• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anybody in Canada installing in -30c weather?

soloinstaller

I'm just curious how many of you Canadian signmakers are doing outdoor installs in this cold weather? average temp is around -20c all the way to -30c here in Winnipeg right now. Do sign shops up here just do interior installs during this time of the year?

kanini

I have around -10c as an approximate limit here in Finland where the winter is quite cold (but I guess even colder in Canada). Frosted vinyl becomes very brittle after that and the transfer tape does not really want to cooperate, not to talk about the installer's fingers... But it depends, I've done simple lettering in -25c but it was a pain to get the transfer tape off so probably would avoid that if comes up again. I would definitely not do it in -30 but wait with the install to a warmer day. Do you have long periods with below -20? Here it's mostly only a few days up to a week and currently only -8c.

gnubler

I'm near the Canadian border and have been postponing outdoor installations until mid-March or so. We've done a few small installations, but no vinyl. I have a growing stack of window decals that I'll get to once it warms up a bit. My customers understand and are able to wait.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think you're nuts, if ya try to put vinyl down in that kinda weather. You do realize that ALL vinyl needs a certain amount of friction in order to get the adhesive molecules going to actual adhere. How can you generate any friction in that kinda cold ?? Ya can't. Therefore, the adhesive really never creates a real bond and you're hoping...... is the best thing ya have to go on in those temps.

soloinstaller

Love the dialogue going on here... I tested some intermediate vinyl (3m sc20) on glass in a variety of temperatures and found that it actually does adhere at about -18c (dry application) . Checked the bond 48 hours later and it seems was on there pretty good. The issue i find is that both the transfer tape and vinyl becomes stiff and the chance of ripping vinyl is high. But I do use Rtape 4076 which is really really high tack. I think its probably not worth the trouble and possible damage to client relationships if you botch the install or if it fails post-install. Plus its hell being out there with bare hands exposed

RockinRobLee

Lowest we'll install is -20. We use Drytac Polar which is spec'd for minimum of -20, mostly window applications. Large jobs we try to postpone till spring if possible.
Do you install wet or dry? Big panels? How do they behave for you? Looking into that material right now actually

Dan360

Do you install wet or dry? Big panels? How do they behave for you? Looking into that material right now actually

Dry. We did a graphic 20 feet wide 10 feet tall in 5 panels recently around -10c from a lift. I find it easy to work with, similar to how 40c or IJ35 is on a comfortable day. My biggest concern is tearing it when lifting so I do that very slowly. Haven't had any issues with the stuff yet.

RockinRobLee

Dry. We did a graphic 20 feet wide 10 feet tall in 5 panels recently around -10c from a lift. I find it easy to work with, similar to how 40c or IJ35 is on a comfortable day. My biggest concern is tearing it when lifting so I do that very slowly. Haven't had any issues with the stuff yet.
Impressive - thanks!