• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anybody remember this old cutter?

Devon19515

This Gerber Signmaker V started our company but has long been retired to a dusty basement.
Does anyone have ideas what to do with it besides scrapmetal, or trying to use it?
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0415.jpg
    DSC_0415.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC_0414.jpg
    DSC_0414.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 308
  • DSC_0417.jpg
    DSC_0417.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC_0416.jpg
    DSC_0416.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 194

Billct2

If it works it may come in handy someday.
When the shop I worked in bought ours (1981?) it paid for itself in 6 months.
We got a job doing magnet vehicle signs for the gypsy installers that were stringing the first cable TV system in the county.
They were done a handful at a time and paid for by the sub contractor.
At the same time we got the job doing wall lettering for a giant chain electronics store, the names of all the brands they carried in 6" block letters repeated around the while store.

DustinD

Merchant Member
Could be a cool display for customers maybe in a lobby area? Cleaned up with some good signage it could be part of a company story / timeline piece.

rdm01

That thing is a piece of history. I'd display it somewhere.

Much like I have antique typewriters on display, this would look great in a simple case or on a stand in a lobby.

OldPaint

SOMETIMES.............you just have to put it in the scrap pile))))
how many 9600 & 14,4 modems you got?
i still have my ZIP DISC setup)))
just chucked a SCUZZI SCANNER i paid $300 for back in 1995)))
stumbled across a TV CARD for my computer))))
oh crap..........i opened a drawer in my desk.....and i GOT 5 1/4" FLOPPIES))))))
along with a crap load of 3 1/2"))))))))))))
or you could use it for a BOAT ANCHOR)))))))))))))

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Now I've got an ear worm going in my head ... "Son can you play me a memory".

[video=youtube;gxEPV4kolz0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxEPV4kolz0[/video]

At one point I had three of those all cranking out lots of lettering and profits.

Ponto

LOL...still remember digging thru my pockets for change and using assorted coins to tweak the weights for cutting force........

JP

Devon19515

is there any market for them? parts, etc.
I thought about turning it on but even with the manuals I dont think I could ever get it
to play any music.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I still have cordless screw drivers and hammers. No cords attached..... no batteries either. Sometimes, ya just hafta let go of sentimental stuff. That's all it is. Try asking a decent dollar for it and see if you get any takers. :wink:

TimToad

We bought a used, older generation EDGE from a colleague and he threw in his old 4B in with the deal.

I'm waiting to see what the hell to do with the thing.

OldPaint

i have a stack of old IDE hard drives with WINDOWS 3.11 ON EM. 30 megs))) can hookem to my present computer........but cant see anything one em)))

heyskull

OMG

This is where I started!!!!

The company I originally started with at the heady age of 17 was heavily investing into Gerber products. The company that marketed them here in the UK was Spandex.
We would get all the upgrades like an additional box on top that held fonts and outline cards. Also was one of the first with a digitser linked through I think an apple computer. If you wanted a letterstyle that you didn't have you could rent them from Spandex for a day or a week! They would post you the cartridge and when finished with you posted it back!!
I can remember a huge job with lots of small repetative text that we set up to cut over the weekend. We pressed cut on Friday at 5.30pm, came in on Monday at 8.00am and it was still cutting! It eventually finished I think about 3.00pm Monday!!!!!
This wall all set up on a Red LED screen about 2" x 1/4" !!!

Looking back, I reckon I could cut the same amount of lettering now in about a couple of hours.

We had all sorts of stuff that was tested on us. I think we had every Gerber machine that was available. We even had to try out some complete flops such as plotter blades which were made of plastic/acrylic.

Oh how technology has came on.

Good times though with some absolute stunning hardware which at the time was litterally cutting edge.

SC

decalman

I don't think anybody would pay much for it, or take it for free.Therefore, I would have to throw it away.

signguypgh

Lots of memories with 4b. I remember when my dad bought that thing. Makes the funkiest noises.

There is a guy we work with sometimes that makes awnings that loved them. After we upgraded he took it. He's got a 4b graveyard, like 5 or 6 of them. Even rarer he's got some gerber branded monochrome monitor sitting on top of one of them, whatever that does.

I've heard a few people say they are good for making stripes, if you need that often for boats or whatever. There's a guy locally that's been trying to sell one for $500 to no avail. I can't see a use beyond novelty, but that's just me.

It was funny to see it get lambasted by sign painters in the sign painter movie:

https://vimeo.com/61006621

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Ha...that is cool. Ironically, I just put a set of 5 tools for a 4A on eBay last week.

JB

ptmiff

OMG

This is where I started!!!!

The company I originally started with at the heady age of 17 was heavily investing into Gerber products. The company that marketed them here in the UK was Spandex.
We would get all the upgrades like an additional box on top that held fonts and outline cards. Also was one of the first with a digitser linked through I think an apple computer. If you wanted a letterstyle that you didn't have you could rent them from Spandex for a day or a week! They would post you the cartridge and when finished with you posted it back!!
I can remember a huge job with lots of small repetative text that we set up to cut over the weekend. We pressed cut on Friday at 5.30pm, came in on Monday at 8.00am and it was still cutting! It eventually finished I think about 3.00pm Monday!!!!!
This wall all set up on a Red LED screen about 2" x 1/4" !!!

Looking back, I reckon I could cut the same amount of lettering now in about a couple of hours.

We had all sorts of stuff that was tested on us. I think we had every Gerber machine that was available. We even had to try out some complete flops such as plotter blades which were made of plastic/acrylic.

Oh how technology has came on.

Good times though with some absolute stunning hardware which at the time was litterally cutting edge.

SC

Same here!! I remember the drive from Aberdeen to Bristol (Almondbury?) to pick it up and learn how to use it. We used it primarily for ScreenPrinting artwork with the Amber film. Did it have a whole 4 Typefaces? Cooper Black, Crillie, Times Roman and Helvetica? The new Cassette from the Housemartins was our soundtrack for that drive ... London 0 Hull 4. I remember when the Gerber Edge came out my boss told me to find another profession as it would make Screenprinting redundant. Ha!!