• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ampersand abuse: I'm callin' the font cops right now

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Ampersands are unique unto themselves, and I really like them. Over the years, I've seen wonderful examples of how they can take on a life of their own, and really dress up an image.

Along with the good, I've also seen bad. But I've never seen such a hideous case as this one. This example graces the cover of our new telephone book, and the poor little guy looks absolutely whipped...like he's holding on for dear life.

The Neanderthal-like (knuckle dragging) pseudo "descender" looks like the arm of one of those red plastic (barrel of) monkeys. I never knew ampersands had descenders.

JB

Attachments

• Amp.jpg
    Amp.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 109

skyhigh

Touchy-Feely little fella.....or just plum tuckered out.

A second look, it seems like it trying to pull the "B"'s head down. Could explain the oversized descender :rolleyes:

It seems to read "Et" very well. I actually like how it looks like a slanted uppercase t, but I don't like the touchy feely vibe. On it own, I think it's a nice example of a new twist on a classic ampersand. It would be nice to see what the entire title looks like.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
It seems to read "Et" very well. I actually like how it looks like a slanted uppercase t, but I don't like the touchy feely vibe. On it own, I think it's a nice example of a new twist on a classic ampersand. It would be nice to see what the entire title looks like.

I don't want to diss the entire telephone book because they're a good company, and the historical photo on the cover is top notch. I only wish they would have done something more elegant to enhance the theme.

JB

SignManiac

It's use is very comforting and nurturing. I get a sense of connection along with a protective and loving relationship. Very emotive and can see why a guy wouldn't probably use it in that way. From a male perspective it doesn't make logical sense. From the female perspective it makes total sense. The Venus versus Mars psychology.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
heavy, sad or horny..... shouldn't the shadow look more like this ?? Instead of taking shadowing away ??

phone&.jpg