, brushed aluminum face, and on top of that I put 1/4" pvc letters custom painted to match the customers logo. The logo was installed 3" off the face of the building, and back lit with color changing LED's. ..

PushProductions

When drilling my studs i only go about half way through. It is when i actually cut the letters completely out that i go down to the aluminum. So the studs are drilled and the letters are cut out without having to more the substrate at all.

I have tried this method of cutting both separately. It never seems to line up as good as cutting together, but maybe i am doing this process wrong.

PushProductions

downcut bit, slow your feed to compensate

I talked to a few bit companys and they also recommend atleast trying this. I have a bit on the way. Seems like it would clog up since it has nowhere to go. I should get the bit today and will try this.

Thanks everyone for the quick feedback!

GVP

You may also want to consider multiple passes - the first ones to cut down to the start of the aluminum and then a final pass to cut through the aluminum. Personally, I would stick with the upspiral as they tend to give a cleaner cut on the bottom surface (i.e. the face in your case) - the trick is to clear out the kerf efficiently, so the swarf doesn't ruin the edges of the letters.

Techman

down cut your first pass to get a clean top edge on the substrate. Doesn't take a deep cut .. Up cut from then on.