• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anybody own a colorspan 5400?

SignManiac

I do. Its sitting in the crate right now. Dealer will be here Wednesday to install and train us on it. I can't tell you very much about it yet other than the box is really big.

SignManiac

Mine was installed on Tuesday and we trained Wednesday and Thursday. I ran it on my own yesterday all day long and it worked perfectly. I can't attest to the reliability yet but I'll let you know in a month or so. So far it has lived up to the claimed performance. I ran a 25 s.f. print in approximately 10 minutes at 600x600 production quality and the print quality is excellent for my needs.

The tech was sent by Colorspan and he really knew his stuff and dialed the machine in perfect. The training was the best I've ever had compared to other equipment installs.

If the machine is dependable then I'll be one happy camper. Yesterday in one day of printing I made more than the lease payment alone. I have another job to start on Monday. Three 4x8's @ $1,400 that should take no longer than 45 minutes. Brings back memories of the early 80's when I could make a grand a day with my old SignMaker III.

My advice is don't buy one, yeah right.

BrianH

How is it doing with weight limit. I think one of the local salesman told me the weight limit was something like 35lbs? That was only after I asked. He was not to will to make that common knowledge in his sales pitch. Have you done any heavy plywood sign boards yet?

Marcus

OD,

We had ours installed about 3 weeks ago. What a gem!! I'm not sure about the reliability yet either as we've only owned it a short time, but we have had a 72UVR for 2+ years and I can tell you that Colorspan's tech support is over the top helpful. We bought the 5465 because of how comfortable we were with the 72UVR. This is what I can tell you. IT MAKES US $$!!! I will post later about any negative experiences, but as of yet, it's been a great experience. Have you ordered one yet?

Marcus

Marcus

OD,
We haven't tried aluminum yet, but we've done double sided on Dibond, coro, and pvc so far. We had some trouble with alignment the first few times but the tech at Colorspan was pretty helpful with some tips. No problems anymore.

Peace,
Marcus

Slof

Yep, we too own a ColorSpan 5400, 54", 6 colour printer since April 2007. I must say i'm pretty impressed. Had some glitches with the firmware but since the latest update installed it's even better. I must say that i hardly use the 5th and 6th colour on it because i thing the light cyaan looks to greenish and when i print for example a clear blue sky it gets a greenish tint. Haven't quite figured out how to get it better. I use the Caldera RIP with this printer so i can't use the onboard spectrometer of the Colorspan and must Calibrate by hand using an EyeOne spectrometer.

I have minor problems with the OPOS function of the Caldera RIP. Whenever i try to cut something i've printed on my Roland cutter it does not register very well. I've measured the OPOS registrationmarks and the space between them is not equal. OPOS marks must be spaced equal or don't they? When i place OPOS marks with CorelDraw with the WinPlot plugin the are spaced equal but when i place them with my Caldera RIP they're not. Needs fixing soon.

geedub

i've printed aluminum on a zund uvjet 215plus and a ganndinnovations 3150. Aluminum is one of the better printed materials IMHO. The ink bakes on WAY better than coro and it doesn't crack or anything on aluminum, HOWEVER, this isn't colorspan's ink.

Graphix Plus Ink

Interesting. I been trying to get alumimun 2sided demonstration from them for a while. Was supposed to have a demo on the 27th, then got switch to the 31st, Then on my way they call me and say don't bother cause their machine went down. Aint that a bitch!