• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Answers for master cutter owners!

johnny_loves_amy

I have the Master XY-380P , Paid $500.00. I have had it for 2+ years and is a workhorse with no problems thus far. Of course would like to go with a Graphtec, just have not went that route yet.

The settings that you posted are helpful, as sometimes circles do not completely cut. (a little hand cut fixed that ) But overall a nice plotter for an Ebay purchase.

Again, thanks for those settings !
thank%20you.gif
:U Rock:
This is good advice being given out!!!! I did exactly this a few months ago, and my BridgeCutter plotter is running awsome now.. I am still gonna get me a Roland, or Graphtes though..

stickershock23

I have a master 380p it works pretty good, 90% of the time. but when it messes up it really messes up.

Were can I make those setting adjustments if I am using singo?

the mail troubles I have is if you are doing really long cuts were the "rollers" have to go back and forth alot, the blade does not stay aligned. by time its done the cut is off by as much as 1/4" I have learned to stay away from that. fortunately in my work line I dont need to cut longer than my cutter does wide very often.

My second trouble. when I fist got it I could do tiny lettering (1/4 tall or so) now when I do those it seems to (for lack of better words) take short cuts.
If I look at my artwork the corners are square and straight, when it cuts them they are rounded, and sloppy.

Will changing some of these setting help this?

lastly, seems everyone likes the rolland cutters. I love signgo software, Ive been using it for a few years, and all the artwork I sell is on it. will a rolland machine work with signgo?

thanks in advance.

Mark

tnsmyers

I have a master 380p it works pretty good, 90% of the time. but when it messes up it really messes up.

Were can I make those setting adjustments if I am using singo?

the mail troubles I have is if you are doing really long cuts were the "rollers" have to go back and forth alot, the blade does not stay aligned. by time its done the cut is off by as much as 1/4" I have learned to stay away from that. fortunately in my work line I dont need to cut longer than my cutter does wide very often.

My second trouble. when I fist got it I could do tiny lettering (1/4 tall or so) now when I do those it seems to (for lack of better words) take short cuts.
If I look at my artwork the corners are square and straight, when it cuts them they are rounded, and sloppy.

Will changing some of these setting help this?

lastly, seems everyone likes the rolland cutters. I love signgo software, Ive been using it for a few years, and all the artwork I sell is on it. will a rolland machine work with signgo?

thanks in advance.

Mark
me too me too!! i would like the answers to these questions also because i use sign go

JC

master your master

If you power off/on between cuts it clears and then you can cut multiples or long cuts(just roll out what ever length your gonna cut)....over and over.. I haven't experienced the dreaded diagnal death cut a single time since I started doing this.

Now I'm just in the habit of powering down and up between cuts.
I'm sure combining this with the settings info mentioned above will keep you working..

If you have experience with different cutters you can master your master pretty easy...

I have put thousands of yards through mine....it paid for itself real fast.

:thumb: www.1shotsigns.com

JC

Oh... and by the way... this machine has got my business off the ground and running for 2 years so far. If its part time for now...then I have the right machine...when it goes full time I will have a nice back up..

Not everyone has the pleasure of having money tossed at them to start a business or some sort of help from some source.

Starting your own business with no help$$ after being everyone elses sign shop slave for 10 years has not been easy...but I can tell you this...

its really sweet driving by your old boss with your own truck lettered...
yeah buddy....your worst nightmare....lol...lol...lol....:thumb:

kosign

I have a chinese vinyl burner as well. Until I changed the blade, I had no problems with exact cuts. But now my text is rounded and sloppy as well, though the art looks fine.
I don't have problems with the diag cut unless I send a very lengthy file ~ 6', which I just haven't *mastered*. Though the 'select current' usually solves this in 3 - 4' files.
At this point, I'd just like to get back to the well cut fonts I had before. I'm using the flexistarter 7.5 that came with the cutter, I'm a Mac.
If anyone has some advice on tweaks to Flexi and other Mac cutware , I appreciate it.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Nope, devoted Gerber plotter user here too. Threads like this keep me one too.

tell me about it....i can honestly say i've never had an issue with a gerber plotter that was the plotters fault....whenever there's been a misscut, it's because of the material (usually the punch is off).....i'll never use anything but gerber....

Carlitos87

hello,
I have a RedSail cutting plotter and setting bust it up :D.
Another thing in FlexiSign i hit the showme botton it measure writh but when i hit the send botton it dosnt start where it measured, it start right in the border of the vinyl.

Any one that could help.

thnx

Carlitos87

help please

You saved my life with this info. Thanks a lot!!! :D :D

I have another situation with my RedSail Cutting plotter, when set the
Knife Offset to 0.012 on Flexy, when i hit the "show me button" y measures right but when i hit SEND. its cuts very close to the edge of the vinyl. even thought the design its centered.

Any Helpt will be appreciated.

Thank you.

So you bought the cheap brand plotter that people have warned you about right? Now it skips cuts diagonal lines and pauses randomly.

Well heres some info that will make your cutter run like a roland (just maybe a little LOUDER)!

