Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antique clock faces

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Jeff grossman, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Jeff grossman

Jeff grossman Living the dream

Nov 17, 2018
    Pa 19320
    I had a client ask about printing or hand painting antique grandfather clock face replacements - each would be one of a kind for refurbishing clocks .any suggestions ? This is something I don’t offer but would be happy to refer him to someone who could help . East coast PA location preferred
    Originally done on glass but open for suggestions . (Don’t know if flatbed printed would give the texture desired )
    Anyone out there able to help ?
    Hope to post a photo later , sorry

Tags:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    post picture of what they are wanting.

Are they looking for original reproduction or similar look?

3. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Sounds interesting. Post up a photo, I'm right around the corner from you. Or refer him to clockworks.com

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ian Stewart-Koster

Ian Stewart-Koster Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Qld, Australia
    25 years ago, I repainted several for a watchmaker/clockmaker- all hand-painted, and a bit painstaking, from memory, but all passed off ok as no different from the original.
    10 years ago I screen-printed three for another client.
    (In Australia, of course!)

5. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Flatbed UV ink would probably be the closest to paint, it sits on top of the substrate and has depth.

6. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    The Arizona’s with the touchstone tech might work. Some of the samples we seen were great. Printed the grain of the inside of a tree and it felt real! So if guess they’d get the texture desired

7. Ian Stewart-Koster

Ian Stewart-Koster Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Qld, Australia
    I just used drop black (enamel) which is like the gilders' back-up black paint.
    It dries fast, to a satin dull sheen, and does not look new or fresh.

8. Cross Signs

Cross Signs Active Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clearwater FL

Attached Files:

9. Jeff grossman

Jeff grossman Living the dream

Nov 17, 2018
    Pa 19320
    He went with an old school hand painter - needed the 3D hand paint look . He’s using someone who does truck / fire truck hand work- it ended up needing gold leaf work also . Trying to reproduce 150-200 year old grandfather clock faces - elaborate designs with gold leaf custom #’s and highlights - Exact drilled holes of diff diameters
    Still trying to get photo but due to lockdown it might be a bit
    Stay safe people

10. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    So he went to Mendenhall. Let's see if he comes back and complains on how much it cost him...