• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another copyright question

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Hmmmm ... I thought personal use was permitted the same as it's allowed to tape a movie or record music for personal use.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You can do it in the US using these guidelines...

Regulations for Reproducing U.S. Currency Images
Whether you're talking about doing an informational handout for your commercial customers, doing in-house training, or using images of money in your advertising, you'll want to know what federal law says regarding color illustrations of U.S. currency. The pertinent federal regulation appears below:

Regulations for Reproducing U.S. Currency

PART 411 -- COLOR ILLUSTRATIONS OF UNITED STATES CURRENCY

Authority: 18 U.S.C. 504; Treasury Directive Number 15-56, 58 FR 48539 (September 16, 1993)

411.1 Color illustrations authorized.
(a) Notwithstanding any provision of chapter 25 of Title 18 of the U.S. Code, authority is hereby given for the printing, publishing or importation, or the making or importation of the necessary plates or items for such printing or publishing, of color illustrations of U.S. currency provided that:
(1) The illustration be of a size less than three-fourths or more than one and one-half, in linear dimension, of each part of any matter so illustrated;
(2) The illustration be one-sided; and
(3) All negatives, plates, positives, digitized storage medium, graphic files, magnetic medium, optical storage devices, and any other thing used in the making of the illustration that contain an image of the illustration or any part thereof shall be destroyed and/or deleted or erased after their final use in accordance with this section.
(b) [Reserved].

Interestingly enough, I contacted the Secret Service about selling and reproducing graphic files such as I have beneath and they had no objection. Their concern seemed to be focused on size and two sided prints as well as suitability for counterfeit printing. That's why when you see US currency in print or in film it will be curled or distorted in some way.

The currency pictured below has been distorted in two directions. On a side note, when I scanned them in Photoshop, I got a warning dialog but it still allowed the scan, additional editing and saving.

currency100.jpg

P

ProWraps™

fred, you and i see this every day we watch a vid.
and the attachment below is what i was talking about.

dont you love the parchement background! but what i have hilighted is the scary part for all. WITHOUT MONITARY GAIN. they will prosecute. ..

Attachments

• copyright.jpg
    copyright.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 74

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Hmmmm ... I thought personal use was permitted the same as it's allowed to tape a movie or record music for personal use.

That is covered under this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Home_Recording_Act

You might be talking "Fair Use" There are conditions where you can use fair use, but just because money is not involved may not cover the defense of fair use. It might be a "technical" infringement. Legally wrong (like speeding a couple of miles over the speed limit) it gets to be a personal thing and what context of fair use when you replicated it.

Billct2

I often wonder about the many uses of copyrighted images seen in our trade publications, especially on race cars and hot rods, some of which are used in ad campaigns by sign suppiers. You think every Yosemite Sam, Mighty Mouse or Spiderman has been approved for use?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
fred, you and i see this every day we watch a vid.
and the attachment below is what i was talking about.

dont you love the parchement background! but what i have hilighted is the scary part for all. WITHOUT MONITARY GAIN. they will prosecute. ..

Saying it and doing it are two entirely different things. How many times has this particular situation been successfully prosecuted? How many time has it been prosecuted regardless of outcome?

Zero and zero would be my guess. This warning gives every appearance of being an example of preemptive huffing and puffing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Saying it and doing it are two entirely different things. How many times has this particular situation been successfully prosecuted? How many time has it been prosecuted regardless of outcome?

Zero and zero would be my guess. This warning gives every appearance of being an example of preemptive huffing and puffing.

Therefore, it makes it alright ?? :covereyes: Yeah, I'm beginning to see your reasoning power too. Behind the big words, you make you own laws also. Okay. Fair enough.

I would love to hop on some of the people who are totally against copywriter computers..
Just like chuch people..

Do as I say, Not as I do

bob

Therefore, it makes it alright ?? :covereyes: Yeah, I'm beginning to see your reasoning power too. Behind the big words, you make you own laws also. Okay. Fair enough.

Being a rational anarchist I try to march to my own drummer. If I obey a law it's most likely not because it's the law but because it's what I would have done anyway. I have my own view of the curious notion of 'intellectual property' and it bears only a passing resemblance to the miserably outdated code structure currently extant.

You can run out and enact whatever laws you feel you need to make you feel comfortable. If these laws are in concert with my personal ethics then I'll probably go along with them. If they're not I won't pay a whole hell of a lot of attention to them. Depending.

On a larger note, does it bother you that you live in a society sufficiently complex that you're expected to hire a technician to interpret for you the very rules by which you're supposed to live?

In an ideal society there would be no rules, everyone would just naturally do the right thing.

Bigdawg

Just Me
...In an ideal society there would be no rules, everyone would just naturally do the right thing.

But who gets to decide what the right thing is? If I create something, in my eyes it is right that no one reproduce it without paying or at least asking. In the end-user's eyes it is right that they can use my stuff for their personal gain (whether it is for them personally or for sale). So it follows that there must be someone - something - that governs what is right.

I do realize in a total anarchy you would just fight it out to the death...

bob

But who gets to decide what the right thing is?

...deletia...

I do realize in a total anarchy you would just fight it out to the death...

Decision as to rightness isn't necessary. As noted, everyone would just naturally do the right thing. Which of course leads to the perplexing question: Is it right because you do it or do you do it because it's right? If the former, how will you know if it's right. If the latter, how do you know that the agency that proclaims it right isn't operating from fiat or unenlightened self-interest?

Actually, doing the best thing is preferable to doing the right thing. The notion of 'the right thing' is always rather unctuous.

Your view of anarchy is somewhat jaded. The term has been hijacked to represent something which it most certainly is not, hence your 'fighting it out to the death' statement.

Anarchy is the gentlest of all philosophies. The ultimate in live and let live.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Being a rational anarchist I try to march to my own drummer. If I obey a law it's most likely not because it's the law but because it's what I would have done anyway. I have my own view of the curious notion of 'intellectual property' and it bears only a passing resemblance to the miserably outdated code structure currently extant.

You can run out and enact whatever laws you feel you need to make you feel comfortable. If these laws are in concert with my personal ethics then I'll probably go along with them. If they're not I won't pay a whole hell of a lot of attention to them. Depending.

On a larger note, does it bother you that you live in a society sufficiently complex that you're expected to hire a technician to interpret for you the very rules by which you're supposed to live?

In an ideal society there would be no rules, everyone would just naturally do the right thing.

bob, it's because of you and your kind that we need people to make more and more stringent laws to protect us from self-centered people such as yourself that actually believe they are in fact.... above the law. In the end, I can only surmise that the 'Depending' portion has to do with how closely someone is watching you and what you're doing at the time.

In no way am I insinuating that you are purposely doing anything wrong, but giving out informatuion based on your ideal society without rules just doesn't make it in the rest of the world bob. I thought you would be smart enough to at least know the obvious. The rest of us AREN'T living in your world, thank goodness. So, since we're not coming to you or your world would and you indeed are visiting our world or at least :signs101:..... would and could you keep in mind addressing our questions with our rules and keeping everything on an even playing field even for us sign people ??

S

scarface

Well Capcom told me they cannot give anyone permission at all no matter what. Guess it's back to the drawing board on convincing the client to still keep his business with me just on a original design.