First the reasons why these plotters pause sometimes.
#1 static build up and poor grounds are the number one cause for this.
#2 The packet size in your software is set by default at waay too low sizes so you computer is constantly sending tiny packets to the cutter which =pausing to catch up.
#3 Your curve settings are (again by default) too high.

Those are the major reasons for the problems you experience with these plotters.

These are ways to fix them;

#1 Make sure your machine is grounded correctly, preferably to its own outlet. Some people have reported that they have to turn off their computer to plot and the reason for this is all your equipment is sharing one ground and for some reason master cutters create a rediculous amount of static.

#2 Go into your production manager and check your packet settings, in flexi it is set at 8kb by default, go ahead and bump that number up to 1000kb. The master cutters have between 2-4mb buffer size so dont exceed 2mb.

#3 Go into production manager again and set you curve quality to medium or low setting, this will dramatically lessen the packet being sent to your cutter and is not very noticeable to the eye.

#4 For large projects set the curve quality to low.

#5 If you have a humidifier or swamp cooler(for the summer) USE them to raise the humidity to help discharge the static created. (helpful, but not required.)

#6 Make sure your settings look like this in your production manager;
Bits per second: 9600
Data bits: 8
Parity: none
Stop bits: 1
Flow control: Hardware

Click on job defaults (in flexi click on the knife tab);
Resolution: 1000.000 steps/in
Passes: 1
Knife offset: 0.012in (having this setting wrong will prevent your cutter from completing cuts and leave a tiny piece not cut)
Packet size: 1000kb
Curve quality: medium-low depending on job size.

Fallow all that and you should have a "Normal" plotter that cuts right the first time instead of doing everything twice:cool1:!

Any other questions just ask!

kilo15170

So you bought the cheap brand plotter that people have warned you about right? Now it skips cuts diagonal lines and pauses randomly.

Well heres some info that will make your cutter run like a roland (just maybe a little LOUDER)!

First the reasons why these plotters pause sometimes.
#1 static build up and poor grounds are the number one cause for this.
#2 The packet size in your software is set by default at waay too low sizes so you computer is constantly sending tiny packets to the cutter which =pausing to catch up.
#3 Your curve settings are (again by default) too high.

Those are the major reasons for the problems you experience with these plotters.

These are ways to fix them;

#1 Make sure your machine is grounded correctly, preferably to its own outlet. Some people have reported that they have to turn off their computer to plot and the reason for this is all your equipment is sharing one ground and for some reason master cutters create a rediculous amount of static.

#2 Go into your production manager and check your packet settings, in flexi it is set at 8kb by default, go ahead and bump that number up to 1000kb. The master cutters have between 2-4mb buffer size so dont exceed 2mb.

#3 Go into production manager again and set you curve quality to medium or low setting, this will dramatically lessen the packet being sent to your cutter and is not very noticeable to the eye.

#4 For large projects set the curve quality to low.

#5 If you have a humidifier or swamp cooler(for the summer) USE them to raise the humidity to help discharge the static created. (helpful, but not required.)

#6 Make sure your settings look like this in your production manager;
Bits per second: 9600
Data bits: 8
Parity: none
Stop bits: 1
Flow control: Hardware

Click on job defaults (in flexi click on the knife tab);
Resolution: 1000.000 steps/in
Passes: 1
Knife offset: 0.012in (having this setting wrong will prevent your cutter from completing cuts and leave a tiny piece not cut)
Packet size: 1000kb
Curve quality: medium-low depending on job size.

Fallow all that and you should have a "Normal" plotter that cuts right the first time instead of doing everything twice:cool1:!

Any other questions just ask!

My eBay plotter for me did the job for the past year. for the most part i had it figured out ok. after following this, my cut quality is extremely better! :thankyou: a million!!!

signmeup

You saved my life with this info. Thanks a lot!!! :D :D

I have another situation with my RedSail Cutting plotter, when set the
Knife Offset to 0.012 on Flexy, when i hit the "show me button" y measures right but when i hit SEND. its cuts very close to the edge of the vinyl. even thought the design its centered.

Any Helpt will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Knife offset has nothing to do with where the plotter starts cutting. It will start cutting at the lower right corner of your cutting software. You can position the knife with the plotter buttons to some other spot on the vinyl.

Last edited:

mountaingraphic

Thanks so much for the info! I buy all the local cutters from people who don't seem to make it in the business. Great way of getting equipment and supplies CHEAP! I bought 15 rolls of vinyl, 3 stacks of cds, the master xy-1000 with the stand and stacks of blades really cheap.

I mostly use them for backups or for different functions as I do tshirts as well so thanks again for the knowledge to get the most out of my device.

Also to make note of the blade offset, this is not a set number for each machine unfortunantly. Everyone will have a little different setting to which this needs to be. You can give a starting point however others may need to adjust depending on each machine.

andy

Superior tangential cutting action with lifting blade holder, precision friction feed PLUS a width adjustable sprocket system. Heavy duty servo motors, electronics which cost a fortune....

If you're going to buy used plotters why waste money on the Chinese stuff which was $hit even when brand new?

Having made the mistake of buying a cheap Chinese backup machine I'm buying up as many old Vytek machines as I can get my hands on.... 1m wide cutting for the same price as a cr@ppy Chinese machine.