• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another hand carved HDU sign. (with gilding)

signmeup

I sand the letters a bit with 320 grit aluminum oxide paper. I buy the stearate coated stuff... for sanding painted things. I don't sand them very much. Mostly to feather the cut edge of the paint. (the panels are pre-painted and I carve the lettering through a paint mask)

Adrian

Salmoneye

Sorry Adrian, I wasn't very clear. What kind of tools do you use for your sanding? Especially for the small stuff it seems like it would be hard to get in those corners etc... In small spaces I have used paper around a putty knife etc, just wondering if you used any special tools. Also do you do your V-carve with straight chisels, bevel chisels, curved gouges or ? I have been wanting to buy a couple of tools but want to know what others use.
Sam

signmeup

Sam... I just use fingers and the piece of sandpaper itself. Like I said, the letters are pretty smooth to start with. The paint makes them smooth too.

The large lettering on the sign posted here was done with a 1.5" wide cabinet makers chisel from the building supply and a box cutter. Except for the curved letters. I used a 1.25" cabinet chisel that I heated and bent into a shallow curve. Not a gouge shape, just a bent chisel.

Most of the curly gold accent was done with a 1/2" Ashley Iles bent V tool.

All the lettering on the ribbon was done with the V tool. (box cutter to neaten corners up)

Attachments

• CarvingTools.jpg
    CarvingTools.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 132

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So.... are you more satisfied with the cordless version, rather than the electric kind ?? :rolleyes: