• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Am I able to print on 3M 1080-G364 with my Mutoh 1624 ValueJet (EcoSolvent) Printer?

lushdub

I have a client who needs a certain vinyl wrap that I can't replicate the effect with on my printer with a regular blank 3M IJ180. Am I able to print on it and if so what issues can I run into and what profile should I be running?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Black will show up decent but all other colors will look either washed out and/or just muddy. The inks are more transparent than most people think.

lushdub

Black will show up decent but all other colors will look either washed out and/or just muddy. The inks are more transparent than most people think.
Yeah, so this is actually the color the client I have is wanting. This orange metallic effect on that material. We're trying to design a marble print on top of the orange so maybe ill work out since it's mainly black will be printing.

Attachments

• 3M ORANGE.jpeg
    3M ORANGE.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 102
  • MARBLE.jpeg
    MARBLE.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 106

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Yeah, so this is actually the color the client I have is wanting. This orange metallic effect on that material. We're trying to design a marble print on top of the orange so maybe ill work out since it's mainly black will be printing.
That could work possibly. I'd get a sample first and test it out before committing!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Are you going to lam it after to protect the print?
I've printed on 7125 ( with a 1624) but not on 2080. Doesn't it have a built-in top layer to protect the color base?
Seems it might get a little thick with an extra layer on top. Might not stretch and conform as well as unprinted 2080.
Should be interesting - post your results if you make it work.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Are you going to lam it after to protect the print?
I've printed on 7125 ( with a 1624) but not on 2080. Doesn't it have a built-in top layer to protect the color base?
Seems it might get a little thick with an extra layer on top. Might not stretch and conform as well as unprinted 2080.
Should be interesting - post your results if you make it work.
Good call on the lam. Without it you'll get 3 years on the ink but probably less if they get regular car washes.

MikePro

i print on vinyl all the time to utilize basecolor. I have no experience with ecosolvent, but I haven't had issue with latex or solvent prints in the past... always worth printing a sample, but keep in mind that metallic/reflective effects get drastically dulled with anything but luster/gloss/opticallyclear overlaminate.

if you don't think you have enough material to simply "run a sample", simply laminate a swatch of it onto a roll of your printer material, gently wipe with microfiber&isopropyl, and then run it thru printer per usual.

danno

I printed on some 1080 films when they first came out. After laminating, I experienced some issues with ink/laminate adhesion to the surface. 3M told me the film wasn't ment to be printed on. When the laminate started peeling, it took the ink with it. I was printing with a Seiko M-64 and a HPL26500 at that time.