• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Aluminum sign attached

JOE1

Hispana Signs New York
How do i install an aluminum sign to the top of the roof of a building if the top is flat and does not have any posts on the sides?
Does it holds if I place some steel frames attached to the beams of the roof?

Bigdawg

Just Me
If you don't know how to do it... my best advice is to partner up with a shop that does. No offense meant, but seriously... what if it falls? What wind load is your frame going to be able to take? What does your city, county require?

Around here you have to permit a sign and that includes the detailed plan for installation... complete with pretty pictures of our frame construction...

This could get ugly for you if the sign structure fails...

petepaz

what ever you use make sure it is strong enough that the wind is not going to blow it off
i haven't had to do any installs like that before usually just attached to existing frames or to the side of the building but i can just imagine it would have to be reinforced real good

petrosgraphics

get someone else involved.... if it is a membrane roof you may be opening yourself up to

all kinds of problems......if you penetrate the rubber roof without knowing what you are

doing it can void the warranty on the roof.....

davidcarr87

when i owned a retail direc tv office i would always push "non pen roof mounts"
their great..they were just a metal frame made of 1"x1" angle iron..the base was designed so that you could put 8 concrete blocks on it...and it would hold the big high def satellite dish(bout 50lbs) and it catches a lot of wind..

maybe something like this would work but on a larger scale??

google :D

CL Graphics

You are gonna need to build a structure to support the sign. May want to contact a carpenter or welding shop to steer you in the right direction

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
when i owned a retail direc tv office i would always push "non pen roof mounts"
their great..they were just a metal frame made of 1"x1" angle iron..the base was designed so that you could put 8 concrete blocks on it...and it would hold the big high def satellite dish(bout 50lbs) and it catches a lot of wind..

maybe something like this would work but on a larger scale??

google :D

I don't think I would sleep well at night using this idea to install a sign on a rooftop.
To close to something the coyote might use on the roadrunner
.........ACME Wind Powered Catapult.

wayne k
guam usa

davidcarr87

well..like i said....it was for a satellite dish..lol
he might be able to adapt and make something on a bigger scale to work for his sign..just tossin ideas out there :D

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
well..like i said....it was for a satellite dish..lol
he might be able to adapt and make something on a bigger scale to work for his sign..just tossin ideas out there :D

I understand, but we have to be pro's around here or one of the "Old Ones" will get all hot under the collar and come down on us like..... a ton of bricks launched from a rooftop or something.

:thumb:

wayne k
guam usa

davidcarr87

thanks for the reminder :D

i just did a google image search..and found where a guy had made the frame a little taller then needed..and bolted it to the backside of the rooftop ledge..
the wall came up past the roof a few foot..and he bolted it to the back side of that..
the it was a small banner with wind slits in it..he just bolted the frame to the wall..hmmm
i dont even know bout that..it didnt look very sturdy :p

JOE1

Hispana Signs New York
THANKYOU ALL for advices. What I did, since I couldn't find any help or any other shop with this specific experience in my town, I hired a carpenter, and together we created a type of metal "L" for holdign the sign, just screwing to the beams, not touching the roof, and in the lower part, we attached to the concrete wall with metal "L's". It is very strong though, due to the fact that in this town (Spring Valley NY), wind is strong, and village rules are kind of hard, but it kept really good. I appreciate everbody's comment.

elitetech

frosted window film

I love working and seeing the finish product using frosted films, and I have tried few projects with my suggestions, and both times I lost alot of money reduing over and over and the other the job was cancelled due to bubbles and not being able to put all the details that my conture cutter cut out.

I can install any vinyl to any windows but there has to be tricks to getting frosted window films perfectly with out loosing any detail cut film.

can any one give from prior experiance what to do.

allamericantrade

If you don't know how to do it... my best advice is to partner up with a shop that does. No offense meant, but seriously... what if it falls? What wind load is your frame going to be able to take? What does your city, county require?

Around here you have to permit a sign and that includes the detailed plan for installation... complete with pretty pictures of our frame construction...

This could get ugly for you if the sign structure fails...
:goodpost:I have installed signs all over including NYC and every install varies to some degree. you need to be familiar in framing and construction to quite a degree and have an idea as to what your fasteners shear streanth capabilities are. I wouldn't give advice with out being able to see the construction of the site as well as the sign construction and even then with out having the experiance behind you to having a "feel" of the material your penetrating into it probrably would not be a good idea to self install.

John L

THANKYOU ALL for advices. What I did, since I couldn't find any help or any other shop with this specific experience in my town, I hired a carpenter

I was just gonna suggest you transfer that pesky liability to someone else... well done.

"...Last one that touched it..."

MikePro

yes. like this.
glad I went to post this as an example... just realized that i don't have night shots of my illuminated lemonades!!!

Attachments

• Picture 36.png
    Picture 36.png
    286.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Picture 35.png
    Picture 35.png
    298.3 KB · Views: 98