Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any way to view eps files

Discussion in 'Clipart, Vehicle Templates and Digital Files' started by watchdaride, Feb 22, 2010.

1. watchdaride

watchdaride Member

Dec 20, 2008
    orlando fl
    .I have a bunch of clipart in EPS vector. Is there a way or program that allows you to view eps files in windows xp when you use thumbnail view like how you see jpg pictures? I am using XP? I have irfanview but you have to open each on individually .

Tags:
  2. StopSignGraphics

StopSignGraphics Active Member

Jun 2, 2009
    If you have a copy of Adobe Bridge it will let you preview an eps file.

3. neato

neato Very Active Member

May 16, 2003
    Henderson, IL
  4. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    Only if it saved with a preview or you save/create it yourself. I have dozens of folders of eps clipart that bridge will not preview. I have to open/resave the eps for bridge to preview it

5. tanneji

tanneji Member

Dec 3, 2008
    +1 for irfanview!

6. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Here's a link to a thread where this was discussed just 10 days ago.

7. G-Artist

G-Artist Active Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Ifran is good as is ST Thumbnail Explorer and all those programs mentioned in the previous thread but none will work worth a damn if there isn't a Tiff header in the EPS.

8. StopSignGraphics

StopSignGraphics Active Member

Jun 2, 2009
    I didn't know that...are you sure? I've learned something new.

9. The Vector Doctor

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    Yes

Attached Files:

10. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    yeah tiff preview needs to be checked - but it bloats the eps file size so I leave it off...

11. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Au contraire Mon Ami ... Extensis Portfolio does not suffer from such shortcomings.

Here are screen shots of two EPS files I intentionally saved as EPS without a preview and then added to a Portfolio database. The first screen shows the thumbnail view and the second screen shows the detail view when the thumbnail is double clicked. The third screen shows a catalog I made some time ago with AI files without previews.

Of additional interest, the version of Portfolio that I am using is version 4 which is 10 years old. It will thumbnail and process the full size into a viewable JPG which can also be keyworded for searching later.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  12. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Extensis Portfolio is available as a 30 day free trial HERE.

There are also online videos and other documentation. Here is a link to the supported formats, which include Illustrator EPS and AI.

13. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    nice

14. The Vector Doctor

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    I may have to try the trial version. Does it work on files that you never created yourself? I have a cd with eps files that won't show the preview on anything until I actually resave it

15. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    As a publisher of vector clipart I can tell you that the only EPS and AI you can count on to work everytime is that which has been saved from Adobe Illustrator. For example, CorelDRAW and FlexiSIGN will often fail to import their own EPS exports even though other applications will handle them okay.

16. watchdaride

watchdaride Member

Dec 20, 2008
    orlando fl
    some one said on windows 7 it will show eps images on thumbnail. Any one using windows 7 can confirm this.

17. Stickerland

Stickerland New Member

Jun 18, 2003
    I can confirm Windows 7 does not show eps thumbs...

18. ronl1975

ronl1975 Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Tampa, Fl
    +1 what Fred said. Extensis Portfolio is great !

19. Tim Aucoin

Tim Aucoin Very Active Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Hmmm... on my Mac, I select the EPS file, press the spacebar and "poof", I have a large preview right there in front of me. Feature called quick view. Now... along the lines of what Fred said... it only seems to work with EPS created in Illy.

20. Tim Aucoin

Tim Aucoin Very Active Member

Thanks for that link Fred... Although I don't really need Extensis Portfolio, it has led me to their Font Management software (Suitcase Fusion 2)... and it looks like what I really need... I've always struggled with font management software!!