• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Am I screwed or simple fix?

Kemble

I moved from MI to CO and during that time my printer was off for about 2 weeks. Upon setting up I ran 2 nozzle checks with poor results on all 4 colors. I then ran 2 long cleanings back to back then i ran a nozzle check 4 times and 3 of the 4 colors came out great. My black however I can't seam to get full lines.

Suggestions? Or am I gonna be out a few thousand dollars for new print heads?

Mutoh Valujet 1204

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 114

ExecuPrintGS

what JHill said! I was on vacation for a week and no one in the shop ran our mimaki all week, came back did 2 long head soaks and a couple cleanings and it was back in business.

SignosaurusRex

I would try a head soak with cleaning solution first

Yes to this.
If it was only 2 weeks that the printer was off, A good head soak of 6-8 hours should clear it up. After the head soak, the test print will look all one color. You will need to run a few cleanings to clear out the "bleed-back", until the "Cross-contamination" of the colors is gone. I also have a VJ 48" and had an experience like you, but mine was 3 weeks....
everything cleared up and working fine. The print head is all one unit... pushing close to the $5,000.00 mark now for the head itself. :omg:

Kemble

ok, I'll take it apart and do a soak. Just put some cleaning solution in a Tupperware bowl and fully submerge it for the day then? A bit nervous taking it apart but since the machine is 5 years old I guess now is as good as any to see whats inside :p

SignosaurusRex

ok, I'll take it apart and do a soak. Just put some cleaning solution in a Tupperware bowl and fully submerge it for the day then? A bit nervous taking it apart but since the machine is 5 years old I guess now is as good as any to see whats inside :p

NO! Not that way.

Kemble

eh.... Explain head soak procedure then. I've never done one or heard of it. I've had the printer for 5yrs now and this is the first thing to ever go wrong with it.

SignosaurusRex

I prefer the following method...

1. Replace the capping station sponge with a new one. If you don't have one...remove the sponge and squeeze out as much ink as possible between folded layers of paper
towel and return it to the capping station. (this helps reduce the "Bleed-back")
2. use a large syringe fitted with needle to draw O.E.M. cleaning solution from a cleaning cartridge. (The point of entry into the cart should be obvious)
3. Take one of your little 4"x4" cleaning cloths, tightly fold it in half, then fold into 3rds (6 layers). press it as flat as possible and then place it on top of the capping station
sponge and flood it and the sponge with cleaning solution.
4. With the head height raised, move the head to it's home... over the cap station and lower the head.
5. Let the head sit for 6 to 8 hours.
6. Raise print head and slide clear of station, remove cloth, return head to station and run a few strong cleaning cycles, run test print.
7. Repeat if necessary.

(NOTE): The Black always clogs the most and easiest. The Black pigments seem to be the densest and most likely more coarse. If you permanently loose 1 or 2 of the individual segments of Black in the test print, it will not noticeably affect your prints in most cases.

Kemble

I prefer the following method...

1. Replace the capping station sponge with a new one. If you don't have one...remove the sponge and squeeze out as much ink as possible between folded layers of paper
towel and return it to the capping station. (this helps reduce the "Bleed-back")
2. use a large syringe fitted with needle to draw O.E.M. cleaning solution from a cleaning cartridge. (The point of entry into the cart should be obvious)
3. Take one of your little 4"x4" cleaning cloths, tightly fold it in half, then fold into 3rds (6 layers). press it as flat as possible and then place it on top of the capping station
sponge and flood it and the sponge with cleaning solution.
4. With the head height raised, move the head to it's home... over the cap station and lower the head.
5. Let the head sit for 6 to 8 hours.
6. Raise print head and slide clear of station, remove cloth, return head to station and run a few strong cleaning cycles, run test print.
7. Repeat if necessary.

(NOTE): The Black always clogs the most and easiest. The Black pigments seem to be the densest and most likely more coarse. If you permanently loose 1 or 2 of the individual segments of Black in the test print, it will not noticeably affect your prints in most cases.

Any harm in doing that method and letting it sit overnight, say 12-14 hours?

SignosaurusRex

Any harm in doing that method and letting it sit overnight, say 12-14 hours?

I can't say for sure regarding 12 - 14 hours. The longest I ever let mine sit was close to 8 hours with Mutoh OEM cleaning fluid. I suppose it would not hurt to go longer but I prefer to take it slow and easy.

If one or two soaks at 6-8 hours each don't do the trick, one has nothing to loose....

Kemble

(3) 8 hour soaks and my nozzle test for black hasn't regained 1 line at all :( on the 12h test now.

So the broken up lines in the nozzle check IS the print head? or could it be dried ink somewhere else? in the lines at all ? I don't know how the technology works.

player

The techniques below are last resort and should be researched and done carefully and meticulously with as little stress done to the head as possible. I have experience with the DX4 heads. Same technology, only 2 channels per head instead of 6 or 8.

I have had success by soaking a swab with cleaner and just barely touch the bottom of the head with the sponge. NO PRESSURE AT ALL. Hold it there as long as you can. (5-10 minutes). Then do a cleaning.

You can put a piece of swab into the captop so when you do the head soak the sponge is touching the head. Then do a cleaning.

With the DX4 head (yours must be newer all in one head) it is possible to put a hypodermic needle barrel onto the hose that goes from the captop to the pump and pull ink through the head from the bottom. This must be done carefully as there is a membrane inside the head that is easily ruined with too much pull from the needle, killing the head. Perhaps pinch off the other colour lines so the suction only pulls the black ink.

Another option is carefully pushing cleaner into the head through the top. Again, a risky move for the inexperienced. Too much pressure will ruin your head.

Don't work the head too much all at once. Let it sit for a day or two after a session. I have had them come clean after a soak a day or two later on their own.

Careful!

Compilla

I moved from MI to CO and during that time my printer was off for about 2 weeks. Upon setting up I ran 2 nozzle checks with poor results on all 4 colors. I then ran 2 long cleanings back to back then i ran a nozzle check 4 times and 3 of the 4 colors came out great. My black however I can't seam to get full lines.

Suggestions? Or am I gonna be out a few thousand dollars for new print heads?

Mutoh Valujet 1204

Still ink flow to the waste tray ?

When was the last time you replaced the MSA ?

Dizimoto

Dunno if this will help.... I had some blocked nozzles on black head (Mimaki) - so I replaced the black ink cartridge with cleaning solution, and pulled through from the pump with a syringe... All nozzles cleared...repeated with Black Ink Cart inserted....All good

Kemble

Still ink flow to the waste tray ?

When was the last time you replaced the MSA ?

What is MSA?

Ive had the printer for 5 years and the only thing I have ever bought for it was material and ink.

over the weekend I took the head assembly apart. Got some air in all 8 lines. After I put everything back together I ran 3 long cleanings, 5 of the 8 lines pulled ink through them. My 2 black and 1 blue still have air in them. I'm assuming these 3 lines are not getting suction? What fixes this?

I agree 100% with the head soaking. The other variable is the capping station. Is it sealing and pulling ink properly? Make sure the head is in the low position. You could hook a syringe up to the 2 hoses that come out of the pump. Try pulling. Do you hear air being sucked? Plan B might be to get a Mutoh technician in there.