• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

AMD vs Intel

choucove

I think Casey put it very well here. It does depend upon your situation and circumstances. When I am doing a system for a customer, the biggest reason why I would chose an AMD system over an Intel system is going to probably be related to cost. With a limited budget, AMD will offer a better value in general than the same cost spent on Intel. However, if you've got a much larger budget to work with, that advantage has less impact and it's more important to get the higher performance capable with Intel at higher prices.

I don't mean to sound like I'm touting and cheering only for AMD, yes I use them for the majority of systems we build, but even the new design workstations we put in at our office this winter were all using the same Intel Core i5-760 quad-core processor. An AMD Phenom II X6 1090T with six cores running at 3.2 Ghz would have been just as powerful (perhaps even a little more so) but it also runs hotter than the Core i5 processor and in testing found that the software performed identically on the Intel platform as it did on the AMD platform at identical costs. In the end, the deciding factor was heat. Even though the AMD processor has two more cores, for about everything that our office does the Intel processor performed just the same, but did so at lower temperatures.

Casey said it right, leave it to the experts. There are just so many factors depending upon your own circumstances that can make this decision because as it stands, one side cannot completely beat out the other in every situation.

The new Sandy Bridge systems from Intel are fabulous performance workhorses, you really just can't beat them. Yet. Of course in technology everything changes and this summer should see the revealing of AMD's new processor and platform, known as Bulldozer, which engineering samples for the workstation and server platform have already heralded great praises, as have the ultra-portable versions already shipping in many thin and light laptops known as Fusion. I'm curious how this new architecture will compare with today's systems as it addresses multitasking workloads radically improved compared to similar existing processors. About this same time, Intel will also be releasing its new LGA 2011 socket processor and platform, which will upgrade and (eventually) replace the LGA 1366 socket architecture of Nehalem. LGA 2011 promises to also bring integrated technologies (USB 3.0, SATA III, and perhaps even PCI-Express 3.0) to greatly increase performance just as when Nehalem originally released.

round man

My vote is for Intel,..I'm not gonna bore anyone with details just my personal opinion without the tech stuff that gets twisted out of shape and starts long assed debates over nuthin really important,....

smdgrfx

I will go ahead and throw my $.02 in...

I upgrade my machines every year. I like having fast machines. Keyword - fast. What I have noticed over the last ten years...The faster processor gets the job done quicker. What is that worth to you? All of my systems are currently Intel. They are all overclocked. They are all water cooled. They all have SSD drives for the OS. They are all very fast. From the duo core to the i7 quad core, they all run very similar with design software. My rip station did not run any faster with a quad core than a duo core at the same clock speed. The faster the machine, the faster it gets done. So, the i7 clocked at 4.2ghz with 12gb of ram on a newer generation SSD beats out the others every time. As others have said, you get what you pay for.

The new AMD PhenomX4 Black just came out a few days ago and stock clock is 3.7ghz. I am thinking of building a new machine just to test this monster out. Should be able to overclock to 4.3ghz easily and then see what it can do...But for the same price, you can get an i7 960 that I know can overclock to 4.2ghz and probably give the AMD some serious trouble. Again though, it all boils down to price...just like the others are saying. Intel boards are more expensive. I want to give the AMD a shot because the newer AM3+ boards have nicer integrated graphics and should save me money by not having to buy a nice video card just to run dual monitors. And the Bulldozer is around the corner....Hello FX series!! Might be interesting....