• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another nifty thing for keeping T-posts taught with banners

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
T-posts seem to sag or pull in when you hang a banner from them... I added "Trampoline Straps" to them to keep them taught... Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/JUMP-POWER-T...08047&s=gateway&sprefix=trampo,aps,181&sr=8-6

YjXnYHr7YrZqcCz5McfUIsNNmOK6QtRJf90OMhUZWUJBLVl9EVU835-HezOFZgcxNb1Avz2HURku7Ps_DgimcSPDV8kGkcVDE1x-RfiYI-xAARYquYQmwkB0ZD8jc3BImtxx68ApUxw=w1920-h934-no

visual800

cool idea for sure I just quit doing these things altogether UNLESS I can pound some fence posts into ground and use those

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
cool idea for sure I just quit doing these things altogether UNLESS I can pound some fence posts into ground and use those
Yea, that's the better way to do it.. I would run into the issue with customers only wanting to use T-posts and not going all the way with fence posts or wood posts because of needing to drill a hole. I know that when they do the T-posts it's going to end up caving in on itself. I'd offer installation of fence posts but by the time you add up going to Home Depot to get the posts, and then going onsite to install (maybe calling in a dig ticket) I'd be at $125 at a minimum which sometimes is as much as the banner itself. These straps are an easy do-it-yourself without requiring tools.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Hope you are a Prime member to get the free shipping.
Administration needs to start a new thread called "Nifty Things".

Isn't everyone a prime member?? Haha.

It's sick how fast they deliver stuff. Had an order of 10 handicap signs with 10 "van accessible" riders... Was going to make them myself but I couldn't justify it for the price that amazon is selling them for. Ordered yesterday and they should be here today.

Lucky Sky

Yea, that's the better way to do it.. I would run into the issue with customers only wanting to use T-posts and not going all the way with fence posts or wood posts because of needing to drill a hole. I know that when they do the T-posts it's going to end up caving in on itself. I'd offer installation of fence posts but by the time you add up going to Home Depot to get the posts, and then going onsite to install (maybe calling in a dig ticket) I'd be at $125 at a minimum which sometimes is as much as the banner itself. These straps are an easy do-it-yourself without requiring tools.
I'm confused, "T-Posts" are fence posts. At least the ones we use are. We get them from a Farm and Ranch supply in bulk for about $10 each. What are you calling fence posts?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'm confused, "T-Posts" are fence posts. At least the ones we use are. We get them from a Farm and Ranch supply in bulk for about $10 each. What are you calling fence posts?

Lots of stuff is called fence post..

What I call T-Posts are the green things that are like $3-$4/ea. (Example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...t-Green-Steel-Fence-T-Post-901176EB/205960892 )

"Fence" post is this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGAR...d-Metal-Fence-Corner-Post-328944DPT/100322502

They are all "fence posts" really... The greens are used to keep cattle in, the gal steel are for chain link fence.

Another idea... Just use 3/4” metal conduit or a 1x board between the two t post, top and bottom. Drill a hole in the conduit/board and zip tie it to the t post. Zip tie or screw the grommets all the way across the top and bottom.Works great and you don’t have to order anything and no ugly straps to deal with.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
They ask me how long will a banner last with two posts? Well, maybe till the next storm so what you really need to do is cement some posts in the ground so they don't cave in on themselves... but really that will only last a year or so. We could do a post and panel sign made out of ACM but when it's dark you'll need some lights shining on it. Matter of fact, you might as well get an internally lit pole sign.. can I write you up for that $10,000 order or did you just want the banner?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, it will need a light source of some sort either internally or externally, but a banner wouldn't need it ??

The plywood defeats the purpose of a banner. By the time you pay for plywood and a banner, you could have just have sold the customer mdo.

Ummm, 1/2" 4 mil plywood is $15-20 for a 4' x 8' sheet. 3/4" is $25-30, at least it is around here. If you want ground contact, you can get 1/2" GC plywood for $35.

Another idea... Just use 3/4” metal conduit or a 1x board between the two t post, top and bottom. Drill a hole in the conduit/board and zip tie it to the t post. Zip tie or screw the grommets all the way across the top and bottom.Works great and you don’t have to order anything and no ugly straps to deal with.

And using a sheet of plywood differs from this concept in what way (aside from plywood being generally superior)?

LOLOLOL

best way to mount a banner is on plywood

f'n craziest thing i ever heard

Posts don't sag, the banner stays taut, and essentially lasts MUCH longer. Yeah, that's just crazy.

