• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another mural in Wisconsin

Joe Diaz

Finished this up this weekend. 4 guys, 3 day using Nova Color and Porter Paints. We couldn't ask for better weather or company.

IMG_3786.JPG IMG_3788.JPG IMG_3796.JPG IMG_3799.JPG IMG_3800.JPG IMG_3803.JPG IMG_3811.JPG IMG_3812.JPG

Justin

Could you explain the steps of doing a mural like this?

Hi,

Could you explain the steps to doing a mural like this? Do you create everything for a mockup on Illustrator/Corel etc then do a grid of sorts on the building and paint by grid sections, or?

Thanks

It looks amazing and vibrant! Awesome job!

MikePro

simply awesome.
that's not too far from a college campus I frequently do work for. I definitely intend to stop-by, and admire it sometime in the near future.

Joe Diaz

Hi,

Could you explain the steps to doing a mural like this? Do you create everything for a mockup on Illustrator/Corel etc then do a grid of sorts on the building and paint by grid sections, or?

Thanks

It looks amazing and vibrant! Awesome job!

Well it's designed in CorelDRAW. Then for this particular job we used a combination of an overhead projector and pounce patterns, the mural was too large and too many obstetrical were in the way to project the entire mural in one shot. So we pounced the border edges first and used snap lines to get the overall layout positioned on the wall. Then we projected the center and the rest of the right and left wings and used sharpies to get some of the detail on the wall. We used pounce patterns later on after much of the mural was painted to do some of the more detailed work like the logo in the bottom center portion of the mural and the musical notes.

Most of the paint with the exception of the some of the colors I used on the car were premixed. We print out a few color swatches on our Roland than mix colors to match the design. To help us save time, I also create color maps (also printed on the VersaCamm to help us find where the colors need to go. You would think that part would be easy, but when you are right up on the wall, it helps to have those maps. A few minutes on the computer and planning before hand can shave hours off of a job like this. So it's a good marriage of new technology and traditional sign painting.

The grid method is good for certain projects, especially jobs where you can't project, like a circular building, but I have found that it's less effective of a method especially when you are working with multiple painters. If you can take advantage of those other methods of transferring a design to a wall, then I prefer to do that. Just my personal opinion though.

Craig Sjoquist

Outstanding indeed.

This is another fine example when seeing everyday ya just will not get tired seeing, great team effort & well done.

Also seeing this, sure wish Orlando would allow sizes like this & more advertising per business for painted surfaces.

Joe Diaz

Thanks for explaining! I'd like to get into doing these too!

You should come to a Walldog meet then. You can get a hands on lesson.

Outstanding indeed.

This is another fine example when seeing everyday ya just will not get tired seeing, great team effort & well done.

Also seeing this, sure wish Orlando would allow sizes like this & more advertising per business for painted surfaces.
Thanks Craig, you know up here these things are out of code too. However since the city is involved, and since they see these as more than just advertisements but attractions, I've noticed they can become pretty skilled at breaking (or bending) their own rules. LOL It's actually much harder to convince the powers that be in a certain community the impact these murals make, then for them to bend the rules for jobs like these, but once it sinks in they are hooked.

This mural for example is supposed to be about music and the river walk in that town, not an advertisement. However, the only way the city could raise the funds for it and murals like it was corporate sponsors, so this particular mural was sponsored by Couri Insurance so their logo was included and the car is the owner of Couri's car too. Since these are commissioned jobs and not a part of a Walldog meet, they can get away with doing it that way, since, as you know, the Walldogs wont paint advertisements for businesses in that town at a Walldog meet, just murals with historic themes.

rjssigns

Did you know I was Joe's most bestest helper? Yesirree, I stayed way far away from any of the awesome work being done.

Too cool. :thumb:

artaddictguy

Thanks for this...

I never thaught about projecting an image off the 'canvas'. Glad to see these unique ways of painting are been done in an age where everything seems to be printed. In this job the poor versacamm was bypassed!
What is used at the end of the job to seal and protect this...clear coat perhaps..
Is there any other unique practical way that large murals sketches are put down...

ExecuPrintGS

Joe,
Where in waukesha was this? Thats where i live and close to the shop i work at but ive never seen it.

Awesome work.

TimToad

From one 'ol Wall Dog to the current generation, well done. I remember a day when terms like "fitches" and "cutters" were in every signmaker's lexicon. I found some old Letterhead info online that has a few photos of myself conducting a blending and pictorial painting seminar at the big meet in Chicago back in 1985, but after a recent move I can't find those links again.

In fact, it warms my heart to even see the term "Wall Dog". I was featured in an article about our dying breed in 1981 in Signs of the Times. Glad to see folks still at it.

Joe,

Would you happen to possibly know an old cohort, JeffGibbs from Des Plaines, IL.? We were close friends and he is still from what I understand, total old school. I lost touch after moving out west and when in town visiting family and friends, I just can't find him.