• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another thing besides 4' flames that burns my butt...............................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Alright, we just got some sample rolls in from the show from December 5th or whenever... and all the stuff we received is marked on the shipping carton and not really all that well on the packing slip. BUT, what really gets me is..... the rolls inner cores aren't marked whatsoever and neither is the backing liner. Once these things are outta the box, how are we expected to know what we're testing and what to buy next time ??

Do you guys/gals have some sorta identifications system when certain media has no markings at all ?? :frustrated:

Care ta share ??

Moze

Precision Sign Services
sharpie_fine.jpg

:Big Laugh

Kottwitz-Graphics

I have a roll of labels that I write the info on, (it looks something like : ORC 751-068 Grass Green / Winstead's Lawn Care / Fellers / 8/16/13 ). That way, I know the color, customer, and date purchased. A lot of times if I figure how much I have left on the roll and write it on the application tape to keep it from unrolling. That way I know if I need to order a roll before getting half way through a job.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have a roll of labels that I write the info on, (it looks something like : ORC 751-068 Grass Green / Winstead's Lawn Care / Fellers / 8/16/13 ). That way, I know the color, customer, and date purchased. A lot of times if I figure how much I have left on the roll and write it on the application tape to keep it from unrolling. That way I know if I need to order a roll before getting half way through a job.

That's a good idea. I've been using Moze's technique and usually can't read half the crap I write in there, but writing it ahead of time seems like the ticket. :thankyou:

Techman

the challange is,,,, what is the product? How can one ID the product samples without some kind of label in the first place.

bikecomedy

Aw come on... why would they want you to know what you are testing on the samples and if they give the info and lot number on the regular stock they would have to warranty the stuff. Pleeeaaassse!!! :ROFLMAO:

Recently sent back two rolls on a new product looking for one with the lot number, product info on it and not being covered with dust and old dried out plastic protective covering. Dang picture of Frank on the SOB though!!! Black and white version, very dramatic!!! :banghead:

SIGNTIME

1'' masking tape to hold together and to write what it is on there just on the ends where it doesnt get printed anyway

Attachments

• IMG_20140106_144412_724[1].jpg
    IMG_20140106_144412_724[1].jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 68

Locals Find!

I am just the broker on this site so blast away if this is really out there.

This is sample material you said, so why not print exactly what it is on the material as your testing it out? This is assuming your going to use this for actual testing and not selling it to an end user of course.

Ok, now everyone line up to beat me over the head and explain to me how wrong I am. While I drink this beer and work on something to get me the hell out of this business.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I am just the broker on this site so blast away if this is really out there.

This is sample material you said, so why not print exactly what it is on the material as your testing it out? This is assuming your going to use this for actual testing and not selling it to an end user of course.

Ok, now everyone line up to beat me over the head and explain to me how wrong I am. While I drink this beer and work on something to get me the hell out of this business.

Yes, that could work.

I guess, what I didn't realize is that although these are sample rolls, I can't tell you how many companies send roll goods to us with no core or liner identifications, either. It was the fact that many rolls are already not marked and now the sample rolls are not marked. When you're doing the daily work routine and someone is experimenting/sampling new merchandise, sometimes employees might not write it down or I forget on a roll here or there. It just seems a gross mistake on their part not to identify these things for you. Why must we do another step in cataloging this inventory, when a simple slip from the factory will guarantee it's furnished correctly ?? :banghead:

jfiscus

Rap Master
Yes, that could work.

I guess, what I didn't realize is that although these are sample rolls, I can't tell you how many companies send roll goods to us with no core or liner identifications, either. It was the fact that many rolls are already not marked and now the sample rolls are not marked. When you're doing the daily work routine and someone is experimenting/sampling new merchandise, sometimes employees might not write it down or I forget on a roll here or there. It just seems a gross mistake on their part not to identify these things for you. Why must we do another step in cataloging this inventory, when a simple slip from the factory will guarantee it's furnished correctly ?? :banghead:

I think because everyone's needs are different, and the factory would have to take into account every possible industry/end use of the material. I assume you're talking about the roll converting factory, not the original factory.
I put the fields I mentioned above on my decals because they are the fields that mattered to ME. Many types look visually similar, so Type was important; Date purchased was important to me as if it somehow sits too long I need to know to pitch it; Vendor is important if the roll is defective (to time looking through POs), and price was important for specialty materials to double-check my pricing/costs.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I don't know what to tell you Gino ...

In the last 2 months I've received about 20 sample rolls of aqueous canvas material ... only 3 were marked (from kapco none the less) ... The rest ... multiple rolls shoved in a box with no id on them and all look almost the same. If you call the company they should be able to ID them for you ... but sometimes not ... It's insanity.

I wish you luck in figuring out how to ID mystery rolls out of the box. I know I sure need it.