They ask me how long will a banner last with two posts? Well, maybe till the next storm so what you really need to do is cement some posts in the ground so they don't cave in on themselves... but really that will only last a year or so. We could do a post and panel sign made out of ACM but when it's dark you'll need some lights shining on it. Matter of fact, you might as well get an internally lit pole sign.. can I write you up for that $10,000 order or did you just want the banner?

Don't quit your day job, Tex. You're not cut out to be a comedian, in case nobody has ever mentioned it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ummm, 1/2" 4 mil plywood is $15-20 for a 4' x 8' sheet. 3/4" is $25-30, at least it is around here. If you want ground contact, you can get 1/2" GC plywood for $35.
Guess I'm showing my ignorance, but what is mil plywood When speaking of plies, it only comes in odd numbers.
And using a sheet of plywood differs from this concept in what way (aside from plywood being generally superior)?
He's not using a banner, but a rigia piece of substrate.
Posts don't sag, the banner stays taut, and essentially lasts MUCH longer. Yeah, that's just crazy.
Don't know what this one means ??
Don't quit your day job, Tex. You're not cut out to be a comedian, in case nobody has ever mentioned it.
Whenever anyone asks me for a banner, I will always try to upsell to a more permanent and longer lasting project, too.

Not really sure, why' you're nitpicking these posts, but they're all pretty much 'spot on'. Banners belong on walls, fences or between two substantial uprights. Anyone setting up two posts without securing them properly is being totally misguided.... either by a novice or someone trying to cut corners. If someone wants a temporary sign, it would be cheaper to make a sled sign and put a piece of 10mm Cor-X in there. I've never seen or heard of someone purposely mounting a banner to a piece of plywood, unless it was already there.

Ya know, not anywhere on your website, do you mention banners being mounted to plywood. You have banners mounted between strongly embedded posts and tying it fast, but nothing remotely as to what you are suggesting here. Do you do much of the installing at your company ??

Not really sure, why' you're nitpicking these posts, but they're all pretty much 'spot on'. Banners belong on walls, fences or between two substantial uprights. Anyone setting up two posts without securing them properly is being totally misguided.... either by a novice or someone trying to cut corners. If someone wants a temporary sign, it would be cheaper to make a sled sign and put a piece of 10mm Cor-X in there. I've never seen or heard of someone purposely mounting a banner to a piece of plywood, unless it was already there.

Ya know, not anywhere on your website, do you mention banners being mounted to plywood. You have banners mounted between strongly embedded posts and tying it fast, but nothing remotely as to what you are suggesting here. Do you do much of the installing at your company ??

I'm sorry, do I not have the security clearance to respond to comments around here, Chief? It's not nitpicking, It's sharing my personal opinion just like anyone else.

You are correct, 10 mil coro is the proper alternative, not MDO, but I didn't feel like being that 'nitpicky'.

Well, there are three banners mounted to plywood, backed with T stakes along the highway within 100 yards of our shop and they aren't even banners that came from our shop. I see the same banners year after year promoting the high school football team and area events and it appears they are holding up quite well.

By the way, who's website are you looking at? Please point out the photo of a banner tied between two posts, I'd love to see that for myself.

We don't do installation other than vehicle decals here.

In response to your other questions...

"Guess I'm showing my ignorance, but what is mil plywood When speaking of plies, it only comes in odd numbers."

I meant 4 ply, not 4 mil. 4 ply is a common 1/2" plywood.

"He's not using a banner, but a rigid piece of substrate."

Where did you ever get that idea?

"Don't know what this one means ??"

Well, I'm not exactly sure how else one could possibly explain it to you.

"Whenever anyone asks me for a banner, I will always try to upsell to a more permanent and longer lasting project, too."

Yeah, because every temporary advertiser should seriously consider the long term benefits of a post and panel sign installed along the highway easement.

If someone wants to replace an actual rigid panel sign or other option with a banner because they want to be cheap, then upselling is a no-brainer.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here:

tied banners.jpg

Didn't see any other references to banners or their installation.

Anyway, I didn't say you couldn't. I don't have that kinda influence, I merely said, I didn't see the need for your nitpicking what the rest of the industry thinks and believes.
The three banners you speak of most have been by some freak accident, but since they're working all that good, by all means start suggesting that method to the masses, like ya did here.

I already said, plies come in odd numbers, not even.... not that I know of.
As someone said recently..... we can agree to disagree, in that your methods are quite unique and most likely not gonna take hold with most professionals, unless they are using old sh!t laying around and didn't make it their primary procedure.