• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

anti graffiti laminate?

proline51

hello all, i have a customer that is looking for "an indestructable sign", i said that's a relative term and if someone really wants to wreck your sign they will. so i tell him i can laminate it with anti graffiti laminate. now my question is, is it worth the extra money for this laminate, and does it really work? it says to use lighter fluid on the oracal site to remove spray paint and markers, etc. but if i remember correctly that someone had mentioned using vodka for removing spray paint off normal laminate. i will be using cast printing material, plus a cast laminate on alumabond sign board, mounted to plywood and 4x4" posts, they are looking after the mounting i am just supplying the signs. so will normal cast laminate be enough and can you remove spray paint and markers from it and if so how? or do i need to go with the anti graffiti laminate?

thanks, jkl:thankyou:

Salmoneye

I haven't used much but I have been able to buy it from GSG by the yard. It is quite thick and is much more resistant to the few things that we tested. I don't remember it being all that expensive. I would definitely use it in an area prone to vandalism.

proline51

I haven't used much but I have been able to buy it from GSG by the yard. It is quite thick and is much more resistant to the few things that we tested. I don't remember it being all that expensive. I would definitely use it in an area prone to vandalism.
thanks for the input, what brand was that? the oracal 240 anti laminate i believe is only 1 mil thick.

any other ideas out there?

thanks again!

jbennett

I had the same thing. I had a friend spray automotive clear on the sign and I think it has worked great! I can tell you that Grey Goose won't take off spray paint! Anything I used that would take off the spray paint would also take off the substrate paint/coating. Has anyone ever used just Krylon clear on a sign as a spray lam?

Vandal Guard USA

Lacquer thinner (while not environmentally friendly) should work the best to remove graffiti spray paint from most brands of graffiti laminate. Also, regular cast or calendared vinyl laminates will leave a hazy/dull look if you try to remove dried paint or permanent marker more than once. Most reputable graffiti laminates are a specially manufactured type of polyester (not vinyl) and because polyester is dimensionally stable (won't shrink or expand) it can be applied over both cast and calendared vinyl.